Sponsored by:

manual shifting a c6

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 02:54 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
manual shifting a c6

Does it hurt a tranny to manualy shift it? Ive been locking my bronco out of 3rd when I'm in town because of the clunking in my t case when it shifts. I dont like it starting in 2nd, so I had been putting it in 1st then 2nd and 3rd if I need it. Does this hurt the tranny at all, I wouldnt think so but i just wanted to check.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:04 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Doesn't hurt a thing, and infact the tranny is stronger in first when you drop it into manual first gear because that engages the low/reverse clutch instead of relying on the sprag.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:24 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
thats how i drove my C6 in my white truck for a LONG time! i didnt like the shift points and wanted to be able to wid out a lil further so i always drove it like a stick, just no pedals. everything seemed fine to me

-cutts-

Old 08-11-2006, 08:47 PM
davidsca
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no problemo, thats how I'm driving mine as we speak. I even got lucky, cuz the rebuilt tranny I installed to replace the old one has a high stall torque converter. Loads of fun waiting till 3000 rpm to shift from 1st to 2nd and barking the tires. The teeneyboppers in the v-tecs don't expect that at all from a lifted 4x4.
Seriously, its no problem at all

Dave S
1980 F-150 Flareside 4x4

Old 08-11-2006, 10:19 PM
Ford150/428/dud
Senior User
SO its perfectly ok to shift my c6 from 1, 2 and into drive when its moving down the road.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:20 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thats was I'm hearing, from here and others.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Ford150/428/dud
Senior User
Thats new to me i thought you had to have a shift kit to shift an auto trans like that. I learned something new today.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:23 AM
jpjahn
Posting Guru
This is good info guys.. I didn't like where my c6 was shifting either, plus with my 35's and stock gearing, automatically shifting just wasn't working out. I had been asking another guy about this same question a little while back. Fortunately he saw this thread and emailed it to me.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Barnacle Bill
Freshman User
When you hear about a 'shift kit' it refers to a kit of parts that replace the factory transmission valve springs in the shift control mechanism. Frequently a shift kit can be employeed to change the amount of torque that causes the transmission to shift. This is good for aftermarket cams that move the power curve from the factory range.

It's still an auto trans just shifts at different times. You might want to find a shift kit that is set up for the points where you are currently doing your manual shifting. Then you get your auto trans back.

Old 08-15-2006, 04:16 PM
ramboss429
Posting Guru
Go ahead an shift away all you want on the C6, won't hurt 'em one bit like everyone else has said.

Old 08-15-2006, 04:37 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill
When you hear about a 'shift kit' it refers to a kit of parts that replace the factory transmission valve springs in the shift control mechanism. Frequently a shift kit can be employeed to change the amount of torque that causes the transmission to shift. This is good for aftermarket cams that move the power curve from the factory range.

It's still an auto trans just shifts at different times. You might want to find a shift kit that is set up for the points where you are currently doing your manual shifting. Then you get your auto trans back.
Acually torque has nothing to do with the shift points in an automatic. Its RPM, throttle position and vacumn that is used to decide shift points. A shift kit does a couple things, first it takes out the accumalators that are basically a shock absorber for the clutches slowing down and softening the shifts so grandma doesn't get upset. taking them out makes the clutches engage faster and harder. Second it increases the size of the holes through the seperator plate further speeding up the shift or actually the apply of the next clutch, and it also usually increases the line preasure which will cause the shift points to be delayed, but thats basically how the vacumn modulator works, it increases the the line preasure that the govenor preasure has to over come in order to force the shift
Shift points can be adjusted by adjusting the vacumn pod or modulator to increase the line preasure although bigger cams tend to do this as they reduce teh vacumn the engine puts out thus making the tranny think it's under more power. you can also adjust it by changing the governer springs to heavier springs or reducing the wieght of the of the flyweights of the governer itself.

Old 08-11-2022, 01:02 PM
spencer151
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by fishmanndotcom
thats how i drove my C6 in my white truck for a LONG time! i didnt like the shift points and wanted to be able to wid out a lil further so i always drove it like a stick, just no pedals. everything seemed fine to me

-cutts-
Hello, I know this reply is to a very old thread but hopefully you are still around. I have a 82 Bronco with 302 and C6 trans that starts in 2nd. I have started learning to start the truck in D but manually shift to 1st with the column shifter. Basically I am trying to do what you were doing temporarily. My bronco is starting in 2nd gear and not shifting. Is seems to down shift as it should. I am testing all of this right now. I've been told the C6 is a 3 speed but I can't figure out where 3rd gear is on the column as I have PRND12. So can you maybe tell me how this manual shift is done so I can learn it properly and not damage anything. Thanks so much. (also, I have purchased a new modulator, have not adjusted the pin, do have vacuum).

Old 08-12-2022, 05:54 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
"D" on your shifter will be third gear.
but it should be PRND21

Old 08-13-2022, 09:12 AM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by spencer151
.... So can you maybe tell me how this manual shift is done so I can learn it properly and not damage anything....
Nothing to it. Just start with the shifter in "1", move it to "2" when you want to upshift and move it to "D" when you're ready for 3rd gear.

Down shifting is much the same, but you do need to be a little careful not to be going too fast as you downshift. Like don't hit 1st at 60 mph! Just take it easy on downshifts until you get a good feel for it. But basically if you wouldn't go that fast in that gear as you are accelerating then don't downshift to that gear at that speed.

On upshifts it isn't a bad idea to lift off the throttle a bit as you are shifting. Not lifting will make the shifts a little harsher on both the tranny and the passengers.

Old 08-15-2022, 07:17 AM
spencer151
3rd Gear
Thumbs up

Hello and thanks tjc and nothing special! You are correct, my column is PRND21. I'll be practicing this. Seems like it downshifts on its own which is weird but for sure I'll have to get to know the sound of the engine. I've only drove stick shifts until this bronco. thanks also for the throttle info. I assumed I should let off the gas when shifting to another gear. You all are a big help as I do not want to damage anything!

Quick Reply: manual shifting a c6