1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

'56 easiest IFS swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2001, 09:51 PM
mrbreeze
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'56 easiest IFS swap

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, but I see that there is plenty of great information here.
I've just got an old fixer-upper '56 F100, which I'm just starting out on restoring. It appears the main (2) IFS front end swaps are the mustang II and the volare. I've got access to a '76 mustang IFS (cheap) but if the volare is easier to do, I'll keep looking. I eventually intend on replacing the stock straight 6 with 351/C6 drivetrain, will this motor mount without modifications? Any advice on the best way to go, will be much appreciated.
Thanks
William

Old 02-19-2001, 10:32 PM
truckfarmer
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'56 easiest IFS swap

I have a 56 panel truck that we put a Camaro subframe in. It drives great. If I had to do it over, I would probably put in the Mustang II or volare'. I have installed Volare's in 53-56 and in 61-66 F100's. They are quick and easy to do at home. You cut a notch in the bottom of the frame and weld the Chrysler K-member in. If you use the Mustang II, I suggest buying an aftermarket crossmember. They should include a rack extender. The frame is wider than the car and needs this extender. Nice thing about the Mustang is the availability of parts (tubular A-frames, dropped spindles, air bags, coil overs, etc.)With any engine change, you'll have to fabricate motor mounts. Mid-Fifties sells motor mount kits for either frontend.

Old 02-20-2001, 09:00 PM
tkbowman
Senior User
'56 easiest IFS swap

I'm doing the same thing. I acquired a Mustang II front end and after spending several hours drilling spot welds to separate the inner fender panels from the cross member and really studying the crossmember and how I would have to cut special plates to weld it to the F100 frame, I reached the conclusion to put in an aftermarket crossmember. I think I'll use TCI as it comes with the boxing plates and is closer to me here on the west coast. Fatman makes a good one as well as Heidt's. I'm sure that there are even more. For a good set of pictures of installing the crossmember go to:

http://www.geocities.com/mrrodder/start.html

Click on the link for installing the crossmember. While it's being done on a Ch**y, it gives a really good idea of what it takes to install one (not hard IMHO).

This weekend I'm going to look at a big back window cab near Portland, OR as I really want the big back window. I've also got a lead on a metal big back window kit that appears to do what I would like. The vendor is in Georgia. Let me know off list and I'll get you contact information.

For pictures of my F100 project, go to my website at www.users.qwest.net/~tkbowman and click on the appropriate link.

Hope this helps,

Tim Bowman
Burien, WA
tkbowman@qwest.net

Old 02-20-2001, 11:03 PM
mrbreeze
New User
'56 easiest IFS swap

Thanks for the information, the link to the other site was very helpful. The detailed pics. were great.
William

Old 02-21-2001, 08:00 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
'56 easiest IFS swap

for info on the Volare swap... go tothe tech articles section and look at my article on my volare swap..

hope this helps :-)

john

got more questions ??? email me direct

Old 02-23-2001, 09:49 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
'56 easiest IFS swap

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 23-Feb-01 AT 10:50 PM (EST)[/font][p]I am finishing a Volare install as we speak. You mention you were considering the Mustang II because it was cheap. I think you will find the Volare is considerably cheaper if you buy a the proper Mustang IFS crossmember. I am pleased with my Volare choice but you do need some tools. Especially if you want it to be pretty when you are done. I don't think I would have liked how it looked if I did not have a MIG welder to clean up after the install. Hard to fill those gaps with an arc welder. I read Jon's article in the tech section and I rented the VCR tape from No Limit Engineering. It was very helpful.

Dewayne

Old 02-27-2001, 10:09 AM
newjob001
New User
'56 easiest IFS swap

I have a 52 F2 and used TCI's Mustang II IFS system. TCI actually provides a Heidt's crossmember, so there is no need to shop at two stores. TCI provides the larger brakes and such that other providers consider options (something to consider).
While much welding is required, I think we completed the front end in less than 8 hours.
Hope this helps!

Old 02-27-2001, 08:21 PM
tkbowman
Senior User
'56 easiest IFS swap

This past weekend in Portland, OR, I picked up a TCI kit for my '56 F100 project. I did a lot of soul searching before deciding to lay out the money. But I really liked the idea of not having to scrounge for pieces and parts and I ended up with an all new front suspension including the tubular A arms.

For a series of pictures on installing this type of front end, go to: http://www.geocities.com/mrrodder/start.html where the person installs a complete front clip in less than a day. It's being done on a 49-52 Ch**vy which has similar issues.

Tim

Old 03-05-2001, 11:22 PM
marteck
New User
'56 easiest IFS swap

The very best and beefiest IFS I have seen installed is a bolt in and welded crossmember that indexes on the front brake hose holes on 53-56 F-100's. This crossmember uses all Chrysler cordoba suspension parts. These parts are used in a lot of large Chrysler,Dodge and Plymouths in the mid 70's to early 80's. These cars use torsion bars that socket in the lower A arms and attach in adjustable sockets in a crossmember (near the transmission crossmember) that is provided in the kit. This unit is very well built(I am an engineer and a old ford truck man) with all brackets installed for the steering gear and idler arm. All the used parts required for this conversion can be purchased here in Great Falls, Montana for $50 to $75. I called two different yards, you remove. They said they could lift it with their fork and torch the entire sub assemble off in about 10 minutes.
Second Chance Classics, 707 Front street, Gibbon Nebraska 68840
308-468-6178 Dwight Bond
After seeing one installed I stopped at the plant in Gibbon. What a great guy! Got the whole tour and saw this crossmember being assembled and welded in the jig. This is the guy that started Gibbon fiberglass old Ford car reproductions.
Give him a call you won't be disappointed! PS he builds the stock wheel placement and 1" forward to center the wheel in the wheel house.
Crawl under one of those big Chryslers and take a look. Also call the parts house and check out the low prices on replacement parts for these cars. Regards Jerry Martin

Old 03-08-2001, 08:53 PM
mrbreeze
New User
'56 easiest IFS swap

Jerry,
Thanks for the information. I was really getting down about the high prices on the new kits I've seen. I'm on a very tight budget, and I don't want a show truck, just a good looking ride for me and the family to cruise in. I'll definately give Second Chance a call.
William

Old 03-09-2001, 10:36 AM
proford
New User
'56 easiest IFS swap