1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Well I'm at it again.. Gas line ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:01 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Well I'm at it again.. Gas line ?

Does anyone have a picture of how they ran the gas line from the fuel pump up to the carb on a flathead 6 cyl 226 engine? I also need to see a diagram of how the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump, and while we are at it a diagram or pic of how the accelerator goes from the gas pedal to the carb. I am onto the next stage of my rebuild until Ilya disassembles the coe later this month.

By the way, I got the generator mounted and the belt on. It looks sweet. I have to find the right place to mount the regulator though. I will also be cleaning out the gas tank tomorrow. Muratic acid and water bath for it. The guy said to do it twice and then rinse it out real good but he did not say what to do the final rinse with. Water I guess and then let it dry out before install.

Last edited by ksmith203; 02-13-2007 at 10:03 PM. Reason: sp
Old 02-14-2007, 07:16 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Put 1/2 cup baking soda in 5 gal water for the first rinse to neutralize the acid. I would definitely slush coat the tank after the acid wash to seal any pinholes and keep it from rusting. You can get gas tank slushing compound at the private plane maintainance service at the airport (cheapest) or in smaller quantities at most motorcycle shops, or from Eastwood. Pour it into the dried tank roll it around until completely coated, pour out the excess, let dry.

Be careful using acid to clean the tank, it would be very easy to ruin a perfectly good tank. We never used acid, just some water and Tide, throw in a handful of large nuts and or a short length of chain, and shake shake shake. Repeat until the water comes out clean, rinse with hot water, set in the sun to dry. No chance of doing any additional harm. Slush compound after drying.

Last edited by AXracer; 02-14-2007 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:25 AM
irondragon79
Posting Guru
Hmm, just a bit of friendly teasing, did you happen to take any pictures BEFORE you took things apart? Might speed up the reassembly next time.

I can't say a whole lot though, because I have bought much of my truck in pieces, so I never had the chance to see how things went together (and came apart) Thank God for my manuals and this board

Old 02-14-2007, 08:27 AM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
I did take lots of pics but missed this area I guess. I was hoping deuller or number dummy would have another diagram. I am using the other ones from them to put the vacuum lines in today.

Old 02-14-2007, 05:17 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Well I'm not going to be as much help this time. No diagram in the part or body book but it's a pretty simple thing.

Valve at bottom of tank, line runs straight, about 45 degree bend and continues straight, bends straight up the firewall where there is a little clip that holds in on and a flexible hose goes to the fuel pump.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
In one of your other threads you said you were planning to use copper for the fuel line; copper is unacceptable for fuel line.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:51 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Why is copper not acceptable? The people at napa said it would be fine. I guess I'm asking because, you probably guessed, I already ran the line. He said it would be better than metal because it would not rust. He is an old timer and owner of the napa store. Well what the he11 am I going to do now?

Old 02-14-2007, 06:52 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Cool

I just came in to get my carmera to take some pics

Old 02-14-2007, 07:52 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Aluminum is usually used for gas lines. I don't know if copper is a problem or not?

Old 02-14-2007, 08:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Neither aluminum nor copper is good for fuel lines; only steel (or coated steel). The exception is British heavy wall copper which is not generally available in the US. Both copper and aluminum are susceptible to cracking from vibration. A good guideline is the NHRA rulebook.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:28 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Kevin,

Copper line will become brittle and more susceptible to cracking. As for rusting, the original line was steel and it lasted this long, or at least a majority of the trucks life. In that time the truck was used and abused in it's daily life as a work truck. Now it's going to be pampered and stored in a nice, dry place. The new steel line is going to last a lot longer than you'll be around.

As for the diagram for the accellertor linkage:

And the line from the fuel pump to the carburator:

I couldn't find a diagram of the fuel line routing that showed the routing for a flat six. It's different than an eight, it doesn't go near the firewall. The line comes out of bottom of the tank, of course just like the eight, runs along the driver's side frame rail to the frame cross member under the radiator and then to the fuel pump.

This drawing is not exact, I just drew it from memory of what is on my truck.

Old 02-14-2007, 09:45 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Thanks Bob,

I posted pics of mine in my gallery. I may have to redo it but my try it to see how it works. If the copper becomes brittle, I will replace it this summer

Old 02-14-2007, 09:52 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
In the pictures I put up, I ran the gas line down the passengers side rail to the fuel pump. I also moved the line to the other side of the frame crossmember. I had it going up to where the vent line comes out. I will run the supply to the carb similar to the pic bob posted for me. I have the line already. Kind of upset at the napa people. I asked for steel lines and he told me to use the copper because it would not rust and easier to work with. Even though he had no problem selling the $40.00 tube bender .
I used rubber coated fasteners to strap the copper to the frame as you can see in the pics. Well should I redo it or just see how it goes?

Kevin

Old 02-14-2007, 10:09 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Kevin,

I would leave it for now. It will take numerous years of constant abuse before the copper gets brittle enough to crack and leak. I have had vehicles with copper fuel lines and have never had a problem.

Of course, right now with it all torn apart and accesible it is the easiest time to redo it with a steel line.

Flip a coin
Bobby

Old 02-14-2007, 10:13 PM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Thanks Bobby. The are easy enough to get to. I am just going to leave them for now. I will never make nationals if I redo everything twice.

I really need to finish the body work this month so I will plug forward for now

Quick Reply: Well I'm at it again.. Gas line ?