1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Putting a 341 Chrysler DeSoto engine in a 56 F100

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:39 AM
F100Central
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Putting a 341 Chrysler DeSoto engine in a 56 F100

Someone asked me about putting a 341 desoto engine and 727 auto. in a 56 F100. He was looking for ways to mount it. Has anyone done this swap or know if there are engine mounts out there that will work? I imagine the 727 mount is simple, but the motor is another story. I'm not a Chrysler guy and couldn't help much.

Old 10-10-2006, 07:45 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I hope he's a good fabricator, I don't think you will find anything commercially available for this swap. I know how it is to be different, I'm putting a Mercedes diesel in my 53.

Jeff

Old 10-10-2006, 10:28 AM
alanco
Senior User
Virtually any engine fits, but..........

Originally Posted by cwissmar
Someone asked me about putting a 341 desoto engine and 727 auto. in a 56 F100. He was looking for ways to mount it. Has anyone done this swap or know if there are engine mounts out there that will work? I imagine the 727 mount is simple, but the motor is another story. I'm not a Chrysler guy and couldn't help much.
1. Very heavy engine, would upset the balance of the truck more than a Y block would.
2. No harder to put in than virtutally any engine. Mounts are easy to fabricate. If you can't weld or fabricate, you should not be doing engine conversions, IMO.
3. These trucks are well balanced only with light engines. The 300 six is a great engine, the SBF or SBC are the best. Plenty of power, they fit well and are light. There are too many good trucks hacked up with stupid engines such as Ford Clevelands, Chrysler Hemis, Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles, BBCs, 460s, etc.
4. Outside of California, there is virtually no market for Mustang II suspended, super low 2WD F-100s. They have been done to infinity. They are far more popular with sensible conversions and decent ground clearance.

Regards,

Alanco

Old 10-10-2006, 12:13 PM
brucewolff
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alanco
1. Very heavy engine, would upset the balance of the truck more than a Y block would.
2. No harder to put in than virtutally any engine. Mounts are easy to fabricate. If you can't weld or fabricate, you should not be doing engine conversions, IMO.
3. These trucks are well balanced only with light engines. The 300 six is a great engine, the SBF or SBC are the best. Plenty of power, they fit well and are light. There are too many good trucks hacked up with stupid engines such as Ford Clevelands, Chrysler Hemis, Cadillacs, Oldsmobiles, BBCs, 460s, etc.
4. Outside of California, there is virtually no market for Mustang II suspended, super low 2WD F-100s. They have been done to infinity. They are far more popular with sensible conversions and decent ground clearance.

Regards,

Alanco
This will certainly get the blood boiliing!

Old 10-10-2006, 02:18 PM
alanco
Senior User
Imho

Well Bruce, since I really think 2WD trucks are largely useless and for sissies. it falls right in my area. I make F-100s into decent 4WD Trucks that can actually deal with back roads and can also tow heavy trailers. The stock F-100s can't tow much, and have too much rear overhang. The F-250's are much more sensible, and getting rid of the pickup bed for a flatbed makes a great 9' long hauling platform. Having 4WD allows the truck to tow in dirt, snow and other low traction situations especially when hills are involved. Honestly, down in the weeds F-100s remind me of poodles.......

The Bonneville racing truck we are building with a flathead, is for XF stock truck record. It will be low, and will be built to go 106MPH for the record. It will be a racing poodle truck, good for one thing........

Regards,

Alanco

Old 10-10-2006, 02:23 PM
F100Central
Junior User
My bad. I messed up.

Last edited by cwissmar; 10-10-2006 at 02:24 PM. Reason: I messed up
Old 10-10-2006, 06:32 PM
black58
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Regards,

Alanco
I have to say you must not get out of your neck of the woods much. I've seen "super low 2WD F-100s" everywhere I've been. From Georgia to New York to Chicago, St. Louis, Pheonix, and even Denver! I remember you from a few months back your holier than thou tone seemed to rub a few people wrong back then too.

Last edited by black58; 10-10-2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:36 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Is the 341 the baby hemi version? If so should be able to rework one of the tubular style mounts to fit it. The 56 engine bay will handle most anything smaller than an Allison. But there really are better engine choices. Those things are dinosaurs and without a lot of work and $$$ difficult to find parts have low HP. Tell him to sell the engine to a collector or restorer and put in something newer. If he's into MOPAR engines then a 383-440 wedge with the 427 would be a good choice.
PS: just curious, is you friend <18 or >55 YO?

Last edited by AXracer; 10-10-2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:51 PM
alanco
Senior User
Holier than thou?

Originally Posted by black58
I have to say you nust not get out of your neck of the woods much. I've seen "super low 2WD F-100s" everywhere I've been. From Georgia to New York to Chicago, St. Louis, Pheonix, and even Denver! I remember you from a few months back your holier than thou tone seemed to rub a few people wrong back then too.
Well of course, it is just my opinion, and aside from summer conventions of F-100 poodle trucks, you do not see them in rain, in snow, in mud or mountains where real trucks go. On the East Coast, no body drives poodle trucks in the winter, and this is true anywhere north of the Mason Dixon line..... So, IMO, if you want a summer poodle truck and you never leave the pavement, hack away! And also, put in a dinosaur engine that gets no gas mileage, puts out power which cannot be put on the road through two tires, and which weighs so much the truck will never handle or drive well, or even tow well. Also, be sure to subscribe to Custom Classic Trucks.......

Regards,

Alanco

Old 10-10-2006, 07:13 PM
black58
Elder User
Well of course, it is just my opinion, and aside from summer conventions of F-100 poodle trucks, you do not see them in rain, in snow, in mud or mountains where real trucks go. On the East Coast, no body drives poodle trucks in the winter, and this is true anywhere north of the Mason Dixon line..... So, IMO, if you want a summer poodle truck and you never leave the pavement, hack away! And also, put in a dinosaur engine that gets no gas mileage, puts out power which cannot be put on the road through two tires, and which weighs so much the truck will never handle or drive well, or even tow well. Also, be sure to subscribe to Custom Classic Trucks.......

Regards,

Alanco
Well, I live in Northern Illinois and last time I checked that was north of the Mason Dixon Line. Why do you feel that anyone else in the world cares what your opinion is. Why can't you let other people have their opinions? I don't understand your animosity towards these trucks. What did your dog get hit by one when you were younger or something? Did a guy in a low rider steal your high school sweetheart? Just curious... Custom Classic Trucks.. Good one

Old 10-10-2006, 07:33 PM
alanco
Senior User
Opinions.......................

Originally Posted by black58
Well, I live in Northern Illinois and last time I checked that was north of the Mason Dixon Line. Why do you feel that anyone else in the world cares what your opinion is. Why can't you let other people have their opinions? I don't understand your animosity towards these trucks. What did your dog get hit by one when you were younger or something? Did a guy in a low rider steal your high school sweetheart? Just curious... Custom Classic Trucks.. Good one
You won't say, but I know you don't drive your truck in the winter. Why does my opinion threaten you? It is just my opinion. Also I have had an F-100 as my only truck and I know its weaknesses. What makes you think that anyone cares about your opinion either? I am having fun with my opinions and I no longer could even use a poodle truck, it would not even make it in my driveway.... I do allow others to have their opinions, but to hear about someone who wants to hack up a '56 and ruin the truck, I am not going to encourage them, but to question their sanity. If you don't like that, then get mad, but you know I'm right. Any truck I build will not only get good gas mileage, it will have 4WD, and it will be a driver. It encourages our hobby by being out where others have only new trucks. You ought to see the questions an old truck gets when it is towing or hauling by those with new trucks. Does this not confirm the hobby?

So if my cynical humor is not your cup of tea, suffer in salt on the highways Illinois this winter. Mine is a year round driver.........Not all of us in the forum are city boys with curbs and gutters and too low trucks....

Regards,

Alanco

Last edited by alanco; 10-10-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:21 PM
black58
Elder User
You won't say, but I know you don't drive your truck in the winter. Why does my opinion threaten you? It is just my opinion. Also I have had an F-100 as my only truck and I know its weaknesses. What makes you think that anyone cares about your opinion either? I am having fun with my opinions and I no longer could even use a poodle truck, it would not even make it in my driveway.... I do allow others to have their opinions, but to hear about someone who wants to hack up a '56 and ruin the truck, I am not going to encourage them, but to question their sanity. If you don't like that, then get mad, but you know I'm right. Any truck I build will not only get good gas mileage, it will have 4WD, and it will be a driver. It encourages our hobby by being out where others have only new trucks. You ought to see the questions an old truck gets when it is towing or hauling by those with new trucks. Does this not confirm the hobby?

So if my cynical humor is not your cup of tea, suffer in salt on the highways Illinois this winter. Mine is a year round driver.........Not all of us in the forum are city boys with curbs and gutters and too low trucks....

Regards,

Alanco
Actually I've never stated my opinion because who cares. I don't own a low rider. I haven't even been able to drive my truck in two years. I'm not mad. I don't even really care. I'm just pointing out there are many styles out there and many opinions. I've also had an F-100 as my only form of transportation. Three on the tree through the winter it was fun. Who said I was a city boy? I grew up in the ozarks. I've owned two Scouts a J-20 and an 86 FJ60. I love off roading. I hate to tell you but there's probably a thing or two you could learn from a low rider or a street racer or a city boy with a caddy engine in his truck. None of which I am.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:21 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,364 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Getting too far off topic with this thread so let`s get back on track.......the 341 engine.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:51 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,626 Likes on 1,326 Posts
I googled "desoto 341" and this came up first:

http://www.hothemiheads.com/rebuild_...ld_desoto.html

and on the same site:

http://www.hothemiheads.com/desoto/index.html

Plus this:

http://www.thehemi.com/desotohemi.php

Lists dry weight at 669 lbs.

More trivia:

http://classichemi.com/index1.shtml#DeSoto

Does yours have 2 x 4bbls?

Says here a 292 weighs 610 lbs, so them old F100s must be runnin' thin on front spring if a 669lb motor will sink 'em...

Hey, I seen a '56 today. Missing most of the LF fender. Three guys in it, tools and cans in the back, they was headed to the next job. Looked like maybe a mow and blow or other landscraper fella. Stock height, and 2wd, and I could see the straight axle so I know it didn't have a MII clip. And this is SoCal.....

Hey, if you want to put that hemi in there, it looks like there is about as much info and as many folks interested in the motor as are into the '56 F100, so you should be able to do it up right.

I strongly suggest a blower and two 4bbls on top of it.....

Old 10-10-2006, 10:52 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cwissmar
I'd think the tranny would be more of a difficult mating than the engine. Likely there are adapter made, but the 341 and the 727 torqueflite both have integral bellhousings. The usual solution back in the day when 727's were the tranny of choice for dragracing was to machine the bellhousing off the tranny since the case is aluminum and bolt the adapter plate to the front pump cover. There may still be a few guys around that remember how to do this besides me...
That's the reason I asked about the guy's age, sounds like a dragracer from the early 60's. The 341 actually was more durable than the 392 so you could up the blower pressure to increase the HP and it would wind up a little tighter without going Kaboom. During the gasser wars the 392 was weapon of choice for AG/S match racers, but the guys on a smaller budget ran the "baby hemi" in BG/S.

Quick Reply: Putting a 341 Chrysler DeSoto engine in a 56 F100