1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2005 E-350 Air Conditoner Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 08:15 AM
MarinesWife
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E-350 Air Conditoner Problems

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if you've gotten Ford to fix it?

The air conditioner works fine as long as we're moving (and getting the RPM's up). When we are in stop and go traffic or just sitting and idling for more than a few minutes, the A/C stops blowing cold air. It gets warmer and warmer until it's just as hot as the outside (90 degrees or more!).

We took the van into the dealership and we were told that this is a problem that Ford knows about and when they have a solution there will be a recall.

We called Ford ourselves and basically got the run around..."this will be covered by warranty when we can fix it."

Has anyone actually gotten it fixed OR received a refund or gotten a new vehicle or something??

We're in stop and go traffic a lot and I am NOT looking forward to more sweating days inside my van.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:43 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

See you on the boards. ….

Old 07-06-2006, 08:29 AM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That means that Ford doens't know why there is a problem It's probably just a matter of needing more air to flow across the radiator and condesor coils. That's why it works while moving but not in traffic. Also the compressor runs at a much lower RPM sitting at idle in traffic, so it's not compressing the refrigerant a efficiently. It may as simple a fix as a more powerful fan, or it may be as drastic as changing the body kit to allow for more air flow through the engine bay to help dissipate the engine's heat.

FWIW, just because a manufacturer knows there is a problem doesn't mean they have a solution. Sure the van is a year old, but if the engineers are still working it out then it could be another year before it's resolved.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Dannym
More Turbo
Well if it's radiator airflow, the 18" electric fan off a Lincoln Mark VIII does a bangup job.

There's something called a Variable Orifice Valve that is supposed to help the cooling system I believe esp at low rpms. It would require opening up the cooling system and I don't know if it's appropriate or not for your setup.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:38 PM
al_e._gator
Senior User
I don't have this problem in my 2004 so I don't see what would be different on your 2005. Yes, my AC isn't as cold when I'm stopped as it is when I'm moving but it doesn't get uncomfortably hot. I live in Georgia and frequently get caught in giant Atlanta parking lots (interstates 75, 85 or 20 at a dead stop) during the summer months and haven't been uncomfortable yet.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:38 PM
Desert-Rat
Senior User
No problems here. Were in California, Not always hot here but we have had our 102F weather off and on. I own a 2004 E350 15 pass, and although it does not blow as cold while in stop and go traffic, it does not blow hot either... I think Ford is full of Shizat. I say go down to the dealer and test drive another 2005, even if it is used, if you can find one. see if it does the same thing?

Old 07-13-2006, 08:38 PM
kips
Junior User
marineswife,
Yeesss! ,we have the same issue, went round and round with 3 diff dealers regarding this issue, finally gave up when warranty expired. Also had a whistling noise at high speed with max/recirc on, the recirc door actuator was weak and the wind was pushing it open, had it replaced and still have to go to norm on the frwy when heavy headwind or 75mph+
regarding the ac no/cool low/cool at standstill, I think it is a design defect and we found no resolution yet. I was planning on the fan solution this summer if the wifes toes were still too hot, and the way the weather is warming up in dallas it may be soon,102f today!
regards, kips

Old 07-15-2006, 10:20 PM
racerman_27410
Junior User
there is a revised cooling fan clutch available to fix this problem..... i do a lot of city driving and had the same problem on my 2004 E-350 6.0L right up to the point where my compressor failed.

this is the TSB ford put out ... i found it on dieselman's site.

My local SA and the mechanic had never heard of this TSB but replaced the fan clutch anyway with the updated p/n while they had the van to install the new compressor. The mechanic said Ford was completely unrealistic about how long it should take to pull the front end off the van to access/ replace the fan clutch so i would highly recommend geting this update before your warranty runs out.

04-06 Econoline Poor A/C Cooling/Compressor Failure:
Failure of the A/C compressor may be due to high side system pressures resulting from insufficient air flow across the condenser at idle and low speeds. A revised cooling fan clutch is available to improve air flow and prevent compressor failure. P/N 4C3Z-8A616-SA.
TSB #05-19-3.

Apres repair there is a lot more fan noise at idle and when first taking off but there is continuous cold air at all times and that's what i was after.

Frank

Last edited by racerman_27410; 07-15-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 06:51 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
I was thinking it was a High Head problem and going out on High Head. I was going to suggest to let a little R134a out, it would not be as efferent but might keep it from going out on High Head.

I would say get that fan clutch replaced ASAP.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:29 PM
kips
Junior User
racerman, does this tsb 05-19-03 only apply to 6.0 e350 or all e350 units, regardless of engine? I suppose the dealer could answer that question. kips

Old 07-17-2006, 08:11 PM
racerman_27410
Junior User
I do not know about that.... i guess you'll have to ask your local dealer/ service advisor.

It seems to me if they are/were having A/C problems with both gassers and diesels why should they fix/update only the diesels?

Frank

Originally Posted by kips
racerman, does this tsb 05-19-03 only apply to 6.0 e350 or all e350 units, regardless of engine? I suppose the dealer could answer that question. kips

Last edited by racerman_27410; 07-17-2006 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:26 AM
Fordcr
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does the TBS cover the 5.4s? the 2004s?

thanks
Chris

Old 08-01-2006, 11:40 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 92 Likes on 87 Posts
Electric fans increase the AC out put, the clutch fan isn't very productive, looking to put some louvers in my fenders for speeding the air out, maybe a hood scoop setup cowl induction style. Increase the air in, by allowing it to pass through and out faster, vans are more closed in than regular truck's or car's the engine head radiates back into the front when not moving, nowhere else for it to go. I want a bodylift one day, for an air gap, and room to work on the engine.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Desert-Rat
Senior User
you would be surprised how much of a difference an upgraded clutch fan can be. I upgraded the one in my suburban and now I can place a towel in front of my grille and the suction will hold it there. I am all for hood scoops and fender cowls etc... I'm just not sure how that will improve air flow through the condensor while at a stop for long periods?

Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 92 Likes on 87 Posts
Stockengine driven fan is just not enough, I spent a fortune on one in a vehicle for reason of heating up at idle, AC becoming warmer, not enough effect, I prefer electric fans. The venting allows the air to flow even standing still, they improve the air when moving the most, but sitting still, you'll feel it exiting through them. It's not just the condensor and radiator heat that's needed to exit, but the engine heat itself, it's what starts to drive the temps up while sitting still because it can't exit from under the vehicle.

Quick Reply: 2005 E-350 Air Conditoner Problems