1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

1997 PSD Oil Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Farmtwin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 PSD Oil Capacity

hey guys my mom and dad just bought a 1997 F350 dually Ext cab AT and it needs the oil and tranny fluid changed. First off how much oil does the oil pan hold. Second what tranny fluid do you recommend running and how much does the tranny hold.

Thanks,

Jesse

Old 12-11-2006, 09:53 AM
bkcowboss
Posting Guru
the engine holds 14 qts of oil, motocraft 15-40 is formulated to withstand the very high pressure that it will see in the HPOP (high pressure oil pump) as much as 3000 psi used to actuate the fuel injectors. You can also use Shell Rotella 15-40, I stick with motocraft first rotella second, and honestly if I can't get one of those two i put off my oil change. I take mine to walmart cause 4 gallons of oil is a lot to drain, and it is only slightly more money than doing it my self, if you do this though check everything before driving out of the lot (with any service station.) Also do not let anybody talk you in to using an oil cleaner/thinner engine scrubber oil supplement. this is referencing any oil supplement that is designed to thin the oil and remove the carbon from the engin. You are not going to get all of that stuff out of your engine when they drain the oil as there is a reservoir for the HPOP that will store some and then the oil thinner will be in your oil destroying the lubricating properties for the next 3000 miles or until you change your oil again. The oil guys will tell you that other PSD owners do it, and maybe they do, but they shouldn't based on all the research I have done.

bryan

Old 12-11-2006, 12:08 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yep 14 quarts total with filter change. rotella 15w40, I use rotella 10w30 in the winter, some use 15w40 year round and some use the 5w40 synthetic year round. Can't go wrong with Rotella T.

Atf should be dexron/mercon, No mercon 5, no multiuse oil (ie dexron/mercon/mercon 5) With pan dropped, filter done and torque converter drained it should take about 17 quarts to refill.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Farmtwin
Freshman User
thanks guys