Sponsored by: DP Tuner

To Those who own a DP Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 11:41 PM
priv8pilot
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking To Those who own a DP Tuner

Ok I have read and read all the comments from those of you who have purchased the DP Tuner. From what I see most everyone is VERY happy with it. Comments like ' WOW just installed runs great' are fine but what about after the initial rush of the new install? I mean I put the 5 inch exhaust on my truck and did not listen to the radio or roll the windows up for a month.
What I would like to know is this:

What do the different positions feel like? For example you switch to the 80HP ECONO. To me adding 80HP normally would NOT give you better fuel mileage. What have you noticed on that setting? <O

What about the 120 or 140 race mode. Compare to stock or compare to 80HP econo mode.<O

I always see someone say you MUST have the gauges before you install the tuner. What are you seeing as a before and after readings on the gauges? Is the Transmission temp gauge climbing? Do you end up with the Exhaust temp climbing to the bad zone? I am just looking for the after the thrill of a new mod wears off thoughts.<O

What programs do you have and what do you think of them now that they are installed.<O

What position do you drive around in normally? Do you drive in stock until the guy in the Chevy pulls up neat to you at a light?<O

Do you get a lot of smoke out of the race settings? What about the lope idle? <O
Give me your thoughts.<O
Thanks,<O

Steve<O

Old 11-13-2006, 12:35 AM
kbeefy
Cargo Master
Received 289 Likes on 218 Posts
at low RPM 120 smokes quite a bit.
The better shift points and lockup are almost as nice as the added power.
When I'm lazy I drive in stock because it's quieter, but I'm quick to switch to a higher setting when 'provoked'.
If I feel 'spirited' I leave it in 60... feels good to drive and not as likely to break the tires loose.
I only rarely go to 120, but wouldn't get the chip without it. At $40 a tune it's the best upgrade I've ever done, to anything. (and I upgrade EVERYTHING!!)
I think the Econ tune is more different shift points than anything, I know it shifts to OD and locks up pretty quick. They told me it's closer to 100hp, btw.

The only thing I don't like is how loud it is in any but the stock tunes. It's enough that I use stock, otherwise I never would, aside from warmup.

Old 11-13-2006, 04:09 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my tuner ( see below for tunes) for a month now..as well as my 5" strait stove pipe..I still don't listen to the radio..and my window is always down and heat on full blast..jacket zipped up tight and kids crying close the window...its been in the 20's and 30's here..the stock tune is just that..stock...the 40 and 60 tow you can feel a power change and the shift points are all moved so you can tow a little better at the right RPM's and speed. it wont shift to second till about 20 to 25 mph with light throutlle.then 3rd till about 35 to 40 mph..there is more line pressure for a more stronger shift with less slipping..mine is backed with a BTS VB..I like to cruse with the 60 tow..it holds in 1st or second gear while going light to light in town and you can hear that turbo whistle very nice there..the 80 econo is awesome..when I hold the throttle at 50 in the stock setting then switch to the 80 econo.my trucks jumps forward and gains about 10 miles an hour.. floor it and hold on..I get smoke from the 80 but very little unless I go full throttle then smoke clears till you let back off or level out....shifting points seem to be closer and still shifts faster with a lot less slipping..over drive holds a lot better too.its a very fun setting..you can feel a seat of the pants power no matter what speed you are going..I use that one a lot too..the 120 setting??well you got to try it.that setting is crazy from a dead stop hold it to the floor the shifts are strong and very fast..you see 100 mph very quickly..lots a smoke behind you as well..but with a stock trany you got to be careful cause it is hard on a trany..you can hear it screaming for help..I live right at the bottom of a mountain here..from a dead stop in stock I barely see 55 mph getting to the top.its a little over 1/4 mile strait up..in the 80 econo I hit the top at 93 mph and still climbing but it go's down hill then a sharp turn after you get up there so I half to let up..I push about 25 to 28 lbs of boost and the egt's climb to 1200 and holds..the lower the setting the slower the egt's climb..but I can push 25 to 28 lbs of boost in any setting except for the stock setting them I'm lucky to get 23 to 24 lbs..my trans has never gone over 125..like i said its been in the 20's and 30's too..but I still haven't installed my true cool ether.. this tuner cost me $450 delivered. it is by far the best $$$ I've ever spent..jody does one hell of a job...

p.s as far as mpg well i cant keep my foot out of it to find out how much better it is..but with all the playing i have been doing im still getting 15 to 16 mpg..in stock i was getting 17..this is around town driving..i also use bio...

Last edited by ron's power stoke; 11-13-2006 at 04:14 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:14 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
Man, this thread is going to make me so mad... in anticipation. Ron everything you said is basically what i want that my chip now doesn't give me, so i guess i will fall in love with this chip. I'm going all out for 10 positions, so that is why its taking me so long.

Old 11-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What do the different positions feel like? For example you switch to the 80HP ECONO.
I have the 40, 80, and 120 tunes. 40 has more power than stock, but it's a great setting for keeping exhaust temps easily within control, even when heavily loaded. Also there's almost no smoke in the 40 tune. 80 setting is very powerful, and will smoke for a second until the turbo spools up, then clears up nicely (even with a healthy stock turbo). The exhaust temps can climb on this setting, so you'd definately want to get gauges. The 120 race is great for really waking up the motor. My stock HPOP is weak, so I can't get the full benefit of the race setting. Initially it does have more punch than the 80 setting, until my HPOP starts wheezing out on me.

To me adding 80HP normally would NOT give you better fuel mileage. What have you noticed on that setting?
It will give you better mileage if you keep your foot out of the pedal and drive it normally. Before my gear swap I was averaging a little over 16 mpg in town and almost 19 mpg on the highway. That's with a 6" lift and 35" tires, so not bad at all. Before the chip I was averaging 14.5 mpg in town and about 18 on the highway. That's 1.5 mpg increase in town, and 1 mpg increase on the highway, plus all the extra ponies that come with it. Can't beat that.

I always see someone say you MUST have the gauges before you install the tuner. What are you seeing as a before and after readings on the gauges? Is the Transmission temp gauge climbing? Do you end up with the Exhaust temp climbing to the bad zone? I am just looking for the after the thrill of a new mod wears off thoughts.
Gauges are a must if you are going with higher HP settings. Even with aftermarket exhaust you can get over 1200 degrees on the 80 hp tune. On a 1/4 mile drag strip run in the 120 setting I'll climb over 1300. Luckily my tranny is still doing well, and I don't have any temp problems right now. It's never overheated on me, whether I'm towing, racing, offroading, or anything else. My only tranny mod was the sonnax valve & spring kit.

What position do you drive around in normally? Do you drive in stock until the guy in the Chevy pulls up neat to you at a light?
I'm almost always in the 80 hp tune. I switch to 40 when loaded down or getting emissions tested, and 120 for racing or smoking. As far as people at the light, no one really wants to try me . I did once have kids in a Chevy rev their engine at the light, but I was loaded down and didn't want to mess up the stuff in the bed of my truck. There's no way they would have kept up with me . I did have a guy in a ricer all hopped up with the weedeater exhaust try and outrun me accelerating up a steep hill. Once I slowed down he caught up to me and I saw him mouth the word "Daaaaaamn" as he went by. But that's about it.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:26 AM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by priv8pilot
What do the different positions feel like? For example you switch to the 80HP ECONO. To me adding 80HP normally would NOT give you better fuel mileage. What have you noticed on that setting? <O

Pocket beat me to it. I just got the 80hp tune and have only gone through one tank so far with it. However, I am usually at ~385 miles with 1/4 tank left when I stop to fill up. Right now I am still just above 1/4 tank and have 450 on the trip. Not only that, it has been driven a little harder than normal with the thrills of the new tune. Friends "testing" it cant help but get a little out of control.

I know i need to run a few more tank through to get a little better average, but I can already see the difference and FEEL IT TOO.

Gauges are needed! EGTs climb faster with anything over stock.

You will never be sorry if you get the stuff from Jody.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Ford Truck Racer
Elder User
I would have to say my results are about the same as the other, the lower hp setting I nice towing. Other day had 12000 on the back and my truck would not accelerate going uphill, Switched the hp to 40 and started accelerating. There is a noticable difference than stock. It does have are hard time finding idle when real cold, turn back to stock and no problems. Noticed no difference in trans temps. When I towed 16000 down the interstate, stock to 40-80hp was about a 150 degree higher exhaust temp.
I have stock 40, 60, 80, 100, 1200 rpm high idle. High idle is nice in winter, 100 will puff some smoke and will clear in the upper rpm range. 80 will blow just a little, 60 will blow some when its shift loaded with 8000lbs or more. I usually run in 80 with 1-1.5 mpg better than stock.
Stock is nice to have when pulling in loose ground and ice since rear wheels are not as likely to slip. Alot more injector noise off stock setting.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:34 PM
spunks00
Senior User
Dose anyone with the DP tuner also run a 10k mod...i am thinking of starting with it just for fun, or should i just hold out and save up for a DP? the down side is it well take a lot longer to get the wife to let me spend the money on the DP, the 10k is already ok.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:52 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by spunks00
Dose anyone with the DP tuner also run a 10k mod...i am thinking of starting with it just for fun, or should i just hold out and save up for a DP? the down side is it well take a lot longer to get the wife to let me spend the money on the DP, the 10k is already ok.

id half to say get a dp tuner..you can get one tune and save for more..send it back and he will add another.i think it was 245 for the chip with the stock setting and 45 for each tune after that..i cant remember.. but im close.if you got a egt gauge get the 80 econo..if you dont id stick to the 60 hp..you will be happy you did...i dont know much about the 10k except its just a cheap way to get a little power...the 80 tune of jody's will give you about 105 more hp at the rear wheels.i have a friend with a super chip and a newer 7.3 truck.he has bigger hpop bigger injectors and turbo..ive got an early 99..he said my truck has way more power in the 80 tune then his super chip would ever give him..

Old 11-13-2006, 05:54 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
More than likely you won't see any benefit from running a 10K mod with a DP-Tuner. Jody's tunes already call for a higher ICP pressure. The 10K mod fools the ECM into thinking that the pressure is too low. So if you are running a chip calling for higher pressures, and you are fooling that chip with too low of a pressure reading, then it's really going out of the intended programming parameters of the chip.

Old 11-13-2006, 05:59 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
jody also has a costum flash psm..$75 for one with the 80 econo..good way to start out to..its a new pcm not a chip thow..

Old 11-13-2006, 06:15 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by strokin_it7.3
Man, this thread is going to make me so mad... in anticipation. Ron everything you said is basically what i want that my chip now doesn't give me, so i guess i will fall in love with this chip. I'm going all out for 10 positions, so that is why its taking me so long.
wow all 10???? you will be having alot of fun..you will be heading to brians very soon then huh??? i talked to jody about the trans problem i thought i had..he told me..quote::You will be the first to test a full BTS with XLE hybrid PMT1 trans code. this just makes me want his his trans now.lol got to love PMS!!!!

Old 11-13-2006, 07:27 PM
spunks00
Senior User
you can get a DP tuner with one power setting...then send it back later to get more added???

Old 11-13-2006, 10:04 PM
priv8pilot
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ford Truck Racer
Stock is nice to have when pulling in loose ground and ice since rear wheels are not as likely to slip. Alot more injector noise off stock setting.
Injector noise? That is the first I have heard of this. Please tell me more.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:08 PM
priv8pilot
Junior User
Talking What about the lope idle?

Did anyone get the lope idle seting? What do you think? I am positive I will go with the DP tuner. Just trying to get as much info on it as I can before the purchase.
Steve

Quick Reply: To Those who own a DP Tuner