Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "new" 95 f150 ext cab xlt: Axles, t cases and engines! Oh MY!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 06:46 PM
csxjim95f150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My "new" 95 f150 ext cab xlt: Axles, t cases and engines! Oh MY!

I am a proud owner of a 95 Ford F 150 XLT extended cab 4x4. I have owned this truck about 1 month and by far this is the best pickup ive ever owned. It has the 5.0 l /302 (VIN N) engine an automatic transmission and automatic locking hubs. I bought it used and it has 145000 miles on it and it still runs strong and looks great. I have a slew of questions that I hope you all can help me with. I am not mechanically illiterate but this is the first 4x4 ive owned.
1. I am pretty sure my truck has the Ford 8.8 rearend, Dana 44 front end and the Borg Warner 13-56 manual transfer case, is the correct? (yes it has a manual 4 wheel drive selector).
2. Can anyone decode this axle code for me, found on the rear axle tag..it was hard to make out but i got the following codes..S632J? looks like 88 and 5g19? Does this tell gear ratio or if it has limited slip or a locker? Also on the trim tag it has AXLE with 17 under it.
3. The 5.0 is a pretty stout motor and i was wondering how this one in my truck differs from the Mustang GT motor, also does anyone have any model year horsepower torque ratings for my particular truck, im figuring about 200 HP and 250 lb ft torque??
4. will most of the aftermarket power parts for the mustang engine fit my trucks engine?
5. It isnt lifted and takes 235 75 r 15 tires...how big a tire will fit without a lift or modifications? 31's??
6. my exterior paint codes are EG and WM any ideas so i can get some touch up paint, my truck is a maroon color with silver trim.
7. As this being my first real 4x4 any preventative maintenance tips etc for the 4wd system?

Thanks very much for your time in reading my questions, hope you can help....CSXJim

Old 01-02-2007, 06:56 PM
surewhynot
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to have a 95 standard cab. 31x 10.50's fit fine. Mine was paint code EG- electric currant red. Nice color. Not sure on your other questions, but somebody here will chime in. And welcome to FTE!

Old 01-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Fully_Loaded
Elder User
31x10.5x15 will fit fine, it probly has 3:55 gear ratio, depends on the parts, some will fit some won't. As far as power parts I doubt it because intake, computer, and exhaust(I believe) are different. I am not sure about axle codes. There is pretty good tech manuals on here that can decode them for you. Welcome.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well my 93 has an axle code of 19 which is a 3.55 non limited slip so yours is 17 im guessing yours is a 3.08 no limited slip/locker nothing one wheel spinner if it was it would have a letter like h9 which is 3.55 limited slip so yours is 3.08 or 3.73 not to sure at least you got 4wd to make up for the non limited slip in the rear you can decode your vin look on the site here under articles and look for vin decode its in here it helps decode the whole vin for the 4wd system read the manual

It gives the maintence schedule and what not if you dont use it enough use it once in a while to keep the system working properly and everything lubed sounds like anice truck

Old 01-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 971 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by csxjim95f150
1. I am pretty sure my truck has the Ford 8.8 rearend, Dana 44 front end and the Borg Warner 13-56 manual transfer case, is the correct? (yes it has a manual 4 wheel drive selector).
2. Can anyone decode this axle code for me, found on the rear axle tag..it was hard to make out but i got the following codes..S632J? looks like 88 and 5g19? Does this tell gear ratio or if it has limited slip or a locker? Also on the trim tag it has AXLE with 17 under it.
3. The 5.0 is a pretty stout motor and i was wondering how this one in my truck differs from the Mustang GT motor, also does anyone have any model year horsepower torque ratings for my particular truck, im figuring about 200 HP and 250 lb ft torque??
4. will most of the aftermarket power parts for the mustang engine fit my trucks engine?
5. It isnt lifted and takes 235 75 r 15 tires...how big a tire will fit without a lift or modifications? 31's??
6. my exterior paint codes are EG and WM any ideas so i can get some touch up paint, my truck is a maroon color with silver trim.
7. As this being my first real 4x4 any preventative maintenance tips etc for the 4wd system?
1) Should be correct on all.
2) The axle ratio should be the first 4 numbers/letters on the bottom row on the tag, but it sounds like you're missing some. They may be obscured by the bolt, and every truck I have seen starts with a 3. You may have to pull this bolt to see.
3) This is the same motor as the mustang with the exception of the intake, cam and pistons. I believe stock power #s are 200hp and 275lb ft of torque.
4)Do you have a mass air system? If there an aluminum component with wires attached in the air intake plumbing near the filter? If so that's a mass air meter. Many of the mustang hot rod parts will work on the truck motor, some may not fit well due to the different bodies and induction system.
5)31x10.5 easy, 32x11.5 with the correct rims. But big tires are a bad idea if you have low numerical gearing, it'll kill the trucks pep.
6) no idea
7) Inspect all 5 u-joints in the front axle and driveshaft. They are more likely to seize than get loose. Try locking it in 4wd and take it for a spin(road condiions permitting) up to 60mph. If you get excessive noise or vibration you have seized joints in the front axle. Lubricate the 4x4 shift lever mechanism, it should move front to back and side to side easily. These are famous for seizing.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:08 AM
fmr9
Elder User
6. my exterior paint codes are EG and WM any ideas so i can get some touch up paint, my truck is a maroon color with silver trim

I took my paint codes into a local store. This is an old time automotive paint supply place. Kind of Mom and pop store that has been in business for 40+ yrs. They mixed it up while I waited, and put it in a large spray can. Cost about $15 /can, but the color is exact and a large spray can paints a lot. Used 2 cans, one of each color, to paint a front fender and have a little left over.
For a rock chip, I just spray out a spot on aluminum foil and use a very small artist brush.
A small local body shop could tell you if such a place exists close to you. I have seen the same service on the web, but best I can remember, with shipping it was close to $30/can.
Good luck Frank

Old 01-03-2007, 11:31 AM
lostin90s
Postmaster
Most shops make ant thing you want. They have sensor to get paint color. But if only smalltouch up they have charts for it . No not the megea parts place.(which I aviod like the bvlack death) Napa or body shop or ford garage can get anything you need. Nice ride .
If your truck Get better exhuast and a 460 or lighting snorkel for stock air box. (gives more fresh air) Most aftermarket air intake are in under hood and its hot in there. Well good luck

Old 01-03-2007, 12:18 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Axle code 17 is a 3.31 axle, open carrier - not a 3.55 and not a 3.08.