1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Is this safe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 04:09 PM
miller502
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this safe?

I am going to change the orings on my injectors and i need to know if i can just blow the excess oil out of the chamber just turning the igniton over while i have the injectors out or do i have to blow it through the glow plug hole?

Old 12-27-2006, 04:17 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
With the injectors out I would think you would flood the cylinders with more oil when you turn it over. Use the GP holes and if it were me I would turn it over by hand. If you use the starter makes sure to cover the heads good cause that oil will come out hard and fast and will make a mess.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:53 PM
DAVID'S97F250HD
Posting Guru
I pulled the glow plugs out personally and turned it over, like said, a lot of oil will come flying out of the cylinders, I drapped an old towel over the engine to keep the spray down, turned it over for about 20 seconds, pulled the towel off and turned it over some more to make sure I got all of it out, finish the job and button everything up, did an oil change and washed the engine immidiatly after. car wash was 3 miles from my place so the engine didnt get hot to start a fire. thier will be a mess but if you have nothing to suck the oil out of the cylinders its really your only alternative.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:31 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Swamp's site has a good write up on injector replacement: http://www.swamp-donkey.biz/ Most shops advise against using the starter to expell the oil & diesel due to the fact that the diesel expelled from the cylinders will go into the valve area of the head and drain into the crankcase with the oil. But..... alot of poeple have done this.

TIP: ALWAYS remove the rear most injector first on each head (after draining the oil rails). This will let most of the oil & fuel collect in this cylinder, making it easier to get out with which ever method you choose.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Vengeance
Freshman User
Just change the oil after you do an injector change.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:20 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
I fashioned a pump to suck oil out engine parts using a 1 gallon can (i.e. paint can) a shop vac, a hose small enough to fit in the hole you are working in and duct tape. Sucked my HPOP dry in 3 minutes. If you want I can post a quick how to with pics.

Old 12-27-2006, 07:36 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually turn the engine over by hand with all the injectors out ( I suck the high pressure oil pump reservior dry, pull the rear most injectors first) I either put a ratchet on the crank pulley or use a fan clutch wrench to turn the engine over 4 or 5 times. reinstall everything then pull the Gp's and crank with the starter. I don't like the though of all the oil and fuel sitting in the cylinder with only a tiny little hole to squeeze out when cranked with the starter.

I have hydro locked an engine once cause I didn't get enough fluid out before putting it all together and carefully bumping the engine over. You don't ever want that feel in your stomach. Especially when It was a customers engine. But turned out it had a bad engine anyway.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:36 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think David's description fully depicts how large of a mess cranking with the starter makes. Nor does it mention the incredible velocity at which the fluid exits the cylinder. Just placing a shop rag over the holes will result in the shop rag flying across the shop. IF you do decide to crank it with the starter, bend some heavy cardboard over the heads to contain the mess.

With the injectors out it cranks over by hand very easily. It only takes a half dozen or so compression strokes to blow the majority of it out. That's the route I always use....now that I know better.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Stroker 94 1/2
Senior User
[QUOTE=tjbeggs]I usually turn the engine over by hand with all the injectors out ( I suck the high pressure oil pump reservior dry, pull the rear most injectors first) I either put a ratchet on the crank pulley or use a fan clutch wrench to turn the engine over 4 or 5 times. reinstall everything then pull the Gp's and crank with the starter. I don't like the though of all the oil and fuel sitting in the cylinder with only a tiny little hole to squeeze out when cranked with the starter.

This is also how I did it but I used a food baster with a small hose hooked to it to suck out what I could through the glow plug holes before cranking with starter. Definatly change your oil afterwards.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:49 PM
miller502
Freshman User
Man, I only got one side done today but when i turned the engine (with the breaker bar) a whole butt load of oil came gushing out of the glow plug holes and doused my father in law. I told him not to stand there but he said it wasn't that bad so i hosed his a#s down. But any who, left side is done and gonna change the right side another day.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Stroker 94 1/2
Senior User
LOL... Thats funny, I hope your in good with him.
Sounds like some thing that would happen to me!!

Old 12-29-2006, 07:48 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
miller that is really funny! I laughed out loud when I read that! the visual is worth the time!

Old 12-29-2006, 09:15 PM
79F150EFI
Senior User
I use the starter. It makes a mess, but it is pretty fast and easy and is easy to clean up afterwards. It does come out with enough speed to blow way past the hood and onto anything 5 feet past the truck.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:25 PM
mylawn03
New User
I was told by superior turbo in detroit, MI to unplug the IPR when you crank the motor and that would stop the flow of oil from the HPOP. It seemed to work as only a limited amount of oil came out of the injector holes. I can definately attest to the mess it made as my garage door is coated..LOL

Old 12-30-2006, 08:54 PM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
I guess if you unplugged the CPS you would achieve the same result. right?