1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Leaking C6

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2001, 05:19 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Leaking C6

I can't stop my C6 from leaking. I snug the bolts and drive it park it and it leaks again. Would you use star washers, lock washers, or lock tight, to combat this leaking pan problem?

John
jowilker
[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker|Club FTE since 01 01] My FTE Page

[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker/NCFTE.html|NC Truck Owners] NC Ford Truck owners group

66F100s Rule
In the cool still quite of night you can hear chevies rusting away.

Old 05-25-2001, 06:41 PM
packrat_1954
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaking C6

Lets see if we can fix this little problem. Drop your pan again, and look at the holed in the pan. I think you will find that they are pulled out of shape. (they will be humped up) Check to make sure none of the holes have broke through where people have over tighten the bolts. Clean the gasket off good, lay the pan on the edge of a table, with just the part where the bolts are on the table, let the main part of the pan hang off, and with a small hammer flaten the pan back down. A little past flat is OK, but don't get carried away..install a new gasket, snug the pan up even..

packrat_1954

Old 05-25-2001, 09:34 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Leaking C6

Thanks Leonard, I am having trouble keeping the bolts tight. Any thoughts about that?

John
jowilker

[link:www.ford-trucks.net/users/jowilker/NCFTE.html|NC Truck Owners] NC Ford Truck owners group

66F100s Rule

Old 05-25-2001, 11:05 PM
66ranger
Elder User
Leaking C6

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 26-May-01 AT 00:06 AM (EST)[/font][p]I had the same type of problem with my C4. After replacing the gasket with a new cork type from Napa, tightening as per the specs, it leaked just like the old one. I went to another auto parts store and got a rubber pan gasket, repeated the process, and so far so good. I'm convinced that leaks have alot to do with the type of gasket used... Good time to check the seal where the filler neck attaches to the pan too. Good Luck!

Old 05-26-2001, 06:54 AM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Leaking C6

John, after checking to make sure the pan rails are flat, I would use a rubber gasket, small flat washers and locktight or the magic thread juice of your choice. I feel compelled to point out, however, that my household has a toploader, 2 NP435s and a Clark 285 and none of them seem to have any leaks. Just a thought..... DF

Old 05-26-2001, 05:34 PM
davlo
Junior User
Leaking C6

John how much are you tightening the bolts ? too much can be the same has not enough.

Old 05-26-2001, 07:55 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Leaking C6

Cal Thanks for the tip, but everybody knows that all of the pressure is applied from them big long ugly sticks coming out of the floor because there isn't a pump cost effective enough to move that thick crud around in the tranny case, like in a nice self shifting tranny, like a C6. I will leave that big arm mountain ruff man concept for you. LOL ;-)

Dave I havent been over tightening the bolts. I have been pulling them real snug with a 3/8" ratchet. I pulled harder on them today, I'll see if that works.

I will get a rubber gasket, pound out the pan rails and refill it with synthetic fluid, if it continues to leak.

What do I have to do to get the fluid out of the torque converter.

John
jowilker

66F100s Rule

Old 05-26-2001, 08:29 PM
Nathan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leaking C6

John, some converters have a drain plug in them, or you can drill and tap one in.

I have heard that synthetic fluids will lead from a motor or tranny that never leaked with the old decomposed dinosaur fluids. Personally Ive never tried it.

Try a little RTV with the new gasket also.

Nathan

Old 05-26-2001, 11:33 PM
davlo
Junior User
Leaking C6

A - Ok on how you tightened them. The rule of thumb I was taught by mechanics I worked with was ,using a 3/8 rachet apply moderate force with 2 fingers and the thumb . This equals about 150 inch Lb which is right on target.The C6 is 120 to 168 Inch pounds or 10 to 14 foot pounds.

Old 05-27-2001, 06:26 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Leaking C6

I'll see if this one has a drain plug. The tranny is a fairly new rebuild about 5k on it. I was using Ryder trucks heavely in the mid 80s and got a brand new one for a while, when it came in for its first PM they drained the tranny and rear gear cases and filled them with synthetic oils. I personally haven't justified synthetic in the engine yet, but think as much as trannys cost to rebuild it's worth concidering. Cost of the fluid has been the biggest factor in that case.

I'm glad to hear your thoughts on it. :-)

I removed one of the pan bolts and it looked like too much tightening may have occured by the previous owner. I will use the silicon also. :-)

John
jowilker

66F100s Rule

Old 05-27-2001, 11:18 PM
jimarlie
Senior User
Leaking C6

John,

Don't you just hate those bolt pucker Gremlins? Synthetic fluid is obviosly the wave of the future but my experience has been that it causes problems in trannys that have been using standard atf. My philosophy - if it ain't broke dont't fix it! Just my 2 cents.

Jim

Old 05-28-2001, 06:33 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Leaking C6

Jim, That has been the leakingest damn truck. First it was valve covers, then the ps steering gear I pulled it at least 4 times, then the intake, I screwed a gooseneck bolt in too much into the alu and stripped it, and always the tranny, oh and recently the r r axle seal. I tightened the engine oil pan once and got it stopped. I just can't seem to be able to keep the floor dry under the truck.

Oh well, enough about that.

I hope everyone remembers our fallen today and just thank God for them and the country that we live in. (Mem. day 2001)

John
jowilker

66F100s Rule

Old 05-28-2001, 07:28 AM
Nathan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leaking C6

John, that oil soaked floor will never rust out!

Just lookin at the bright side!

Nathan

Old 05-28-2001, 01:12 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Leaking C6

You got a point there Nathan, the bad part is that they are widening I-85 and it will be lost in a couple-three years anyway.

John
jowilker

66F100s Rule

Old 05-31-2001, 12:06 AM
jimarlie
Senior User
Leaking C6

John,

Might try exorcism. Best bet, in my opinion, is to pull it out and replace all seals and gaskets. Pain in the rear isn't it?
Could just swap in one that Loves Ya. Sometimes the desire to FIX overrides good sense. Been there, DONE THAT.

Jim

Quick Reply: Leaking C6