Sponsored by:

Epa Deadline Of Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 06:32 PM
bigtorque
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Epa Deadline Of Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel

BIG TORQUE HERE WITH A NEW TOPIC, well, as you may or may not know the Oct deadline from the EPA is upon us. that is in fact the sales of ultra low sulfer diesel only................We here in Anchorage AK. have had an increase in injector pump failure, pumps overheating and seasing on 03 and earlier year PSD due to the decrease in lubricity from the low sulfer fuel, ( pumps on these motors are manufactured with brass bearings, as the new ones are manufactured with stainless steel)----dont be misled, its not the sulfer we need, but the lubricant taken out of diesel fuel when the sulfer is extracted, now, with that said, even you local ford dealer may recommend a motor craft additive, ( now, why would they make an additive if there was no problem I ask) hummmm.........so my friends and I have been experimenting with many different additives,
Stanadyne
Diesel Kleen
Amsoil
Mystery oil, which is made by turtle wax.

and our conclusion is that using the Diesel Kleen over the others is the best all around, for lubricity and a 6# cetane increase for a little better mileage, All the diesel shops here localy to include my dealer recommend that all PSDs built prior to this year use some sort of lubricant additive, or it may cost you on average $500 dollars for a new pump. THAT WAS A MOUTH FULL..............

Last edited by bigtorque; 09-11-2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:57 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good post .

Would a biodiesel mix (B20) be good, or would you recommend still using an additive?

Old 09-11-2006, 07:30 PM
bigtorque
Elder User
sorry buffalo, not sure, havent done much research at all on bio. they do not sell such an item here in alaska. the only things I have heard from some other sites is that they do add an additive per tank, and i also read that some states treat their bio diesel with an additive prior to selling at the pump, will take some research to find out.............

Old 09-11-2006, 07:35 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
i know this, if i start having problems with my truck because of the new type of diesel, someone if going to have to talk to my attorney. if I have to use additive in every tank, someone else better be paying for it. i use diesel kleen every now and then, at my discretion. could you imagine what kind of class action lawsuit that could turn into if thousands of people start having truck problems??

Old 09-11-2006, 07:51 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
Unhappy

UH-OH, I already use a 16oz dose of DieselKleen with every tank. How much do we use now? If this fuel pump thing is true, this could get ugly...fast.

Old 09-11-2006, 08:08 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bigtorque
sorry buffalo, not sure, havent done much research at all on bio. they do not sell such an item here in alaska. the only things I have heard from some other sites is that they do add an additive per tank, and i also read that some states treat their bio diesel with an additive prior to selling at the pump, will take some research to find out.............
Thanks man, I'll start searching

Old 09-11-2006, 08:16 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cris 16oz per tank will put you just a little richer than Power Service reccomends to raise cetane by 6. Did you notice wally world raised the price on DK by about $3/gallon compared to when I bought it last month....Hmmm. do they know somethin we dont

Old 09-11-2006, 09:17 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
I did'nt notice, I usually buy 2 jugs at a time.

Old 09-11-2006, 10:18 PM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
We here in Anchorage AK. have had an increase in injector pump failure, pumps overheating and seasing on 03 and earlier year PSD due to the decrease in lubricity from the low sulfer fuel, ( pumps on these motors are manufactured with brass bearings, as the new ones are manufactured with stainless steel
now this is what i dont fully understand. care to fill me in on it?

Old 09-11-2006, 10:19 PM
empiretc
Lead Driver
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Man, diesel is already $.30 more than regular where I am at. Having to add DK with EVERY tank jacks it up even more.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:16 PM
bigtorque
Elder User
hey strokin, from what i have read on other sights and chatted with other folks, the fuel pump/injector pumps on earlier PSDs were manufactured with brass bearings and the newer 6.0 models were mand with stainless stell ones, so the brass cannot with stand the high temps inside the pump with out the proper lubrication, per Power Strokes of Alaska...........tech guy told me that..............

Old 09-11-2006, 11:20 PM
PowerStrokeMe
Senior User
I KNEW it was B.S. that the new fuel had enough lube with the older trucks. I already run D.K. I think its worth the $12 for 150 gallons compared to replacing fuel system parts but still, its crap that we have to do that so we dont have problems.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:15 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by amiller93
Cris 16oz per tank will put you just a little richer than Power Service reccomends to raise cetane by 6. Did you notice wally world raised the price on DK by about $3/gallon compared to when I bought it last month....Hmmm. do they know somethin we dont
Yep, the last time I bought it at Wally world it was 9.60 on Sunday I went to get some more it was 15.80. I'll shop around for the best price I think.

Duncan

Old 09-12-2006, 04:30 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I will tell you it's not gonna be Wally. Power Services must be taking advantage of it because Wally doesn't make their money by jacking up prices above competitors just to make a buck. Remember, they have a price match gaurantee.

Old 09-12-2006, 06:27 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
This thread was better off in General Diesel.
I am interested in the bearing issue for the fuel pumps as well, that's a new one on me. It purely an academic excersize for me however, I've adapted a fuel pump for a gas engine vehicle and put it into my fuel tank. Gasoline has no lubricity whatsoever and those pumps last 200,000+.

Quick Reply: Epa Deadline Of Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel