89 f250 ---- no juice

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 07:12 AM
onebrian
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 f250 ---- no juice

89 f250--- the headlights will come on.The dome light will come on.The door buzzer works if the key is in the ignition.Turning the key to the acc position, or to the start position, does nothing, the heater,radio,etc....will not come on.

The guy that had this truck before me, wired a push start button.So you had to turn the key,then make sure the rod going to the ingnition switch was pushed all the way down.when you pushed the rod all the way down,then the heat and other acc would come on.and of course it would fire right up with the button.(the button only had two wires coming from it and they both were spliced into other wires at the steering column)

One day I went to start the truck, and the ignition switch fell apart.I went to autozone and bought a new one.The truck then would not start, so i took the switch back to autozone and exchanged it for another one. Needless to say that didn't help.I'm far from a mechanic,but I do have some common sense.So if anyone can help I will be so greatful.Thank you for any suggestions or comments because im at the end of my rope with this truck.

thanks again

Old 03-25-2006, 08:42 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,110 Likes on 2,170 Posts
welcome to fte.
there is a little thing in the column under the steering wheel called an ignition actuator cam. it is the piece that connects the key cylinder to the ignition switch rod. this is a weak link, and fails. it is a cheap piece to buy, costs around $11-$12. the problem is in the disassembly of the column to replace it. first time, it takes around 6 hours. after you know what you are doing, it can be done in as little as 2 hours.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:58 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,683 Likes on 1,359 Posts
If you replace that piece in the column, then you will be golden, and can get rid of that start button rig and start it with the key. No more pushing on the rod either.

Old 03-25-2006, 06:29 PM
onebrian
New User
so you are sure this is what is keeping me from getting any power?? I tried the trick of jumping the starter relay and that made the truck crank,but still did not start.I replaced the batt and the starter relay.so the acuator cam is what's stoping me from getting power???thanks for your time

Old 03-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Franklin2
From the story you gave us, I am pretty sure. I think the problem you have now is the ignition switch is not centered. I don't know if you read the instructions that came with the switch, but it should have said something about an alignment pin in the switch, and you only remove this alignment pin after you install the switch, with the keyswitch in the off position. What this is doing is aligning the switch mechanism with the mechanical part of the column. The problem you have is even if you did follow the instructions, you have no point of reference, because your column linkage is broken, and the rod that inserts in the switch could be anywhere.

If you want to make double sure this is your problem, take the switch back off, but leave the wiring plugged in. See if you can take something like a small screwdriver and manually move the switch. I don't know if the previous owners rig disabled the starting function on the switch, but if it didn't, you should be able to push the switch all the way and make it crank. Push it almost the whole way and that should be run. You have to get it in the right spot though.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:09 AM
onebrian
New User
ok.its pretty damn funny that no one in auto zone knew what that pin was for.but when i got both of the new switches neither one of them had any instructions and the pin was just laying in the bottom of both boxes.Anyway,I'm heading over there now and ill try to push the switch up with a screw driver and see what happens,and ill stop on the way and get that actuator cam and see where i can get with it today.thanks once again for your help.ill let you know later how far i get

Old 03-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Franklin2
Click on this link.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d800a9e20.jsp
It will take you to the spot where they tell you how to take the steering wheel off. Look to the right and you will see some things you can click on about the steering column and the ignition switch. There is lots of good info in there. Make sure to click on all of the links, because in one of them they have a picture of the linkage in the top of the column you are going after.

Old 03-26-2006, 10:11 PM
johnsjeffries
New User
For what it is worth I had my transmission rebuilt on my 91 F250 and the mechanic didnt get the plug seated properly on the electrical connnection on the transmission when reeninstalled. Took some time and trouble shooting, but that was part of the nuetral safety switch circuit. Once I pulled the connection I clearly saw that the wires were not making the connection to the transmission. Once I got the wires pushed in and made proper connection all is well. Something to look at if the above doesnt work for you. I used the print in the Haynes manual to trace wires.
Just my two cents about my expierence with my beast.
John