Steady bearing 68$ plus 100.80$ labour
outer bearings 95$
inner bearings 139$
wheel seal 62$
Spindle bearing kit 119$
front brake pads 120$
machine rotors 84$

Total....ONE PISSED OFF WIFE!

I will definetely get a second opinion on this.....I mean....they are basically rebuilding my entire front end.

I am not happy!

Yukonsly

Old 06-29-2006, 01:59 PM
pud
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I worked with a woman from whitehorse over the winter in Fort St. John B.C.. Shes a trucker, nuff said. As far as your truck goes, Ive spent about $4500 repairing mine since I bought it in october. 4 starters (only paid for one), an alternator, a belt, PS hose;.... tie rods, glow plugs, rebuilt front driveshaft twice (only paid for the once) plus labour between $50 an hour to $100 hour.

Some of those prices they quoted you seem steep to me, others I just have no clue. I cant see why 4 front brake pads should cost $120 even with labour, and at Canadian Tire or a wrecker you should be able to find new or newer used rotors for $90-ish. I would definately go get 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and so on opinions and quotes untill I ran outta shops in town. Then compare quotes and if the majority said the part needs fixing I would have it fixed at the cheapest shop, even if I had to take my truck from shop to shop. Pull out your stack of quotes while youre in there and see if your preference of shop will match the price of a cheaper one (if they were more expensive). Good luck

Old 06-29-2006, 02:09 PM
Kenworth
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Repairing vehicals here isn't cheap the the south of the boarder guys don't realize how easy they have it their auto parts are frigging dirt cheap compared to what we pay here in Canada.

When I changed the lift pump on my 95 F-450 it costs me 350 dollars the pump itself was 190 something dollars.

Having a 4x4 isn't cheap its like a boat its always sucking money out of your wallet. Having 4wheeldrive is pretty much a must if you live in a rural area where you see snow. My truck is 2wd I do get stuck but its the price I pay to have a 1.5 ton OBS truck.

I imagine things are a little more expensive because you are in the Northern Part of Canada. Here on the West Coast of B.C. where I'am at its not so bad but still hurts when you have to pay 150 dollars for a part when down in the states for the same part its 75 dollars.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:11 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what kind of problems are ya having?

Old 06-29-2006, 11:46 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
dang 655 to do diff bearings i regeared the rear end of mine and it took me less than 2 hours and i had to make shim changes, with bearing changes its strait across no shim changes. dang its spendy up there.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:12 AM
yukonsly
Senior User
I am bringing my truck to another shop. I will get at least a second opinion if not a 3rd before I sink about 1900$ in my trucks....that's for damn sure!

Problems....went in for a vibration on the driveshaft around the hanger (steady) bearing.....they found that the front diff seal was leaking kinda bad and even after re-torquing the nut there was still some play. Having changed my hubs this spring...they said one wheel was full of water and I should chage the bearings....things get expensive from there. Whaty I don't get is that that front diff seal has already been changed in Jan....less than 6k miles ago....can it really go that bad so quick?

Breaks were almost new in January too...so I'm not convinced of that either....let's just say I'm not happy about their diagnostics.....oh well...it's gonna get parked for awhile...I don't have the cash right now....SUCKS A$$!!!

Later,

Yukonsly

Old 06-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Cuda_jim
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yukonsly, I feel for you. I hope this site can help. You could darn near get a whole front axle for 1900$.

Originally Posted by yukonsly
Q: Problems....went in for a vibration on the driveshaft around the hanger (steady) bearing.....

A: I'd bet the constant velocity join is bad and not the pinion nut loose!

Q: they found that the front diff seal was leaking kinda bad and even after re-torquing the nut there was still some play.

You can not tighten the pinion nut to solve this problem. If that is done the pinion bearings will go bad for sure.

Q: Having changed my hubs this spring...they said one wheel was full of water and I should chage the bearings....things get expensive from there.

A: Did you see the water in the hub? If so, it would only need those bearings, there is a possiblity thay are ok.

Q:Whaty I don't get is that that front diff seal has already been changed in Jan....less than 6k miles ago....can it really go that bad so quick?

A: Yep, If it was installed wrong or the pinion flange was worn to bad to begin with.

Q:Breaks were almost new in January too...so I'm not convinced of that either....let's just say I'm not happy about their diagnostics....

A:You are right on track with their Diagnostic skills. I doubt your brakes are shot after 6k miles, unless they were not done correctly either!

Old 06-30-2006, 03:22 PM
Brians97F250Crew
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
man ... $1900 ... for that money you probably can have a total new one built and shipped to you

Old 06-30-2006, 04:57 PM
pud
Posting Guru
you could definately call a wrecker and have it shipped to you for that much

Old 07-05-2006, 01:03 PM
yukonsly
Senior User
Brought it to another trusted mechanic.....and he confirmed the first one's diagnosis...minus the wheel bearings which he will check as he takes it all appart...GEEZZZZZZ....I'm dumping more money in this red monster again!....not so bad...but it comes at the ewxpense of mods ARGH!!!!!

Yukonsly

Old 07-05-2006, 04:51 PM
94_turbo
Senior User
sounds nuts to me also--but were not there to look at it--sheesh--