1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Replacing Air Conditioner compressor ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 12:05 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,568 Likes on 1,426 Posts
Replacing Air Conditioner compressor ?

I lost the seal on my air conditioner compressor, so I am replacing the compressor the receiver/dryer and the orifice filter. I have access to an evacuator and the hose to recharge the system. What I don't know is how much oil to install and how much refrigerant it will take. I have a 4 oz can of oil and four 12 oz cans on 134a refrigerant.

What do you think do I have enough refrigerant and oil?

Thanks
Tim in Chelan

Old 09-08-2006, 08:14 AM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the shop manual:

SPECIFICATIONS

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=1><CAPTION>REFRIGERANT SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Vehicle</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Capacity</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>F-150, F-250, F-350 and Bronco</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>1124 ml (38 oz.)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=1><CAPTION>REFRIGERANT SPECIFICATION</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Type</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Specification</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Part No.</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>Refrigerant R-134a</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>WSH-M17B19-A or equivalent</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>Motorcraft YN-11</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>Refrigerant Oil YN-12B</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>WSH-M1C231-B or equivalent</TD><TD vAlign=top align=left>1F2AZ-19577-AA Motorcraft YN-12B or equivalent</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 border=1><CAPTION>TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Description</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Nm</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Lb-Ft</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Lb-In</TH></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>Pressure Cut-Off Switch</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>7-13</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>—</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>62-115</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>Refrigerant Containment Switch</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>7-13</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>—</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>62-115</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>A/C Manifold and Tube Attaching Bolt</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>18-23</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>13-17</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>—</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Refrigerant Oil Addition

The FS-10 A/C compressor (19703) uses a unique high-quality refrigerant oil (F2AZ-19577-AC), Motorcraft Part Number YN-12B or an equivalent refrigerant oil meeting Ford specification WSH-M1C231-B. It is extremely important that only the specified type and quantity of refrigerant oil be used in the FS-10 A/C compressor. If there is a surplus of oil in the system, it will circulate with the refrigerant, reducing the cooling capacity of the system. Using too little oil or oil not meeting the Ford specification will result in poor lubrication of the A/C compressor.

When replacing a component of the refrigerant system, the procedures in this section must be followed to ensure that the total oil charge in the system is correct after the new part is installed.

When the A/C compressor is operated, oil gradually leaves the A/C compressor and is circulated through the system with the refrigerant. Eventually, a balanced condition is reached in which a certain amount of oil is retained in the A/C compressor and a certain amount is continually circulated. If a component of the system is removed after the system has been operated, some oil will go with it. To maintain the original total oil charge, add oil as required to the new replacement part.

The procedures for replacing oil are as follows: During A/C Compressor Replacement

NOTE: The suction accumulator/drier (19C836) and orifice tube should also be replaced when the A/C compressor is replaced.

A new service replacement FS-10 A/C compressor contains no refrigerant oil. Prior to installing the replacement A/C compressor, drain the refrigerant oil from the removed A/C compressor into a calibrated container. The shaft should be rotated about six to eight revolutions while pouring the oil from the ports. This effectively empties the A/C compressor of oil.
  1. Obtain a clean container that can also be used as a measuring device.
  1. Place the disc and hub assembly on the compressor shaft so the shaft can be rotated.
    • If the amount of oil drained from the old A/C compressor was between 85 and 142 ml (3 and 5 oz.), pour the same amount plus one ounce of clean Motorcraft YN-12B refrigerant oil into the new A/C compressor.
    • If the amount of oil that was removed from the old A/C compressor is greater than 142 ml (5 oz.), pour 142 ml (5 oz.) of clean Motorcraft YN-12B refrigerant oil into the new A/C compressor.
    • If the amount of refrigerant oil that was removed from the old A/C compressor is less than 85 ml (3 oz.), pour 85 ml (3 oz.) of clean Motorcraft YN-12B refrigerant oil into the new A/C compressor.
R-134a Refrigerant Oil

CAUTION: Do not add R-12 refrigerant oil YN-9 to an R-134a system. Also, do not add R-134a refrigerant YN-12B to an R-12 system. These two refrigerant oils are not compatible and mixing the two could result in A/C system damage.

The refrigerant oil used in an R-134a refrigerant system is a polyalkylene glycol (PAG) oil meeting Ford specification WSH-M1C231-B or equivalent. This type of refrigerant oil, Motorcraft YN-12B, was made especially for R-134a A/C systems and is not suitable for use in R-12 systems. Never use an R-134a refrigerant oil in an R-12 system.

R-12 systems require the use of a mineral-based refrigerant oil with special additives. This refrigerant oil is known as YN-9. This refrigerant oil was developed for use in R-12 systems only and is not suitable for use in R-134a A/C systems. During Component Replacement

When replacing other components of the air conditioning system, measured quantities of the specified refrigerant oil should be added to the component to ensure that the total oil charge in the system is correct before the system is operated.

Clean refrigerant oil should be poured directly into the replacement components as follows:
  • A/C evaporator core (19860) (19860): add 90 ml (3 oz.).
  • A/C condenser core (19712) (19712): add 30 ml (1 oz.).
  • Accumulator: drain oil from removed suction accumulator/drier. Add same amount plus 60 ml (2 oz.) of clean refrigerant oil to new accumulator.
Other Refrigerant System Components

If any other component such as an A/C evaporator core orifice (19D990) or a hose is replaced, 59 ml (2 oz) additional refrigerant oil is necessary unless a hose bursts with a fully charged system. Then, the addition of refrigerant oil will be necessary with the amount to be determined by the technician. The suction accumulator/drier should also be replaced under these circumstances.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:41 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
total system oil capacity is 7 oz and refrigerant is 33oz. for the oil you should drain the oil from the compressor and receiver/drier in measured cup then add that amount plus 1 or 2 ounces. so say you drain 3 ounces total from the 2 items i would put 4 or 5 ounces back in. unless you completely flush the system with a/c flush solvent (i recommend doing this) then you add the whole 7 ounces.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:19 PM
AnnesLimo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just replaced my FS10 in the Excursion... Anyone know if it's the same amount with the rear air?

Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 AM
DaveTV
Junior User
Does it matter which hole on the compressor the oil is poured into..?

Old 07-26-2016, 12:12 AM
mcali2
Posting Guru
This is an old thread but worth revisiting due to good info. I had to remove part of my system to put IC on the truck. Does the Oil in the system evaporate or ???? I would think not but who knows. I'm replacing the dryer, seals and orifice, Do I need to replace oil too? I am getting the compressor to remove air and moisture and the gauges.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:26 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 518 Likes on 252 Posts
I have never changed the oil unless the compressor was replaced. You would be hard pressed to change all the oil, as it is threw the whole system. Just pull the vacuum, check for leaks, and you should be good to go.