1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 07:54 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool 56 Brake Question

I am conteplating rebuilding the 56 F600 brake booster(midland).I have put this off long enough and must get the brakes to work.
Question1 Should I buy rebuild kit for booster(original) and rebuild it ??
2.Should I buy a new master cylinder or rebuild it too?
3.Should I pay a rebuilder(PRO) to rebuild booster?I have to dismantle it,then ship it to Connecticut,then wait and reinstall--$$$and time
4.Should I take mast.cyl.and booster and misc.all off now and replace all at 1 time and then install in 1 step? I have put this off and I know how cold it is and hate working in the cold.But I am impatient,especially when I look at your galleries and I feel like driving my truck.
I bought the box for 56 and tried to unload it in 3 foot of snow--what a disaster.But I drove the 56 down the road and back and she runs so good---but I have no stopping power-so I inched her back to the barn.

Old 02-09-2007, 08:14 PM
56f600
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When it came time to do my brakes I went with professionally rebuilt master cylinder and booster and wheel cylinders. Stopping these big old trucks is a chore. Let the professionals rebuild them. I had a local parts house supply me with the rebuilt parts and was down a day for the switch out. The old girl stops very good now! Just my opinion, but I say go with the rebuilt units.

Old 02-10-2007, 12:01 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
56f600 thanks.I think I can get the mast.cyl.from CHUCK'S TRUCKS--and kit for booster,and not sure how to rebuild it.Kev.Smith advised me of JOBLOT auto.,AND THEY HAVE SOME WHEEL CYLS.
I hate brake repair,and electrical repair.I would probably pay to someone to make the brakes right,I will do the rest.I think when the temp.rises to the 30s I will attempt it.OH-YEAH--I went to the barn and the 2 tractors would barely start,the neighbors car wouldn't start--but the old 56 F600 -AFTER PUMPING THE GAS--FIRED UP LIKE A CHAMP!!!!!LOVE THAT SOUND AYBLOCK MAKES!!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 06:36 PM
56f600
Senior User
Yea, really difficult to get excited about working on the truck when it is that cold out. I'm about a month behind on building this seasons racecar because of the cold and snow. If I have to shovel snow to get to the shop, it ain't gonna happen.
Weather is warming now, spring is on the way! If I say it enough times I may start believing it.

Old 02-10-2007, 07:03 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
I hate brake repair,and electrical repair.I would probably pay to someone to make the brakes right.
It's too bad we're so far apart. I would love to trade mechanical and electrical work for paint work. I always do all of my painting, but I'm really no painter.

Old 02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
I would paint 3 trucks for someone to do the mechanical and electrical parts!!!!ha ha!!!

Old 02-11-2007, 10:28 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Let's see, I have my 53, my service truck, the 64 my nephew wants. HHMMM, wonder what it would take to haul em up there? Nah, I'll just have to do it myself. Wish we were just a little closer though, I could always use some pointers from an exprienced painter. My biggest problem with paint is the fact that I don't do enough of it to stay in practice.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
That is a cool collection you have!!!Should I buy 55 gallon drum of BLACK ENAMEL and line em
up in a row--and color em all henry ford black?ha ha!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 01:47 PM
dmptrkr
Senior User
I highly recommend Joblot Auto for replacement master cylinder, wheel cylinders and hoses. I've found their prices about half what I would pay at NAPA. You might want to order a set of front wheel grease seals since the front hubs come off with the drums. You won't need rear seals unless there's a leak or you want to remove the backing plates to clean/paint. Before installing your new master cylinder take it apart and remove the residual pressure check valve. It may prevent your brakes from releasing.

Rather than send your booster to NH you can likely find a remanufactured unit locally. Ford used a Midland Model C462C for F500 and 600 1952-63. Precision Rebuilders Website has good application data in their downloadable catalog. Great site for info but they don't sell to the public. Haldex Commercial Vehicle Systems also has an online catalog where they show the Midland C462C with their SKU# RV46201X. Haldex distributes through NAPA and if you take that number or a printout of the webpage to NAPA they might be able to order you one.

Another possibility, a local truck parts/equipment supplier recently gave me one of their old brake booster catalogs. It's from Power Brake Service and Equiment Co. in Cleveland, Ohio. If you are cose to Cleveland they show a Midland C462C in the catalog.

Craig

Old 02-13-2007, 06:49 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Thanks dmptrkr--I am real close to Cleveland--about 40 miles away.I really appreciate your knowledge.After I dig a slot out of snow to get to the barn I will start on the truck brakes.WOW WHAT A WINTER!!!