Computer Chips & Tuners  

6.0L custom tune?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 05:41 PM
Still thinkin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0L custom tune?

Drive an 04 6.0L with a superchip, love it, tried a bully dog thought it was awesome but the $135 price difference was not justified in my mind. Tried a predator but had major issues with upgrading to meet Ford's freshest re-flash.

My uncle just replaced his 04 6.0L with an 06. He had the Edge tuner and he liked it but he is looking for more, I have been reading good things about SCT, but I don't want to give bad advice, he already has intake and exhaust so he mainly need tuning.

Shift on the fly and the safety settings were pretty handy in the Edge.

Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2006, 12:50 AM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
If he wants everything he can get out of his truck by way of a programmer, then his best option would be a custom SCT Xcal 2. I personally run the Xcal 2 with files from Innovative Diesel. These are the custom tunes we get for our customers. I run a hot street file everyday and never have a problem. I also have the extreme race file that will knock your socks off. As far as custom tunes for the 6.0L we love them and recommend Innovative Diesel. Every ID custom SCT we have ever sold gets rave reviews. Im sure there are others, but this is our opinion. We have also heard good things about Motorhaven as well. If you do go with an extreme file of some sort, please remember to monitor EGT's, Boost, and Trans temp.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:23 PM
CBSuperduty
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that SCT is the way to go. Stick with one of the major tuners and you will be OK (Innovative, DJ, GoGo, DP). I run DJ's tunes and am extremely happy with them. I sent you an email with some info.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:41 PM
Still thinkin
New User
I am curious about the "physical" upgrades that Banks does, Would it be beneficial to do their kit with an SCT Extreme tune? Could the banks equipment make it safe to drive one of those tunes on a dailly basis?

Old 04-26-2006, 02:14 PM
CBSuperduty
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What physical equipment are you referring to? The only thing that Banks offers that I would consider putting on my truck is the intercooler and I would have to think long and hard about that. If you want physical upgrades drop me an email and I will let you know some info about turbos, injectors, fuel system, transmission, ect...

Old 04-26-2006, 02:16 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Not sure of what you mean by "safe" becuase the SCT with Innovative tunes (The only custom tunes I can talk about because its what I have experiance with) there is not an issue with blowing coolant, smoking trannies, or pushing the head gaskets out. I know there are some brands of tuners that appear to be a bit more prone to some or all of these conditions than others, but when refering the the Xcal2 unit, this is not a problem that is typically seen or expexted. Now, as to your Bank's related question.....anytime you increase airflow, decrease intake temps, reduce restrictions....you inadvertantly will increase power output and increase overall efficiancy. So...yes, running banks pieces that reduce restrictions and lower temps will in the end help...as will any other brand name of parts that may be made that are similar. I know Banks has some unique products for various makes/models, and there is almost no competition for some of the Bank's products....but some of them can be found by a differant manufacturer and can be directly compared to the Bank's Products...such as intakes and exhaust systems.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:16 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
I drive my 05 6.0L with the Innovative Diesel street performance tune everyday. The tune has been in my truck since Xmas day. I have an Intake system and 4" straight pipes. I dont worry about it at all. I also have an Extreme Race file. Good for drag strip or truck pulling or a little showing off, but she makes heat and you have to watch it. The TC also locks in second gear. Not ment for running for eggs or milk.

Old 06-04-2006, 05:11 PM
TexasTuff7
New User
i need a sound clip of a 6.0 diesel with after market exhaust if anybody has one it would help me alot on gettin one

Old 06-04-2006, 05:14 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
Hmmm? I guess I will have to make a video tomorrow.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:51 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CBSuperduty
If you want physical upgrades drop me an email and I will let you know some info about turbos, injectors, fuel system, transmission, ect...
Why not just sponsor the site instead of telling people to contact you on the side, to promote your business partner?

Old 06-04-2006, 09:07 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
I promise I will get a video put together this week. My Father in Law just crashed his motorcycle so the family is in a scramble right now. I will have my 3 year old and 1 year old with me for the next few days. The video is kinda on the back burner if you know what I mean.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:48 AM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Originally Posted by Still thinkin
I am curious about the "physical" upgrades that Banks does, Would it be beneficial to do their kit with an SCT Extreme tune? Could the banks equipment make it safe to drive one of those tunes on a dailly basis?
Give myself or Patrick a call and we can talk to you about Banks (We run a complete Banks truck at the shop) and the other options out there. There are so many ways to skin that cat, some are less expensive and nearly as good, some are big money and no where near as good. If you know how to choose your combo, you can normally put together a very nice and safe system for less than you thought it would take. We are here to help in any way we can and are willing to share our experiances (good and bad) with anyone. Chill guys!

724-272-1539
or
724-462-3669