Another Bad at the launch ramp.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 07:58 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 792 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by bdrummonds
Check out the site www.micom.net/oops/ it is mostly aircraft accident pics but there is one titled DamnGoodTrailerHitch that takes the cake.
Lot's of good ones there!

Old 10-12-2006, 10:28 AM
Hwyman3
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was retreving my boat one day (21' 4 Winns Cuddy) with my old F-150 (91 302). Guy next to me was trying to retreive his 25' sailboat with a Chevy Celebrety Wagon. All he managed to do was burn all the tread off his front wheels. I offered to help him, hooked the sailboat to my old truck and in no time, the ramp was once again free. To borrow a line from Enterprise, sometimes having the right vehicle makes all the difference.

Old 10-13-2006, 03:55 PM
geeride
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This story didn't happen at a boat ramp but it sure is good. My first boss worked at a boat dealership prior to starting his business. A customer came into the dealership claiming he could not launch the boat, that it was stuck to the trailer. So they ran the straps around it from the overhead lift and lifted the boat up a few feet. Sure enough the trailer came with it. They were all standing around scratching their heads when all of a sudden the trailer lets go and drops to floor! Turns out the when the guy took his brand new boat home he decided that there wasn't enough screws holding the runners on the trailer. He used screws that were too long and screwed the boat to the trailer.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Chevy Convert
Freshman User
Talking

I run a small mobile marine repair company, and we have taken to hanging out at the boat ramps when we have nothing better to do. Gets us some business, as well as being entertaining. Just yesterday we got there in time to see a Tow truck sliding backwards trying in vain to pull a stuck dodge ram and a 26ft bayliner out of the water. Two problems, 1. the ramp has a ton of silt that you have to cross before getting to the water, so even a 4x4 will be trying to get traction on sand, and second, the guy had not put the little bitty plug in the back of his boat, thankfully he got it back on the trailer before it sank more than about 2 ft. So....the poor tow truck was trying in vain to pull a 5000lbs dodge, a 7000lbs boat, and about 1400 gallons of water up the ramp.........He could not get any traction and smoked his tires a few times, before trying his recovery winch, and that only pulled the tow truck back down the ramp, even with his tires locked. Not to be smug, but I made a joke about my new f-250 being able to do it, and the tow truck driver got mad. opps. Had to put my truck where my mouth was. Sure enough, unhooked the tow truck, linked up with my diesel in low range 4 wd, and for about 3 seconds I though I was gonna look like a fool, but the combination started moving, and we had him up on the flat ground in no time. Took over an Hour to drain all the water out of the boat. I wish I had took pictures, because everyone said they thought the ford TV spot was BS, until they saw what mine did.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:19 PM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

A Buddy of mine has a cattle operation. Told him years ago he could do some little tricks to Kick up the HP etc. His comment was: "Why, Aint hooked to any thing that strained this truck yet" and its bone stock. However he did strip out both front hubs one day when he was pulling about 12,000 pounds of rolled hay out of a tight and the truck started to bounce a bit, The front tires kinda raised up, spun and hit the ground hard. The combo of weight, traction etc stripped them hubs right out.
Great power in them PSD's.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:54 PM
Gunner15a
Elder User
When I was a kid I watched a guy at Lake Wilson Kansas back a brand new bass boat into the water without the plug in it. This was back in the late 70's early 80's before they were filled with stryofoam. Floated for about three seconds then went down like a depth charged U Boat. Took that guys truck with my Dad's GMC High Sierra tied together to get the thing pulled off the ramp. That boat must have weighed a TON full of water like that.

But, I learned a GOOD lesson that fine spring morning. Now I just hang out at boat ramps with a camcorder

Gunner15a

Old 10-27-2006, 11:30 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I remember getting stuck at a ramp. The rear wheels of our 2wd ranger went off the end of the concrete ramp, a rope got us unstuck, no biggie.

Is that a GM truck in the original post? I hope it is not a Blue oval product.
We have an image to up hold!