Sponsored by:

Who's replaced front axle knuckle ball joints? 1989 w/dana 44

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 10:42 PM
Mexray
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced the steering tie rods and ends today. While installing the new stuff I discovered the RH lower str knuckle (spindle) ball joint is gonzo - with mucho play in it.

I'm going to bite the bullet and replace both the top and bottom, probably do the wheel bearings and seals while I have it apart.

the big question is - how hard is it to get the old ball joints pressed out of the str knuckle (spindle)? Is it much of a job to the the knuckle off the end of the axle - can I leave the axles in place or do they have to be pulled? Any info from someone that's done this would be most helpful. I've looked at Haynes, but some practical info might be of more help.

Thanks...

Old 03-28-2002, 11:38 AM
adelyser
Elder User

I have replaced my passenger side ball joints, and let me say, it's not the most fun I've had working on my Bronco. You will need some special tools to get it done easily. I purchased a ball joint service kit from Harbor Freight for about $40, and it was more than worth the money. Once I had the steering knuckle off, the old joints pressed right out, and the new ones pressed right in. All in about 20 minutes. The worst part is getting the knuckle off.

You will need a 2 or 3 jaw puller to get the spindle off. They are cheap, and available at most auto parts stores. After you remove the hub and rotor assembly, you will have to remove the nuts from the spindle, and then getting the spindle off is the real bear. Thread the locknuts from the hub assembly (the ones you remove with the 4-prong spanner socket) back onto the spindle, and using the jaw pullers, press against the front driveshaft to pull the spindle off. If you try to tap/hammer/pry the spindle off, you can damage parts, plus it takes a long long time. This means you do have to remove the front driveshaft, otherwise you cannot get to the inside bolts and nuts to break those ball joints loose.

I recommend while you have the thing apart, replace the inner seal and driveshaft bearings for good measure. My seal was toast, and the bearings were good, but I would rather spend the extra $20 now instead of having to take that apart again.

Having the ball joints replaced at a shop will cost you roughly $300 per side.

Total special tools needed:
4-prong spanned socket for hubs locknuts
2 or 3 jaw puller ( 6" or larger )
ball joint service kit ( www.haborfreight.com )

Check this link for pictures and instructions:
http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/tech/balljoint.html

Old 03-28-2002, 08:56 PM
Mexray
Senior User

Thanks for the info - I just bought one of those ball joint press kits you mentioned, today at HF - you are right, $39.95. I didn't know the spindle was such a problem, so I'll dig out my puller when I tackle this project. I just got the ball joints, inner and outer hub seals, and inner and outer wheel bearings, as well.

Do you have to pull both axles out of the front diff the get to the ball joints?

Old 03-29-2002, 09:35 AM
adelyser
Elder User

Nope, you only have to pull the axle-shaft out of the side from which you are replacing the ball-joints. The only reason you have to remove the axle-shaft is to get to the nuts that hold the ball joints in. If you could get to those, you could probably leave them in.

Old 03-29-2002, 09:36 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts