1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

56 with rear air ride 4 link

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:22 PM
casey56F100
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
56 with rear air ride 4 link

does any body have pic of a 56 with air ride 4 link rear suspension. I plan on using this on my 56 and would like a good idea of what it looks like sitting on the frame without it being c notched.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Bad5t6
Freshman User
Originally Posted by casey56F100
does any body have pic of a 56 with air ride 4 link rear suspension. I plan on using this on my 56 and would like a good idea of what it looks like sitting on the frame without it being c notched.
Sorry bro but I think you're definately needing to C Notch the frame to make it sit on the frame. I am working on my rear end now, and looks like I ca flip the rear leaf springs and thats about it before c-notching.

Air bag guys please prove me wrong before I break out my plasma cutter!

Old 10-25-2006, 12:21 AM
keith56_cruz_cab
Elder User
You have to c notch pics in my gallery

Old 10-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Dasdays
New User
Air Ride 4-Link on '56 F100

I don't know if this will help you out, but, this is how they did mine.
<Z>

I have additional photos, if you'd like me to email them to you.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:10 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Dasdays,

I have a dumb question does this setup have any weight carrying capacity. I know that seems dumb but I drive my truck and if I find something at a swap meet or show that I want I will carry it in my truck. Have you put any road miles on this setup? Thanks Donald

Old 10-25-2006, 11:22 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by tacson
Dasdays,

I have a dumb question does this setup have any weight carrying capacity. I know that seems dumb but I drive my truck and if I find something at a swap meet or show that I want I will carry it in my truck. Have you put any road miles on this setup? Thanks Donald

Bags on mine are rated at 1500lbs each. 1/2 ton truck is 1000lbs load, so that leaves 2000lb capacity.

Sam

Old 10-26-2006, 12:04 AM
Bad5t6
Freshman User
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sdetweil
Bags on mine are rated at 1500lbs each. 1/2 ton truck is 1000lbs load, so that leaves 2000lb capacity.

Sam
DAMN!!! Nice!~

Old 10-26-2006, 12:47 AM
Dasdays
New User
Unhappy In response to Donald.

I had the truck restored because it was my late husband's "dream truck". A project he never got to...he died in an automobile accident. He had classic truck magazines and Ford F100 parts books everywhere with the corners folded on things that he liked and wanted to try and incorporate. The only thing he got done, before he died, was changing the front clip with one from a Chevy Camero (he said he wanted power steering and a smooth ride...he didn't want it to "drive like a truck"). I got a wee bit carried away with the bells and whistles but I knew I'd only have one shot at it. I told the man that is doing the restoration, that after I pay him to complete this project, I won't be able to afford to replace my driver when it dies. I told him to make this my new mercedes.

I'm pretty certain it would withstand a weight load of what you describe, however, I had the bed lined in oak and the side panels of the bed upholstered. It has a custom made tonneau cover that's fabricated and fit but not painted, yet. It truly will be my new mercedes...my driver. She won't be a trailer queen "off to the show" but I don't see myself heading off to a farm auction and bringing home spare parts in her either (I have a "real" farm truck for that).

The truck isn't quite finished yet. So, to answer your question about miles..none yet. I'm planning a spring road trip to christen her.

Since registering on this site, I've discovered that it's mostly about technical stuff, reference building your own rides. My husband would have loved this site and lived on it, however, I'm finding it a bit intimidating. I don't know that I'll be here much longer. He was Mr. McGyver....I was just the wrench fetcher. This is way over my head and I shouldn't have even posted that reply about the air ride system...I just thought it might help the man to see another photo and/or way of installing it.

Donnetta

Old 10-26-2006, 01:40 AM
Huntfamily53
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss...but what a great tribute Donnetta! Sounds like that truck is and will be just as special to you as it was to your husband...He would sure be proud!
Good luck in finishing it!

Old 10-26-2006, 01:52 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
I too am very sorry to hear about your loss. I am sure your husband would be very proud of you for continuing his dream. I hope that after I am gone, whoever buys mine will do the same (or similar) to her.

Please don't feel intimidated around here. A lot of the threads are about technical things, but mostly we just enjoy talking about our trucks. Showing pictures is one of the favorite pastimes.

The picture you posted should be helpful to others. That is a very clean install and I don't see a frame notch. I am sure there are a lot of things you can tell us about how "the professional" did certain things on your truck. That is helping even if you didn't do the work yourself.

Hope you stick around and say hi at least.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:00 AM
Dasdays
New User
I'm Too Sensitive

Thanks, guys!!

I want to publicly apologize to Donald/Tacson. I'm going to stick around...just don't ask me technical questions...that's guy stuff (I don't do that well). Photos, I have...loads of them, at every stage. If they'll help anyone out there, I'm more than happy to share them.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:09 AM
Brian_B
Postmaster
Good! I am glad you decided to hang around. They say a photo is worth a thousand words.

Well...that is almost true. Sometimes (some of us that are not as smart) need to know what the picure is of.

Since you already know how to make your gallery, you can make sections in it for your entire build. Then you can just link to the gallery image or whole gallery when something comes up (I.E. this thread).

Besides, I am sure I am not the only one who wants to see how your truck went together.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:52 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Mrs Donetta,

No problem. I probably asked the question wrong. I think I would like air rear suspension eventually. You will find here most of the time we ask questions to get others folks experience and lesson(S) learned. Sorta Kinda like when my wife tries to make these yellow cake with lemon glaze frosting that my mom can make in her sleep . Stay around and if you have questions between myself, Brian B, Jag54, Randy Jack, J Niolon, Fatfender, Fenders, AxRacer, Jaye, Fomoko, Mr4speed, Imlowr2, GreatNorthwoods,EdsF100, and many, many, many others I think we can have you F100lized in a short time. We love pictures though.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:48 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm impressed Donetta, how honoring is that to want to fix up your late husbands truck. Most or all of in here (including your husband) have a passion for these old trucks whether they are new, old, rusted, or customized. That's what brings us together as a bond. I personally think that is a wonderful thing your doing and I know your husband will appreciate that mercedes when it's finished. Lot of knowledge and help in here, not to mention a bunch of really good people. Remember, there aren't any dumb questions in here. Unfortunately my wife sees trucks and cars as transportation, but she knows if something happened to me, either get my truck on Overhaulin, or slam that puppy to the ground and install a 671 blown engine under the hood. Oops, sorry, I got carried away dreaming again.

Last edited by imlowr2; 10-26-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No kiddin'. What a loss that would be. I will bet that there is no one here that would think that anyone with an interest in Ford F1-F100's should not be involved. No matter their level of involvement. I for one enyoyed your gallery and would like to see more. Especially of the overhead console. Joe