Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Lye (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/524134-lye.html)

AndysFords 09-04-2006 05:42 PM

Lye

Where do you buy lye at? Someone here in Alabama told me it is illegal to sell it b/c they use it to make crystal meth.

fabmandelux 09-04-2006 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by AndysFords
Where do you buy lye at? Someone here in Alabama told me it is illegal to sell it b/c they use it to make crystal meth.

I buy mine from Cascade Columbia Dist, in Portland Oregon.

FABMANDELUX. :-X25 :-fire

bczolone 09-04-2006 07:51 PM

Lye is NaOH (sodium hydroxide) I bought small amounts at Ace Hardware (1 case) of Red Devil Brand...lately I bought some huge containers through a chemical supply company ( I teach chemistry) anyways just make sure its is 100% NaOH...and no its not used to make meth...at least not here in CA and we have the distinction of being the meth capital of the U.S.:)

phatbulldog 09-04-2006 08:17 PM

Actually 3 of the things we use could be used to make crystal meth. Methanol used to extract Psuedoephedrine. Lye to bring the Ph up, and PH strips to test it. Never made it just learned about it, my ex-stepmom spends her alimony checks on it. She used it so much she has a defibulater now adays. Plus it turned my cusin into trash.

mikeyswood 09-04-2006 08:37 PM

Sodium Hydroxide is also calles caustic. Anywhere that sells industrial cleaning supplies will have it. 100% will be small pellets and the strongest liquid will be 50%. Red Devil will be sodium Hydroxide and Liquid Plumr will Potassium Hydroxide.

I work at a brewery, so NaOH is readily available.

Mike

Dave Barbieri 09-04-2006 09:45 PM

Lowes is a great source for lye. Go back to the plumbing area and look for the drain openers/cleaners. I use Roebic brand Crystal Drain Opener. It comes in 2# plastic jars, and costs around $7.

AndysFords 09-07-2006 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by bczolone
Lye is NaOH (sodium hydroxide) I bought small amounts at Ace Hardware (1 case) of Red Devil Brand...lately I bought some huge containers through a chemical supply company ( I teach chemistry) anyways just make sure its is 100% NaOH...and no its not used to make meth...at least not here in CA and we have the distinction of being the meth capital of the U.S.:)

I believe you are wrong, Lonoke Arkansas is the meth capital of the world and it may be different there but here it is used to make meth.

furball69 09-09-2006 04:14 PM

If it is a known common drug ingredient, they may be restricting the sale of it, like some things here, that contain psuedoephedrine, etc..

It has many names, as mentioned. the 50#, food grade bags I've seen are labelled 'caustic soda beads' If you need large quantities, try looking for a chemical supplier that you can get the 50# bags from. Start with industrial chemical supply and Wholesale cleaners.

kennedyford 09-10-2006 02:08 PM

50 lb is $27.oo Chemical brothers