Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 Won't Start - Any suggestions

Truck Specs:
1997 F-350
PS Diesel
Auto tranny
98K miles
i have owned for 3 months

Ran fine yesterday, this morning would not start. Weather cooled down to about 80 degrees, ligh mist of rain last night, with high humidity. I don't think that would have drained the batteries, but I guess thats were I plan to start this afternoon.
This is what she does:
Turned key on, glow plug "wait to start" light does not come on. Interior lights are very bright when door is open, they dim when key is turned on. A clicking sound is coming from the drivers side fender area............

Luckily, I haven't sold my dodge cummins yet, needed her this morning to get to work.................I like the Ford cab and body, but guess I better keep my cummins for times like these

thanks in advance for any suggestions

Old 09-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the engine spinning with the starter as fast as it used to?
The batteries and starter need to be in top shape to start.

The clicking sound should be the glow plug relay unless it's clicking with the ignition key, then it would be the starter relay on the fender.

Does the tach move while cranking?

Old 09-05-2006, 10:30 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so does it not start or not crank???? if its not cranking did you try to jump it? if its not starting does the tach move while cranking?

Last edited by tjbeggs; 09-05-2006 at 10:31 AM. Reason: error
Old 09-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Riata_Ag
Senior User
oops........my bad...........I left out crucial info

It will not crank.....engine will not turn over...........

It acts like the batteries are nearly dead....................

I just can't imagine them going bad overnight..........I have been driving the truck everyday, including 3-4 hours on Monday..........

My worry is that the damp, humid weather has temporarily "shorted-out" something electrical............that when the weather gets hot and dry again it will start...................not sure about this just my thinking

I didn't have time to try to jump it off............I usually run a little late and have to go.............it wouldn't turn over, so I grabbed my bags and jumped inot my other truck........2005 Dodge 3500 cummins 6spd 4x4........off I went

i am going to put some new batteries in it tonight, and check the alternator.........given the weather conditions, and the clicking noise that was coming from the the parking brake, firewall, drivers side inner fender are.........I was wondering if the moisture might be causig the malfunction?

While I am at this I also have another question:
The front seal on the A/c comp. is leaking oil, and prob. some freon.......it has been leaking for about 2 months, the a/c still works good and is cold. On powerstroke.com they show the seals but it says no longer available, do you guys know were is the best place to get these seals, or will I need to repalce the compressor? It is my preference not to use the additive that claims seal conditioner/stop leak..........

Thanks again for your time
sk

Old 09-05-2006, 11:53 AM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
I would have to say there is a short somewhere. It is an auto? Is there some type of safty feature like on the manuals that wont power the starter untill the clutch petal is pressed? I bet it is a simple fix, but good luck.

As far as you a/c, I need to replace my entire compresser and got a quote from ford and I think they are about $225. I would have to say just buy the new compresser.

Last edited by ForemanES; 09-05-2006 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:38 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try to jump it before you get new batteries. then if it does start take it to an autozone or other store and have them test the batteries to know for sure if you need new ones. if it still won't start check the connections at the starter for rust or looseness.

for the a/c you will need a new compressor. generally a replacement seal will leak and often times is an internal issue with the compressor itself that makes the seal leak.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:39 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Riata_Ag
Turned key on, glow plug "wait to start" light does not come on. Interior lights are very bright when door is open, they dim when key is turned on.

check fuse #22 under the hood. is it blown?

if so look on the drivers side of the fuel bowl kinda hard to see. there is two wires. unplug the top one. replace 30 amp maxi fuse and clean your terminals and cables. should run...

dodge cummins

have a gooood day!!!!!