1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1953 F100 - Guidance requested

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 01:36 PM
laverda
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1953 F100 - Guidance requested

Well first off ... apologies to all. I was to provide an update to my seat replacement search and have not (it took me a year to complete this step!) I was also disappointed with the results and am unsure of the next step. I ended up creating some square stock risers and installing a late 80s GMC seat. Good fit, very uncomfortable for a tall guy. That seat has to go!

Anyway ... guidance. I have a 1953 F100 with a '56 Merc YBlock, BW T86 3spd with OD and the truck has to become a year round daily (note latitude). The YBlock and std trans will have to be retired for now. I also have a 1988 F150 with the 4.9L I6 (injected and in good shape) and a freshly re-built C6 (this truck is currently the daily). The '88s rust issues are now a safety concern. So why the story? Well the previous owner of the '53 had installed a twin IBeam suspension out of mid 70s F100 (king pin style). It is a very clean install and the cost of a new MII front suspension or perhaps a rebuilt clip is very high once purchase and labour is factored in. Can I use the current front end, x-member with my '88 drivetrain?? Are the engine mounts similiar? (~'76 - '88). Will an I6 fit (I have searched the FTE forums and it appears probably is the answer) in the old gal??

I would attempt to swap all the required parts from the '88 to the '53 to use the I6 and the C6 in the '53. I may be biting off more than I can chew with the EFI setup, controller, electronic mgt, etc.

I would like some candid advice to pursuing the path .... nutty or other?

Any help would be appreciated. There is a pic in my gallery of the victim ... uh ... '53 ;-) Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Al

Old 10-27-2006, 03:01 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts

Keep the Y block!

Kevin Bigwin

Old 10-28-2006, 11:05 AM
laverda
New User
Point taken.
I will not sell the Y but keep it for the future. My 'daily' is only used once every week or two. The EFI fires up with 3 cranks, the Y takes me a quite a bit longer to get going. I also need an AT for my wife.

I will try a post in another FTE forum that may know the difference between the IBeam x-members..

Comments still encouraged ;-)

Thx.

A

Old 10-28-2006, 11:25 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Since the 53 was available with an I6 fit should not be a problem. You might need to stand in the engine bay to work on it tho. The EFI may be the sticker. An 88 should be OBD1 which only covered engine management IIRC. Swaping over the electronics isn't the issue, it's whatever extranious sensors were tied in with failsafes that are difficult to deal with such as airbags, seatbelts and occupant detectors, neutral/park and clutch and/or brake sensors. Some can be bypassed or tricked, others adapted, but it can drive you crazy trying to figure out what is or isn't needed when the engine refuses to start or even crank over. With Ford's EFI V8s they offer a stand alone engine management computer, but I don't know if they do the same for the I6?

Old 10-28-2006, 03:20 PM
alanco
Senior User
300 Six in a '53

Originally Posted by laverda
Well first off ... apologies to all. I was to provide an update to my seat replacement search and have not (it took me a year to complete this step!) I was also disappointed with the results and am unsure of the next step. I ended up creating some square stock risers and installing a late 80s GMC seat. Good fit, very uncomfortable for a tall guy. That seat has to go!

Anyway ... guidance. I have a 1953 F100 with a '56 Merc YBlock, BW T86 3spd with OD and the truck has to become a year round daily (note latitude). The YBlock and std trans will have to be retired for now. I also have a 1988 F150 with the 4.9L I6 (injected and in good shape) and a freshly re-built C6 (this truck is currently the daily). The '88s rust issues are now a safety concern. So why the story? Well the previous owner of the '53 had installed a twin IBeam suspension out of mid 70s F100 (king pin style). It is a very clean install and the cost of a new MII front suspension or perhaps a rebuilt clip is very high once purchase and labour is factored in. Can I use the current front end, x-member with my '88 drivetrain?? Are the engine mounts similiar? (~'76 - '88). Will an I6 fit (I have searched the FTE forums and it appears probably is the answer) in the old gal??

I would attempt to swap all the required parts from the '88 to the '53 to use the I6 and the C6 in the '53. I may be biting off more than I can chew with the EFI setup, controller, electronic mgt, etc.

Any help would be appreciated. There is a pic in my gallery of the victim ... uh ... '53 ;-) Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Al
I would have serious concerns with using a nice '53 truck as a daily if there was a lot of road salt to live with. IMO I would find a dead or dying 88 F-150 or F-250 and put your engine and tranny in it.

Putting late model engines and electronics in an older truck is a bit advanced for someone not up on how to wire, how to diagnose the computer, how to fab engine mounts and weld. All of those skills, IMO, are rquired, or hiring someone to do it will cost you a lot.

It sounds like your '53 is a pretty nice truck, although, I would rather have a flathead in it instead of a Y-block. The Flathead with OD would be great, and the truck would lose 200 lbs in the front. The same is true with the I-6. More power and less weight. A "scattershield" Bell Housing on the I-6 would allow the B-W OD to bolt up. The I-6 has the standard Small Block Ford 6 bolt bell housing pattern. You would have to fabricate engine mounts, although you could find a 66-68 Econoline crossmember for a 240 six (same block) and modify that to bolt into your frame for the front mounts, and I am sure they added a transmission crossmember for the long and heavy overdrive. I am assuming that the Y-block is a passenger engine with a passenger tranny and OD, and that they mounted the engine with passenger type mounts.

A fuel injected engine is wonderful for mileage, cold starts and hot starts, and engine longevity. But putting a nice truck out where it will rust out is not my idea of common sense. Having another 88 F-150 rust out makes the most sense.

Regards,

Alanco

Old 10-28-2006, 03:51 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
With the '75 front clip, did they use the big twin I beam crossmember? If so then you could use 300 I-6 mounts from a '65-79 truck. They redesigned the twin-I-beam suspension in 1980. Otherwise do what Alanco suggested. Some more sources would be a '65-66 F-350 and F-600.

Old 10-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running an early twin-i-beam frame with a 5.0 efi from a 89 f150. I used the stock motor mounts from the twin-I-beam frame, just moved them forward an inch or so for firewall clearance.

Old 10-28-2006, 08:50 PM
54fever
Senior User
Laverda, i know exactly what your talking about with the seat problem, imo the newer seats either put you to high in the cab or to far forward. i know a guy who shared the same problem and he is a small person, anyway he bought a seat from roddoors (a exact fit) and loves it. He said he almost falls asleep in it, its that comfortable. The only downside besides fallin asleep in it (ha! ha! ha!) is its abit pricey. The price in the roddoors book is $499.00 uncovered or $849.00 covered and i believe it would be free shipping. The seats also fold forward and a optional riser kit can be purchased also. Hope it helps, "O" and i woudn't make her a daily driver, save her for the shows.

Old 11-03-2006, 10:06 PM
laverda
New User
Thanks very much for all the advice. I have been unable to find local (affordable) help and do not have the required facilities for a long term build. The point about a '53 not being the best choice for a year round driver is valid. Unfortunately, I can only have one vehicle so the '53 may have to go. I need a completely reliable daily for my young daughter and may have to choose an alternate for now. I am not sure if the FTE has a classifieds area, but plan to sell in the spring (I just the put the truck into storage). Anyone know any Winnipegers interested in an old truck?? :-)

Regards,
Al