N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Salt Flats

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 12:24 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Salt Flats

Anyone interested in Speed Week at the Salt Flats?

Old 06-25-2006, 07:40 AM
Dave Severson
Posting Guru
I am!!! Eventually, time and $$$$ permitting, that's where my Ranchero is headed.... Now if I could find someone who knew something about aerodynamics to help with a bit of the front end redesign I could get back at it...... Any ideas?????

Old 06-25-2006, 10:23 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Dave, of all the Rancheros I like the shape and outline of yours the best. That being said, I also think it is the worst, aerodynamically speaking. It has the sharp outlines of a box upfront where most speedsters are tear drop or, at worst, egg shaped.

If I was building something for top speed runs only I would consider leaving the headlights as they are, but moving the radiator to the box and lowering the core support and grille, and the front of the hood - making the center of the front to the top of the cab into a wedge shape.

I would follow through by lowering the tailgate while leaving the quarterpanels near stock. This would leave you with a near stock outline, yet present the shape of a sports car to most of the wind.

But that is just my first idea on a subject I know very little about. And, frankly, anything over 100MPH would be wasted on me.

I was talking to a member from Santa Rosa who is building a race truck out of a 56. I understand that Speed Week is quite informal, with spectators allowed to circulate in the pits and ask questions - now that would be a good way of getting some practical knowledge and experience.

Apparently many of the participants and spectators camp nearby - so why not throw an air mattress and a cooler full of beer and sandwiches into the back of your truck and join us for a few days next August?

btw, I like the Mustang rear end vents you added - that is an idea I may copy someday!

Old 07-02-2006, 11:50 AM
davethecow
Elder User
hey ***** you talkin about bonnaville? its fun if its not to hot.when im home i like to go to the black rock and watch those guys go for the world record,its not more then a two hour drive.

i heard Noble and the thrust scc team will be out on the black rock this summer some time,trying to beet ther record.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:44 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
I do not know the Black Rock - what is it?

and yes, it is the Bonneville Salt Flats. I will be there this year as a spectator, and likely next year as a member of the team.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:44 PM
davethecow
Elder User
the black rock desert is a flat as a board playa.during the winter its coverd with water.Its about 50 miles across.its up in the nothwestern part of the state.