2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Codes & AutoZone

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:31 PM
anonemouse
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Codes & AutoZone

Gentlemen,

My engine light came on the other night. A dealer suggested I check the fuel cap. I did, to no avail. The next day I went to AutoZone to have them read the codes.Their scanner was unable to link with the computer. (Anyone know why?) However, I reached over and moved the fuel cap while he was trying to link and the engine light went out. I thought that was it until tonight when it came back on again. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anon

Old 02-28-2007, 11:09 PM
rods07supcrw
Junior User
It could e a bad cap....I have seen them replaced and clear codes up.....and the scanner there or at the one in my home town will get you in the ball park of what is wrong.... a while back myExpe threw one and it pointed towards the cylinder closest to the passenger side of the block.....ended up being a plug.... so at 70k new Autolites and back in business.....

Rod

Old 02-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Jager4x4
Junior User
I've had the same thing happen to me. I checked the engine light at Autozone and they said it was my fuel cap. I actually had a crack in the place the cap screwed into. I replaced the filler neck ($25 at a junk yard) which took me about an hour to do. Of course I had never done that so it might have taken me longer.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:05 AM
yellowman328is
Freshman User
Have you tried a different scanner or a different autozone? It could be that the scanner plug did not seated right in your truck's OBD II port. Furthermore, I read that you checked the gas cap and the next day you went to an Autozone, well, (if )the gas cap was the source of the problem and it was corrected, the computer takes a few driving trips to reset itsef and I think was just a coincidence that you were reaching over (again) while autozone employee was trying to figure out how to connect it. I would definitely try a different scanner brand to make sure it is not your truck's port that is defective.
Hope this gives you peace of mind.

Originally Posted by anonemouse
Gentlemen,

My engine light came on the other night. A dealer suggested I check the fuel cap. I did, to no avail. The next day I went to AutoZone to have them read the codes.Their scanner was unable to link with the computer. (Anyone know why?) However, I reached over and moved the fuel cap while he was trying to link and the engine light went out. I thought that was it until tonight when it came back on again. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anon

Old 03-01-2007, 11:10 AM
anonemouse
New User
Thanks, guys. I thought I read somewhere (although exactly where escapes me), that there was some issue with the scanners at AutoZone not being able to link with the '04 computer. Anyone know what I'm referring to?

Anon

Old 03-01-2007, 12:23 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I tried using my scanner and get a link up error. Yet it works on other vehicles.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:35 PM
anonemouse
New User
Okay, different AutoZone and they gave me a code:

"P0175: The PCM has determined that during testing, the fuel system for bank 2 was too rich. (Bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank.)"

So, would this be an O2 sensor?

Anon

Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't think so, since the O2 sensor is setting the code. I would think it's an injector leaking, or a cylinder is misfiring!

Old 03-02-2007, 01:27 PM
anonemouse
New User
Originally Posted by KevinM
Don't think so, since the O2 sensor is setting the code. I would think it's an injector leaking, or a cylinder is misfiring!
Fair enough. Actually, a bad injector makes sense as my mileage had dropped and it idles rough on cold starts. Once it warms up it smooths out - although I've never really thought it ran as smooth as it should.

This will make the 4th time this truck has been in the shop since December. It's had both cam phasors done (separately), new lifters on both banks (separately), valve lashings, and bed dampeners put on one side (although both sides vibrate ), and I've only got just over 41k on it.

Anon

Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 PM
yellowman328is
Freshman User
Originally Posted by KevinM
Second that as my 2005 F150 fuel injector went bad at around 15000. First, rough idling, gas mileage dropped and lastly, check engine light came on when definitely felt as it was misfiring. Drove it to the stealership and replaced the injector. Didn't pay anything as it was under warranty. It is unbelieveable what Ford is doing with this trucks. Now, what I am concern most is about the spark plugs prone to break ......AT 30K miles!!! I guess, I will drive it 'till dies and I will trade it in. Unfortunately, I had installed flowmaster, Custom 20in wheels and tires and I am about to replace the sound system....By the way, do you know how to remove the overhead console so I can install an overhead monitor? I did a search and didn't find anyhing!