1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How far did you go?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 10:33 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
You still have junkyards? they are getting as scarce as a NOS F1 front fender around here. Most are now auto salvage businesses. Vehicles not over 10 years old are immediately sent thru what used to be called a chop shop, the most salable pieces put into cubbyholes like a warehouse club all organized by part type and cataloged on a computer. The "bones" are crushed or shreaded and shipped overseas. You cannot even look at the vehicles lined up to meet the same fate as they are all hidden from view by a high solid fence. Buying a part there is like going to your local NAPA store: walk into a pristine room with guys behind counters and computers. Tell them what you want, he looks on the computer to see if they have that part "in stock", quote you a price and if you agree it soon appears, carried in from some hidden place. They swipe your credit card and hand you a neatly printed receipt.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:53 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
wow. I walk up, ask to take a "walk out back", he says ok, and away I go. I walk around looking at mostly Desotos, old Chevies, some F1's, and F100's, alot of 70's f150's/250's, the occasional newer car, and the rarer IH pickups of yore. I come out with a headlight assembly for an 88 tbird, we shoot the bull for a little while, I say how much, he says,"oh, about 5 bucks". I throw him an Abe, and away I go. Now go 30 miles south to the city's junkyards, and I get a kid who has to look up the part on a computer, and charges me a high price, and tax!!, of all things. I count my lucky stars that the local JY is still around. BTW, he's the one who originally had my F1, and where the Meteor is sitting for $350.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:08 AM
e william
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took a redeye from S.C. to Newport News Va., picked up at the airport by an old Tugboat captain, bought the truck and drove it 7 hours back home....what a great adventure!
Ed

Old 09-20-2006, 10:07 AM
55FordLover
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
El Paso, TX to (somewhere it started with a "D" word) - California....shipped to me for about $600 bucks....

Old 09-20-2006, 12:15 PM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
The internet has made such a difference in this hobby! The whole world is like a local flea market now. Used to be you scoured the classified in the different city newspapers at the library, or in Hemmings, traveled to swapmeets and climbed through overgrowth in the back of junkyards with wrenches in your pockets or spent Sundays riding up and down small country roads in hopes of finding a needed part or made do with whatever you could find. Now you just type a few words into a search engine and have your choice of parts in any condition you want to pay for.
I agree, what a difference. I scoured the flea markets and did Hershey plus many other swap meets for over 15 years. The week in October was referred to as "High Holy Hershey Week". AX, I did find a pair of NOS F-1 front fenders a few years back. Actually found two lefts at $250 each and traded one of the lefts for a right with Chuck of Chucks Trucks back when he was just starting his business. They are in good prime almost color ready to go on Willard. Tough to find a pair today.