1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

The Sound of the Angry Vacuum (Want more Turbo report)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Ilikebigtrucks
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sound of the Angry Vacuum (Want more Turbo report)

So here's a quesition. Any good way to make the turbo a bit louder? Personally I love the sound of Turbo-Chargers and like them aubile at the last - if not obnoxious. I can just barely barely hear mine right now with everything stock... which, I suppose, is just how ford wanted it. The Exhaust thing isn't happening and I've had turbocharged cars in the past with fully intact exhausts that were still quite loud - the sound eminated from under the hood - not out back. I suppose that means airfilter/airbox plumbing. The trouble is I really like the idea of having the snorkle right where it is - Pulling cold air up out of any splash danger. It's realy hard for me to give up such a slick system just for cosmetic reasons. I'd love to do a real - through the fender snorkle but I can't pay $200 for $1.00 worth of plastic - Plus I'm not aware of any for the old ford anymore anyhow.

The Question: will an aftermarket "intake" system give me the sound I'm looking for? I'm concerned about affecting lowend torque negatively with all the hot air it's going to be sucking. How much do they cost? Technically that paper filter is like $20 so if I could replaced it with a washable that would be a bonus. All in all the thing has to be a close to free as possible. $200 or even $100 isn't really an option.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:57 AM
DaBigTow
Elder User
The Tymar intake (and like systems, Kwik 6637) will let the turbo be heard. I like it!!! Low cost? Do the Kwik filter.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any closed air element will be quieter than an open one. The kwik filter is the cheapest like dabigtow says. The under hood heat hasn't been a big problem if you leave the snorkle in place. It directs enough cold air at it when your up to speed. Idleing in traffic is another story tho. My next mod for the kwik filter is a hood scoop right over the filter along with some heat shields for the filter.

What ever you choose You should get rid of your stock air box cuz they leak dirt past the filter and can dust your turbo.

Old 11-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Gobstopper909
Elder User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
big tow is right. intake with a breathable filter will help. I cant see spendin 250-300 for piece of plactic with a box at the end when a (tymar) or equivalent will perform as well. and be about $120!!! I also cut out my cat and that helped even more with the whoooosh

Old 11-03-2006, 02:52 PM
1969fordguy
Senior User
To make it loud you have to do exhaust work. Really. The intake will help some, my first one was dirt cheap: the 6637 filter and a 4" tomato juice can cut in half and spliced into the intake hose.

Also stop and think that the powerstoke is mighty loud when its clacking away, so your turbo won't seem as loud as one on a car.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:25 PM
SavageVertigo
Junior User
i'm thnkin that ford left an employee or two inside the motors at the factory and when its runnin you stir them up and the beat with little hammers tryin to get out. but 69FORDGUY is right its pretty hard to hear anything over these motors and once you have a nice big free flowin exhaust on them well they get even louder

Old 11-04-2006, 07:13 AM
barebackjake
Postmaster
big ball bearing turbo and some b code injectors you wont hear anything but the turbo!!

Old 11-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Ilikebigtrucks
Junior User
Yeah - I went out and put a 6637 on it last night... I kept reading the posts about people just slapping it on... Turns out that's just the Intercooled trucks. So I went and bought some plumbing supplies. For my driving style around town there's hardly any noticable difference. If you are hoping for that ever present turbo sound that follows a 6-Cylinder CAT wherever it goes, look elsewhere... probably at a bigger turbo I guess.

Old 11-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
What RPM range are you hitting around town? anything under 1750 RPM's and there won't be a noticible difference because the turbo isn't spooled up enough. From about 1750-2500 there is a definately an audible difference over stock... at least that's my experence. I'm also running tymar 3-3 DP and stright dual exhaust... so my turbo may take a little longer to spool than stock.

I know that you said you want sound from the engine bay, and not exhaust... trust me though, stright pipe the beast and you won't regret is! the "wooooshhh" sound from the exhaust side of the turbo is pissah IMO, especially if u got a sliding rear window (which I don't in my new truck... miss my old truck...) open that thing up and lay into the throttle a bit.... heaven

-Robb

Old 11-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Ilikebigtrucks
Junior User
It would be more fun with a manual I'm sure. I got on the highway today, turned OD off and locked the converter. It's audible now at least. I got it spooled up pretty good and let off around 2800. You could just barely tell the thing had a turbo on it before. It'll be fun in the mountains I suppose. But I do regret doing it - not a big enough pay-off for the loss of the cold-air. And considering wheeling means driving at more or less walking-pace or less for 6 hours I think sucking 200* air all day may be a bad trade.