N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

DO you have a kid that needs some summertime work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 06:39 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DO you have a kid that needs some summertime work?

Lots of manual labor type stuff, cleanup, etc. Between me and my dad (who's just too on in years to get it done), I'm looking for some weekend help, pay would be better than minimum wage. Need to be able to get to Oakdale (actually, in between Oakdale and Riverbank off the highway...Crane Road).

Stuff like filling junk bins, hoeing weeds, cleaning garage/shop area...possibly if my dad is feeling skippy, he could use someone during the week...he'd be pointing at things with his cane about "put that in this pile, and this in that pile"

Could lead to lots of work over the next few months, if the individual shows some mechanical ability (drive a forklift/tractor, etc, be able to know wrench sizes and such...) I have some thing I need to get done as well, put a motor/tranny in one of my forklifts, build a few sheds, build some shelves for my shop,etc... Could be a good learning experience to learn how to tack weld, cut iron (plasma/torch/cutoff wheel) use a grinder, etc.

Reason I need to get some help, my Sister and Brother Inlaw (who have two boys 15 an 19 are moving out of the area, so that means my extra hands are going as well.

Anyway, figured that I'd post up here first, kinda like the idea of using someone's kids off FTE, gotta be a better group of folks than off Craigslist

Old 06-04-2006, 07:15 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could try the chevy site but you'd probably be hiring illegal alliens.

I'd come over and help out but at my age I'd be better suited to point at stuff, like your dad. gonna have to get me one of those cains. JK

Good idea, posting on the Chapter Forum. Too bad you're so far away. I can think of a couple of kids that could probably use some summer work.

It's hard to find anyone not afraid of good work these days though. Seems they all want to get paid for just showing up. Over there, in the agriculture areas might be the best place to look for good help though.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:02 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
naw,
I'm in no rush. I'll let it sit for a few days and see what pops up.

Old 06-04-2006, 09:56 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm about 6-8 miles from Crane RD(I'm close to Merle & Roselle). My step daughter's boyfriend may have interest, I have to tell him about it. Otherwise, I might be a little interested...overtime was halted at work & I got bills piling up. Unless you know of someone looking for a weekend wrench-head, I used to have ASE certs, but AT&T pays better so I let them expire.

Old 06-04-2006, 10:46 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
nevrenufhp, I have seen the yard - it is the sort of job I wish I could handle. There is lots of interesting stuff to look at and work on - plus he would be willing to let you learn to weld using his stuff - both tools and supplies.

I just wish I was healthy enough to keep up with him!

Old 06-06-2006, 08:48 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Shoot Clint, you'd probably out do me

nevrenufhp,

Let me know, keep in mind this is like 7 bucks an hour grunt work and such, spare change for most, but at least is cash payed.

I do have enough stuff to keep you busy that you'd regret gettnig up in the morning for your real job.

Have you thought about weekdn work at wrecking yards? I used to make spare coin back in the day taking things apart...always easier than putting them back together), most have a hard time keeping reliable help for a 7 day a week operation, they also require you have your own tools. Don't know what they pay nowdays, but back when minimum was in the 3.25 range, I made 5 bucks an hour out at Fee's (forget what it's called now) for working the weekends....plus got spare parts for almost nothing as well(no, I didn't steal'em).

Old 06-06-2006, 10:38 PM
davethecow
Elder User
Thumbs up

how about two nine year olds and a twelve year old.wife wants her own summer vaction.she could drop them off,but youl have to keep em and such.id do it but im not in the country right now.lol

ps. sorry gang ive not been very good at posting lately.im on a speical deployment and dont get much time to chat.

Old 06-10-2006, 06:16 PM
jcp123
Elder User
Damn! I'd love that job...but we just moved out of Cali last year. Oh well.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:28 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If we lived closer I'd volunteer my nephews (10,12 and 16) but I think the commute would cost more in time and gas than they could earn...

Old 06-12-2006, 10:29 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Could you shoot me a PM with your phone # so my step daughter's boyfriend can call? He's highly interested.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:05 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I'll send you a PM. Right now I've got help for the short term, my daughters boyfriend lost his job on Friday so I put him to work this weekend.

For all the money I've given them the past two years, he should be working for free

Old 06-14-2006, 07:53 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Thanks sirrr!