Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2007, 01:04 PM
Senior User

seville009 is starting off with a positive reputation.
As mentioned before, I had the exact same problem you experienced and the problem ended being mag chloride and road salts built up on my block heater chord connections; leading to current leakage. Once I cleaned those up, and sealed them to prevent future exposoure, my block heater is working fine in my GFI outlet -

Mark;

I haven't had a chance to check into that yet, but I don't think that it is the problem. The truck is still new (only about 1,500 miles on it) and we had such non-winter so far, it has had very little salt exposure, so I don't think that it would be a build up of that as the cause of the problem.

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHillCountry
I've not used my engine heater on my '03 F250 6.0L PSD, but my brother-in-law generally has to use his on his '95 F350 7.3L PSD whenever the temp drops into the 40's or below, or that 7.3 gets really hard to start. (new glow plug / relay, etc). He's got about 240K miles on it.

I've noticed that his extension cord running the heater block gets REALLY warm.

My guess like the others is that the GFI on that circuit wouldn't handle it.
rgds,
TX
Duh! Time to buy a little larger extension cord.

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 01-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Post Fiend

Pocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant future
I have found a solution that works for me. This goes without saying, but it's a "at your own risk" type of thing, and you need to know what you are doing when messing around with outlets in your house.

I simply went down to Home Depot and picked up a 20A GFCI outlet to replace the 15A one that keeps tripping. Swapped it out and it hasn't tripped again. So now I still have a GFCI outlet, and it's not constantly tripping. The old one was so bad that I couldn't even run any power tools in my garage off that outlet.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Coming Soon: 2015 F-250 4x4 CC/SB 6.7L Lariat
Old 01-17-2007, 02:48 AM
Have a nice Beer!!!

lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.lostmybeer has a very good reputation on FTE.
Alright, a GFI is not an overcurrent device such as a circuit breaker. It is National Electrical Code requirement for a GFI to trip if the amount of current between the Neutral (grounding electrode conductor{white wire}) and Ground (grounded conductor) exceeds 3 - 5 milliamps. The cause is most likely the block heater if the extension cord has been replaced already and power tools work just fine in the recept. Check for any type of mark on the heater cord such as a cut or scrape. Take a multimeter and test the heater plug, left blade to ground. You must have an open reading.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:37 PM
New User

xxxpheonix is starting off with a positive reputation.
ya 20 yr electrician you are probably overloading the circuit
Old 01-21-2007, 11:06 PM
Postmaster

handyman43358 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
This is the exact reason I tell people NOT to plug a deep freezer into a random outlet in the garage, if it's a newer home. Chances are that outlet is GFI protected and if it kicks for some random reason, you'll be throwin out some rotton mean. Pull a dedicated circuit and put in an outlet just for that.

1995 F-150 XL 4x4 5.8 351 with a 5 speed ZF Manual. 258,000 miles
Old 01-21-2007, 11:06 PM