Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Recall??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 06:53 AM
truckmonger1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Recall??

Does anyone know of a recall oon the V10 for major problems. I currently have one and a guy who is buying my truck was telling me that he heard about a recall and thought it was for knocking or noises. I have not seen or heard anything about this.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:13 AM
Kennicol
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a recall on my 01 they put a in line fuse under the hood for the cruise controll

Old 10-20-2006, 08:16 AM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
Um - all you have to do is use the "Recalls/TSBs" link at the top of the page. Nothing for my '01 Ex, v10 concerning the engine. You didn't say what year/model the recall may be on.

Old 10-21-2006, 11:31 AM
rob17
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkMoore
Um - all you have to do is use the "Recalls/TSBs" link at the top of the page.
I saw two recalls for my truck. But when I selected the recall notices to get the particulars they were both blank.

Rob

Old 10-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
In recent history there have been several "recalls" but nothing major on the motor

A seat belt clasp locking mechanism in 2000-2001 replaced the driver and passenger buckle claps internals so the break away level was higher

Several Broad spectrum recalls over many model years for the switch on the bottom of the brake master cylinder ... one of the two switches goes to the cruise control logic to dis-continue CC if brake applied...

This circuit is in an ALWAYS hot with 12 VDC on the wire all the time even with key OFF... this is bad electrical practice and caused many complete vehicle fires and a few homes lost when the fire was in a garage...

This brand of bottom mounted switch can deteriorate inside and leak brake fluid into the electrical contact side. This can cause a direct short to ground for the 12DVC and there is no in line fusing... Eventually the wire over heats and catches fire...

I highly recommend even if you are not on the vin specific recall list to simply add in a 10 amp fuse in this circuit.

In all the years there are various recalls for certain vins for 4R100 and 5R110w automatic transmissions... the field experience is that if you had one of the bad transmissions it would have already failed within warranty...

The most well done recall I have ever experienced from any Major Manufacture.. was the early unit 5R110w recall for improperly installed internal parts and some weak or defective internal parts..

Ford fixed every broken 5R110 under warranty... they notified every one of the owners of a suspect transmission and assured many others of us in the "problem trany" zone on manufacture or assembly if we did or did not have a bad transmission.

I am one of the first 2005 3v V10s off the job one line in mid 2004 but I did not get one of the "bad" 5R110 assemblies.... Ford actually sent me a letter identifying the problem, and how they determined rather rapidly when in the production run the bad transmission got assembled, and that mine was not from that group even though I had an "early" V10 to 5R100 model.

This letter came in Nov 2004 right when we started seeing all the failures in the field from you norther guys trying to snow plow and breaking the trans almost every day. the wait times for repair were horrendous... made a lot of use very concerned.

The 2v and 3v V10 Motors have never had a motor specific recall that I am aware of...

However there are a lot of TSBs (technical service bulletins) to the dealer techs describing how to diagnose and fix several common problems like miss fires, vacuum leaks, and low power complaints... lots and lots of re-flash codes were developed for the CAFE states and the rest of the fleet

I have NOT sent any feed back to FTE.... but the TSB link is worthless for the 99-07 V10s as far as I can tell...never have been able to pull up the ones I know for a fact are issued

Old 10-22-2006, 10:41 PM
truckmonger1
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't heard of anything either but I thought I would ask. I even thought that they guy was just trying to throw that out as a potential bargaining factor in the truck sale deal. He later said that he had a V10 in a van so he must not think they are all that bad if he is looking at another one.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:00 AM
rob17
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Fredvon4
I highly recommend even if you are not on the vin specific recall list to simply add in a 10 amp fuse in this circuit.
This sounds like a good idea. I was wondering if you could possibly supply a photo, or two. showing your 10A fuse installation.

Rob

Old 10-25-2006, 10:39 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Sorry Rob... no photos

Did not do this for my 05 but helped put a few on other 2000-2003 trucks...

I will get my hands on a friends truck soon and let you know in words what exact wire and a good description on cutting the wire and putting an "in line" fuse on the circuit.

Old 10-25-2006, 01:42 PM
rob17
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Fredvon4
Did not do this for my 05 but helped put a few on other 2000-2003 trucks...

I will get my hands on a friends truck soon and let you know in words what exact wire and a good description on cutting the wire and putting an "in line" fuse on the circuit.
Thanks Fred, it certainly sounds like a good idea. Are you planning on doing your '05?

Rob

Old 10-25-2006, 10:57 PM
R Swenson
New User
I have an 01 f250 with the v-10.
last week I had an underhood fire caused by the sensor on the speed control.
no real damage other than burned wire insulation and the smell.
Dealer told me of the recall and had all parts in stock to fix.
My cruise control had not been working for a month or so before.
Fire happened while stopped at a light, in traffic.
I did not recieve a recall notice.
I suggest immediate action if you have this model truck.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:54 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Out of town and can't get to my notebook with the part numbers and wire codes...

sounds like some of your are concerned...

Ford will fix this for free...

I think they are now replacing the switch and putting an in-line fuse on it

If you run into a butt head service desk person who insists your vin is NOT in the recall.... you can test and determine for yourself if there is a risk.

The problem is a full time HOT wire in the engine compartment that has 12 Volt DC on it all the time even with key off. This wire is part of the Cruise Control circuit that goes to a Normally Open switch under the bottom of the Brake Master cylinder. Some brands of this switch have a faulty internal seal that deteriorates and lets flammable brake fluid seep into the electrical contact section and start corrosion of the brass / copper electrical contacts. Once the insulation around the wire and contacts is deteriorated a dead short to ground can happen. 12 Volts DC directly shorted to ground will make the connection and wire very hot... the flammable brake fluid and any oil grease in the area will catch fire.

You can test if your system is full time HOT with 12 volts DC on the line with a DC probe that has a light in it or a Multimeter or DC volt meter. On most trucks there are two switches that look identical, both have an electrical connector that is not too hard to release.

With the motor OFF, and Key OFF, remove each of the connectors and probe for voltage on each of the connectors...

With a light type probe place the black wire to ground and poke around inside the connector and if the light glows there is voltage present...

With a volt meter set to a range higher then 12 volts, place the black lead to a good ground point, and the red lead is used to probe for voltage... any movement of the needle or digital scale is voltage present..you do NOT care how much you just need to know if there is any voltage on the circuit.

If you have the CC system that has a full time HOT, this is the wire to add a 5 to 10 amp fuse in...

If you can not find any voltage, put it all back together you have a system that does not need a fuse

To add in the fuse if needed:

First disconnect the battery ground clamp.

Then just cut the HOT wire you found, in a convenient place, strip off some insulation from each end, crimp or solder in the fuse holder. I use heat shrink and solder for a permanent and trouble free professional connection. Crimp and tape is OK too.

Once you have a good electrical and mechanical connection reconnect the battery and test to see that there is no voltage on any of the connectors still. This proves to you that you did the correct wire.

Add in the 5 amp fuse and test again to prove that you now have the 12 volts the CC circuit needs...

Reconnect both connectors, get all your tools and stuff out and close the hood and forget about it.

I would buy a spare switch for the bottom of the brake cylinder to keep. If yours does ever go bad, the switch will short out, the fuse should blow, and the wires will not be burnt. The cruise control will not work. Just replace the switch. Put in a new fuse and you are back with a working Cruise Control

Last edited by Fredvon4; 10-28-2006 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:59 AM
mark_the_redneck
Freshman User
2001 f-350 v-10 recall we got was on cruise control.. aint had it done yet caint sit still long enuff

Old 11-10-2007, 09:02 AM
ranchero64
New User
Which year and models are affected by the switch on the master cylinder?