Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Senior User

garndog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Code P1670 and no start

2001 7.3 Powerstroke was running just fine when parked. Turns over but does not start. Trouble code retrieved was P1670 using a Diablo Programmer/Reader but an Actron reader failed to retrieve any trouble code. Either way the truck won't start with no obvious reason as to why.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Senior User

DavidT. is starting off with a positive reputation.
P1670 is EF Signal Not Detected. When my CPS was going bad, it threw that code along with P0344 which is the CPS circuit intermitten. Check your CPS, its common they go bad. When they go bad your truck won't start or runs rough/stalls.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Senior User

Is there a way to check the CPS without just replacing it?
Old 07-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Senior User

nodakford is starting off with a positive reputation.
DTC P1668 and P1670 indicates that a communication error has occurred between the PCM and the IDM.

Possible causes:

-- Open fuse

-- IDM relay

-- Open or shorted IDM enable circuit

-- Open/short in EF circuit

-- Open/short in FDCS circuit

-- IDM powering circuits

-- PCM

l Check for other codes.

l Key on, engine off.

l Perform KOEO On-Demand Self Test and retrieve Continuous DTCs.
If DTC P1298 is also present, REPLACE the IDM.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Senior User

changed the CPS no help.messed around with plugs, wires, fuel lines ect. then the truck started out of no where. I was excited to say the least.shut it off ,tried again,started after a few seconds.cranked a bit longer than normal. I let it run for about 15 minutes to charge the batteries a little. Shut her down waited a little bit while i took care of the tools,thought i was good to go.tried again nothing .checked codes again P0603 power train control moduel keep alive error.and P1670 electronic feedback signal not detected..cleared codes and the bitch started. drove it home about 20 miles with no trobles. shut it down at home, no start again.way confused.could it be the glow plug relay? need some ideas.
Old 07-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Senior User

Most of the troubleshooting for this code were wiring or power. Check the fuse, wireing and relay for the IDM. Are you getting alot of white smoke on start up. If not then gp problems could be ruled out. Measure the voltage at the relay when the key is in the start position. Should read battery voltage. Unplug the valve harness and check the resistance of each glow plug,4 large pins, 2 on each end. Resistance shoulde be less the 2 ohms. Anything more then that glow plug is bad. This will rule out gp problems. The P0603 code I think is not uncommon with a programmer or chip.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:21 PM
Senior User

OK,I dont know a lot about diesels yet so bare with me.is the fuse under the hood or in the cab for the IDM?and where is the IDM. no white smoke on start up.also where is the valve harness? is it on the drivers side above the valve cover?
Old 07-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Senior User

No white smoke on start, I would rule out a gp issue. the GP relay is under the engine cover behind the fuel filter bowl. It has a yellow wire on it. The valve cover harness are on the inside of the of both valve covers. The IDM fuse is #27 and it is under the hood. The relay is in the same spot 3rd from the top. If the vehicle is starting then I don't think the IDM fuse is blown. The relay maybe bad, it maybe sticking. The Injector Driver Module (IDM) provides an EF signal to the PCM which confirms that proper timing/duration of the PCM command was received by the IDM. The EF signal is also used to send diagnostic information about the IDM and fuel injector circuitry. This is why I think you may have a short somewhere or maybe a sticking relay.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Senior User

fixed it the IDM was the problem. went to the junk yard got one for 75 bucks and she fired right up. not the easiest part to get to. Thank you for all the help i realy appreciate it.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:07 AM
New User

chabmax is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have the same problem with my 2002 ford f350
i have a little problem to start, i may take a while to start but when i turn off, is the same dilema.
i already read all this messages but where is located the fuse box in my truck, i look under the hood and nothing maybe is located under the wheel
Old 10-18-2010, 02:07 AM