Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-04-2006, 06:42 PM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lye

Where do you buy lye at? Someone here in Alabama told me it is illegal to sell it b/c they use it to make crystal meth.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:05 PM

fabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputationfabmandelux has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndysFords
Where do you buy lye at? Someone here in Alabama told me it is illegal to sell it b/c they use it to make crystal meth.
I buy mine from Cascade Columbia Dist, in Portland Oregon.

FABMANDELUX.

RIP Steve Price. A true friend and a tireless supporter of FTE
Old 09-04-2006, 08:51 PM
Elder User

bczolone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bczolone is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lye is NaOH (sodium hydroxide) I bought small amounts at Ace Hardware (1 case) of Red Devil Brand...lately I bought some huge containers through a chemical supply company ( I teach chemistry) anyways just make sure its is 100% NaOH...and no its not used to make meth...at least not here in CA and we have the distinction of being the meth capital of the U.S.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Senior User

phatbulldog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Actually 3 of the things we use could be used to make crystal meth. Methanol used to extract Psuedoephedrine. Lye to bring the Ph up, and PH strips to test it. Never made it just learned about it, my ex-stepmom spends her alimony checks on it. She used it so much she has a defibulater now adays. Plus it turned my cusin into trash.
1997 f-250 cc 4x4. 37" toyo muds on 22's. Beans Stage 2 injectors. Ranch Hand front & rear bumpers and tool box. Tymar intake, TS 6 position chip, HPX and 5" stacks 17* HPOP. Head Studs. 7.3 Intercooler. Big Beans turbo. Rebuilt motor 1/18/2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/Phatbulldog
Old 09-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Elder User

mikeyswood is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Sodium Hydroxide is also calles caustic. Anywhere that sells industrial cleaning supplies will have it. 100% will be small pellets and the strongest liquid will be 50%. Red Devil will be sodium Hydroxide and Liquid Plumr will Potassium Hydroxide.

I work at a brewery, so NaOH is readily available.

Mike
Old 09-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Senior User

Dave Barbieri is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lowes is a great source for lye. Go back to the plumbing area and look for the drain openers/cleaners. I use Roebic brand Crystal Drain Opener. It comes in 2# plastic jars, and costs around $7.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:07 PM
Posting Guru

AndysFords is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bczolone
Lye is NaOH (sodium hydroxide) I bought small amounts at Ace Hardware (1 case) of Red Devil Brand...lately I bought some huge containers through a chemical supply company ( I teach chemistry) anyways just make sure its is 100% NaOH...and no its not used to make meth...at least not here in CA and we have the distinction of being the meth capital of the U.S.
I believe you are wrong, Lonoke Arkansas is the meth capital of the world and it may be different there but here it is used to make meth.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:14 PM
Postmaster

furball69 has a very good reputation on FTE.furball69 has a very good reputation on FTE.furball69 has a very good reputation on FTE.
If it is a known common drug ingredient, they may be restricting the sale of it, like some things here, that contain psuedoephedrine, etc..

It has many names, as mentioned. the 50#, food grade bags I've seen are labelled 'caustic soda beads' If you need large quantities, try looking for a chemical supplier that you can get the 50# bags from. Start with industrial chemical supply and Wholesale cleaners.

I can't outrun bullets, but I might outrun an *alien* with an empty gun.

My fuel economy calculators
Old 09-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Posting Guru

kennedyford is starting off with a positive reputation.
50 lb is $27.oo Chemical brothers
Old 09-10-2006, 03:08 PM