Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Bench Vise recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 02:22 AM
200000+F150
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bench Vise recommendations

As mentioned in the compressor thread, I'm expanding my little home business, and trying to get my shop (single car garage) set up on a budget. I've built a good sturdy workbench and now I need a vise for it. I can't spend a huge amount, but there's no use in getting something that the jaws will bust on either, so any recommendations? I only need about a 5"-6" max opening, will need some non-marring jaws or inserts and may occasionally have to "lean on" some stuff with a cheater bar.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:05 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't had any of them fail, other than the threads inside, but my recommendation would be to look for them on auctions, if you are rural enough, there will be some on farm sales from time to time. My dad buys the cheapies, and the only failure he has had is the threaded shaft or nut inside strips out, but they last for a little while all the same. If you need something right away, it would serve for a while, and if you don't get carried away with it, it may last longer, but in the meantime can be looking for a better one used. A good vise pretty much will last forever... I have an old Craftsman, looks like it has been used for several decades, it was my uncle's...

Old 09-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I really hate to recommend this brand, but I have a Cummins Tool 5" vise, I paid something like $25 for it new, and it works. It's the only thing I have gotten from them that lasted more than a few days, and hold up to regular abuse. Plus, the nose sticks out further than most cheap vises, so the rear jaw sticks out further than the bench edge. Replaceable jaws, flat serrated jaws on one side, pipe jaws on the other. Not a bad deal, really.

Old 09-16-2006, 12:16 AM
fixnair
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Best vise made is Wilton. Can be pricy but is worth it in the long run. A 5" vise will cost somewhere around $250.00 new.If you can find a used one more power to you.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:32 AM
200000+F150
Elder User
I was thinking that I'd seen some Wiltons at Lowes considerably cheaper than that, but may have been mistaken. I'll look tomorrow, as I've got to go there for some wire and receptacles anyway. Thanks for the recommendations. There are some things that I don't mind getting the Chinese stuff at Harbor Freight, but a vise that I'll be torturing on a daily basis isn't one of them!

Old 09-16-2006, 01:53 AM
Bdox
Fleet Owner

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Look for used ones too. Many of the old timers were made of steel instead of the commonly available vises that are made of cast iron. If you only have one vise, bigger is better.

A tip on "soft jaws" is to find a magnetic sign. The kind that you see on cars and trucks. Cut pieces that fit the vise jaws. When you need them, just stick them in place. They work great and it is the easiest thing to install and remove. Just put them on the side of the vise when they are not needed.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:08 PM
oldgoat49
Elder User
We have Wiltons at work and they are some very fine vises, however most people can't justify their cost. Lowes makes a knockoff of Wiltons and I believe they also sell a Wiltons brand. Between them and checking at Sears on theirs and what the warranty is where I would look at. Every once in a while the company sells a vise at the surplus sales but you have to get there early.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:03 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Beware of the cheap Wilton vices at Home Depot and Lowes, they are cheap Chinese junk. I have had several and if you get rough with them, they will break right behind the outer jaw. For a decent 5" vice, figure on paying a minimum of $250.

Jeff

Old 09-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Fix
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the cheap Lowes Vice. I got the big one that swivels at the base and the head spins in the body. I Think it cost like $70 bucks. (this Would be the Wilton Knock off I think.)

It's not pretty, and it's not brand name, but I beat the crap out of this thing, and it hasn't broken yet. I threaded a whole bunch of 1inch steel pipe with it (With the manual dies) and I gave out long before the vise did.

I have also used it to bend all kinds of metal, with no complaints.
The jaws are removable so you can make non marring replacements.

The Flat "anvil" section on it isn't nearly hard enough, and marks up pretty easily, but I haven't managed to do any serious damage to it yet, and I hammer on it all the time
The jaws that come with it are very agressive and don't seem to let anything slip, but they mark up easily with a file, so they may not stay sharp forever.

I've had this vise for about a year and a half. It's still young, but I figure I already got my money back out of it.

Always buy the best tools you can afford, but until you can afford the best, use whatever you can get your hands on.

Old 09-16-2006, 10:17 PM
T18skyguy
Elder User
I was over at the army maintenance depot last week and noticed tht they use Wilton's. They have all kind of cool stuff like giant overhead cranes and real nice lifts.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:42 PM
afinepoint
Laughing Gas
After looking at the Kobalt and Wilton vises at Lowes I went with the Wilton 5" because of the 360° rotating head. Much like the large vise in our tool room here at work.

I only use a vise a few times a year so I figure even a $55.00 one should last me awhile. If I really up my useage and/or it breaks I'll go with something finer. With my limited use I can't justify $$$ on a vise. Besides I think it has a lifetime warranty although I didn't read the specifics.

Buy what fits your needs (and budget) but remember even the best tool will fail it you are "rough enough" with it. Just a fine point.

Reg

Last edited by afinepoint; 09-20-2006 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:18 PM
200000+F150
Elder User
I was looking at some of the ones at TSC today, can't remember the brand now, but they looked decent for the price. They had a 5" for $79, and a dual swivel that I really liked for $99. It also had pipe jaws below the regular ones which I liked. The second swivel was about a 2" piece of round bar stock. I feel that would be a lot stronger than the cast iron most are made of. I'll probably get it soon, but went over my budget on the other stuff I was getting there anyway, so it will have to wait another week. I just wish I could talk my dad out of the vise he has. It's only about a 6" opening, but is about 2 feet tall with a big flat spring that spreads the jaws. It was my grandfather's. He bought it used when my dad was a kid, and he's 75 this year. The thing is probably close to a hundred years old and still works perfectly other than the inside of the jaws getting smooth. I could probably cut new teeth into them and it would still be working when my grandkids are old. They definitely don't build stuff like they used to.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:30 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
I bought a crappy one from menards, Every time I crank on it, chuncks of "metal" fall out of it. I'll use it till she dies

Old 09-22-2006, 06:06 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wilton makes at least two different lines of vises- cheap ones and good ones. I have a big Craftsman that has taken a beating for 25 years.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:26 AM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive got one of those cummins big rotating head vises with the flat jaws and the pipe jaws, I've beat the crap out it and it's still a ticken.

Quick Reply: Bench Vise recommendations