Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Elder User

bassproguy07 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Low Sulfer Diesel

Ok, I was filling up the other day and there was a sticker on the pump that said contains ultra low sulfer diesel. Under that it said Something about It is a violation of federal law to use ultra low sulfer diesel in 2007 or newer diesel engines. Everywhere around here i have seen only low sulfer diesel, and am wondering what are the owners of the new trucks supposed to do? Is there going to be a nationwide switch in diesel fuel? or are these new engine owners SOL?
Old 10-31-2006, 04:51 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassproguy07
Ok, I was filling up the other day and there was a sticker on the pump that said contains ultra low sulfer diesel. Under that it said Something about It is a violation of federal law to use ultra low sulfer diesel in 2007 or newer diesel engines. Everywhere around here i have seen only low sulfer diesel, and am wondering what are the owners of the new trucks supposed to do? Is there going to be a nationwide switch in diesel fuel? or are these new engine owners SOL?
I think you misread the sticker. I believe it says it is against the law to use anything but ULSD in 2007 and newer vehicles
Old 10-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Senior User

crosbo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't know Phydeaux, I think I'm with Bass...I think it says that the ULSD that is currently being distributed all most if not all Valero stations, says that it cannot be used in '07 or newer rigs.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Posting Guru

Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Phydeaux88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I will have to read it again
Old 11-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Elder User

Its says it may not be used in 07 or newer engines because it can cause damage to the engine....
Old 11-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Postmaster

FARM69 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Guys, if you have a 07 or newer righ you have to use ULSD. Those stickers are confusing. It pretty much states that ULSD may cause engine damage if used in older engines.

Thus, the LSD sticker is just the opposite. It may have 07 and newer engines.

Low suflur is being phased out.. in a couple months or two ULSD will be everywhere.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:58 PM
Elder User

ok, I'll have to look at the stickers again. If ULSD is going to damage the older engines like my 6.9, what kind of damage are we talking about here? I'm hoping to get one of the newer trucks when the 6.4 comes out unless I find a 1995-2002 model dodge cummins for cheap. but I love the look of my 83 and I would like to keep it in the family for a long time, so if this ULSD hurts my engine I'd like to know what kind of HURT it gonna do
Old 11-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Senior User

DAN-D-DIESEL97 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Where I Fill Up The Sticker Says You Cant Use The Current Fuel In 2007 And Later Engines As It Will Cause Damage.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Senior User

I apologize Phydeaux...I stand corrected.

The LSD stickers I've seen at most if not all Valero stations around here say:

LOW SULFUR HIGHWAY DIESEL FUEL (500ppm Sulfur Maximum), WARNING, Federal law prohibits use in model year 2007 and later highway vehicles and engines. Its use may damage these vehicles and engines.

While the ULSD stickers I've seen at the Shell stations say:

ULTRA LOW-SULFUR DIESEL FUEL (15-PPM Sulfur Maximum) Required for use in all model 2007 and later highway diesel vehicles and engines. Recommended for use in all diesel vehicles and engines.

Either way, I'll continue to add KLEEN to my tank everytime I fuel up...as I do even when I fuel up with B10 or B20 Bio...if not for the increased lubrication, then for the additional cetane kick!

I'd post the pictures of the stickers I took on my lunch break, but I don't know how to post pictures to the forum yet.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Postmaster

FARM69 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Bio and Diesel Kleen is the solution to this problem. Mainly Bio because it has awsome lubrication abilities.

Some people have been saying that ULSD has eaten a few o rings throughout the fuel system. I'm unsure if this is true or not but it does make sense.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Senior User

With respect to the o-rings...my unit was working fine, then I latched on to about 3-4, maybe 5-6 tanks full of low-priced diesel at the Shell station...which just so happened to be the ULSD.

All of a sudden, my drain was leaking diesel like a siv. I tried the open-close attempt a couple of times, still no use. So I ordered the new o-ring kit, let my baby sit for 4 days, then installed the new rings...and all is fine. However, I haven't returned to the ULSD station, and surprisingly, the o-rings that I removed looked every bit as in good a shape as the new one's I installed.

Oh well. Right now I'm running B20, with 15 extra gallons sitting in the garage, in case I run low before heading back up towards Austin where I can pick up more.

Sulfur a problem, yeah whatever. Want to talk about problems...try driving behind any carburated car that is still on the road, particulary an older vehicle that hasn't received much love...now there's the problem!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Posting Guru

crosbo seems like a case of sticker saturation to me
Old 11-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Senior User

Could by Phydeaux...could be.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:51 AM
Elder User

Ok the Valero now only carries ULSD i looked this morning when i filled up and there was the sticker " Contains Ultra Low-Sulfur Diesel, required for all engines 2007 or newer. Reccomended for all diesel engines." so i guess im runnin ULSD now lol u say it damages o rings? god I hope so, need an excuse to get new Viton fuel lines so i can start runin BIO
Old 11-02-2006, 10:51 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels

Tags
buy, diesel, fuel, katy, low, tx, ultra