Sponsored by:

K&N performance kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 02:53 PM
Wildbill
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N performance kits

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 26-Mar-02 AT 04:03 PM (EST)]I have an 85 Bronco and I did not see a Fuel Injection Performance Kit from K&N for my truck, does K&N have one? If not any recommendations on another make.

My truck is stock and I want to add some performance without major changes, are there any other parts that I could replace with after market products that would give me that added performance.

WildBill

Old 03-26-2002, 04:17 PM
adelyser
Elder User
K&N performance kits

Are the '85 models fuel injected? I did not know when Ford started the EFI engines, but I was thinking around '87 or so. Not sure why.

In my opinion, the FIPK is not worth the money. Everyone I have talked to that installed one said the difference was not noticeable. This include new model trucks, Expeditions, and of course the Broncos. You would be better off spending the extra money on some other mod with better performance numbers.

Old 03-26-2002, 04:37 PM
Wildbill
New User
K&N performance kits

Yes the 85's came with Fuel Injection, what other mod's could I make to boost performance without tearing the engine apart.

WildBill

Old 03-26-2002, 05:11 PM
DeGideo
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K&N performance kits

Your 302 would benefit from a set of headers,and upgrading the rest of the stock exhaust system.

Old 03-26-2002, 05:13 PM
Bob_VT
Elder User
K&N performance kits

What kind of performance are you looking for? For every 100 lbs of weight reduction that equates to a simple gain of almost 5 hp. So clean out the truck, loose the spare, and run with the roof removed and about a quarter tank of fuel ... you will be surprised. No horsepower comes any cheaper.

A good tune up (plugs, wires, fuel and air filters) and premium gas also help. I doubt you will see significant gains with a K & N Filter pack. The K & N were actually designed to assist a "higher performance engine" (an engine that has been modified) breath better.

Bob

Old 03-26-2002, 10:38 PM
Pilotrick
Senior User
K&N performance kits

I have an 86 302 EFI and I have done a lot of research and there is nothing to be done for the EFI throttle body, short of replacing the whole manifold, injectors and distubutor. The early computer won't allow much to be done and it can't use chips or reprograming, alas the reason to change everything. My suggestion is put some headers and good exausts system and maybe a K&N filter this is about all you can do. Sorry I am in the same boat too, and this is what I did on my rebuilt 302 and it helped some but, I still need more power. That is why I am saving my money and putting a 460 in mine ASAP.
Rick Jaeger

Old 03-27-2002, 08:50 AM
fast_eddy
Senior User
K&N performance kits

Cam, cam, cam! If you can do it yourself, you can't beat the performance per dollar. Unfortunately, you have to either pull the engine or remove everything in front of the engine to put a new one in. I've also heard that ford heads are really restrictive, so you might benefit from aftermarket heads, although they are quite pricey.

Old 03-27-2002, 11:07 AM
adelyser
Elder User
K&N performance kits

Bob, premuim gas?? When running gas with an octane higher than needed, you are just spending more money per mile. The higher the octane, the slower the burn, so you have less power. The lower the octane, the faster and more complete of a burn, so you get more power (usually not noticeable) and your engine lasts longer because you don't have the extra buildup from unburned fuel.

Cams are great, it helped a good bit in my '88 F-150 with the 302, but getting the cam bearings changed if they are well worn is a real pain. I only suggest cams when doing a rebuild, unless your cam bearings look great.

If you want easy performance, try a chip from Diablo, JET, Banks, Superchip, or Hypertech (I am sure I missed a few). There are claims for up to 40 hp with a stock engine. Be careful though, most require premium gas to prevent engine damage.

Old 03-28-2002, 11:22 PM
SBV1
Junior User
K&N performance kits

I put a Jacobs Off-Road Ultra Team kit on my 86 302EFI along with the K&N filter and 3" free flowing exhaust. That made a big difference in mileage and low end performance.

Old 03-29-2002, 09:11 AM
Bob_VT
Elder User
K&N performance kits

Adelyser- yeah the premium gas was to prevent knocking only and I agree it is a waste of money...even more so in the winter months when the air has more density (at least up North). We do agree that the K&N is a waste of $$$ too. I still side by the weight loss method and the old addage "horsepower cost money...how fast you want to go"

Bob

Old 03-29-2002, 09:35 AM
adelyser
Elder User
K&N performance kits