1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Burning smell coming from my truck after long drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 05:54 PM
slenser
More Turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burning smell coming from my truck after long drive

Sunday after coming home from Church I notice a burning smell when we took the kids to get ice cream. It almost smells like a clutch or brake burning smell. I guess, after typing this out, I should check my front brakes. I'm looking for any other hints as to what it could be. Doesn't seem to do it unless I've been driving for a while.

If sticking brakes are the problem, what is the fix?

Thank you all for your help and advice in advance,
Sam

Old 03-08-2007, 06:31 PM
wrenchturner
Elder User
a stiking caliper could be the problem. CAREFULLY!! after you drive go around and touch all the rims one might be rather hot. it is the one that's sticking. then replace that caliper. Are there any leaks that could be the problem? does your e brake release?

Old 03-08-2007, 07:15 PM
slenser
More Turbo
ebrake doesnt work and the smell is coming from the front anyway.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:24 AM
gavinhaslam
Freshman User
I've had the same on my Expy since I got it undersealed (bitumen) in September 2006.

I think the garage got a bit close to each exhaust manifold. The smell is most potent around the windshield cowling for myself but reduces over time.

Gav.

1999 Expy 5.4 XLT 4x4

Old 03-09-2007, 04:24 PM
slenser
More Turbo
I've had it for a year now and unfortunately, there is no undercoating on it. I'll be checking the front wheels tonight after some driving. In a way, I hope it is the caliper sticking, on the other hand, I don't like working on brakes. So much riding on them, ya know?

Old 03-09-2007, 06:43 PM
gavinhaslam
Freshman User
Keep us posted on what you find out.

If the caliper is sticking, I imagine you'd be able to feel the heat generated on the wheel\hub\assembly quite easily without having to jack her up and remove the wheels etc.

Gav.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:58 PM
slenser
More Turbo
Ok, so no hot wheels or caliper when I got home. Nothing extraordinary, anyway and the smell didn't seem to come from either of the wheels. When I open the hood, all I smell is antifreeze.

I just had it flushed, but I had it done because I smelled antifreeze in the first place and noticed the coolant was brown. Turns out, Dexcool is in there and of course, they replaced the same stuff in it...but that is a different subject.

I have looked and looked all in the engine compartment and cant seem to find the source of the smell. I am at my wits end. If there is a coolant leak, I cannot see it. There are no drips on the ground and no wet areas under the hood (thankfully, it has been very nice and dry the past few days). I see no steam or smoke, but I'll be darned if it doesn's stink something fierce.

Anyone know if you can readily see the infamous intake coolant leak if it is starting to go? I have tried looking down the intake, but don't see anything and I can't see very far in the intake anyway.

Part of me is itching to get rid of it before it costs me a bunch of money.

BTW, thanks for all of your input. I do appreciate it.

Sam

Old 03-12-2007, 07:31 PM
slenser
More Turbo
I talked to Jensen Auto today and they said to bring it in (which means its free) and they would look at it. Hopefully it will be something simple.

BTW, there are very few auto shops around like Jensen Tire & Auto. They are so customer service oriented, its amazing. Free rotations even if you didn't buy tires from them, free check-up like they are doing for me tomorrow, they honor competitor coupons and even price match if you forget to bring the add in! A couple of years ago, I bought a new tire from them. One of my other tires went flat and they fixed it for free. They knew it wasn't the new one too.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:37 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry I can't be more helpful in this matter; however, I will share that I have a similar smell coming from my truck, but it's usually associated with short, quick, one-way trips of about a quarter mile.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:40 AM
c_hohensee
Elder User
Originally Posted by hkiefus
I'm sorry I can't be more helpful in this matter; however, I will share that I have a similar smell coming from my truck, but it's usually associated with short, quick, one-way trips of about a quarter mile.
That wouldn't be accompanied by a strange white smoke coming from the wheel wells would it?

Old 03-13-2007, 11:58 AM
slenser
More Turbo
They found it.

It was a bad connection on the alternator. Unfortunately, I'm probably the one to blame. I installed the alternator last summer, though I'm certain I tightened it. The connector going to the battery was glowing orange. The washer was completely gone and the bolt was half gone.

On a side note, it appears my truck has been a storage area for walnuts. I guess even rodents like their food warm!