Ram's Horn Dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 10:17 PM
captradiator
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ram's Horn Dipstick?

I believe that the ram's horn manifolds that I bought on Ebay last year will require me to either change or modify the dipstick on the 312 that's going in my F-350 wrecker. Any info, help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated...

Johnny

Old 02-17-2006, 10:35 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With my Rams Horn I'm using a front dipstick. It was the original 56 dipstick, that I shortened and then scribed for level. It is jamed into an aftermarket housing, that is also drastically shortened. Both fit into and withdraw from a very short piece of the original 56 housing. No oil has been blowing out, and the whole affair is short enough it doesnt need to be bolted to the motor. Also clears the alternator. If you are interested I'll get a picture tomorrow, or maybe someone else has a better alternative.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:49 PM
captradiator
Elder User
46y,

Are you saying that there is a hole on the timing cover where I can re-locate the dipstick? I've looked at the photos in your gallery of your engine, but cannot see the dipstick.

Johnny

Old 02-17-2006, 11:50 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
It is actually a hole in the block, close to the timing cover, front right side. Yours would have a plug in it which comes out easily if you can drift it from inside. I think it is 1/2 inch diameter.
The old motor shot in the Gallery hides the dipstick, which is behind and below the alternator.
Looks like I need to update the Gallery.

Last edited by 46yblock; 02-17-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:01 AM
captradiator
Elder User
46y,

Thanks for the info. When I get mine completed, I'll post pics, also.

Johnny

Old 02-18-2006, 11:31 AM
46yblock
Postmaster
John,
I was thinking about all the shortening I did on the dip stick assembly, and why. Remembered that it was due to interference with my alternator, but that mounting bracket has since been changed. Dont know, but now a standard unmodified dip stick might work on my motor.

Old 02-18-2006, 01:00 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 848 Likes on 480 Posts
Johnny,
I'm running ram horn"s on three trucks all 56's. One is a f100, one is a panel and the other is a f600. All three have the mid engine dipstick (as the trucks used) My dipsticks run up thru the center of the manifold. I'd post a pic but I dont know how. email me and I'll email you back a picture of my installation. No modifications are neede EXCEPT, the center bold on the manifold is extreemly hard to get to.

With the manifold OFF the engine I install the gasket and the center bolt. I then have notched out the center on the manifold to DROP over the center bolt I can take pics of all of this for you and maybe you can then post them here for everyone else to see.

I looked for the part# for the NAPA heat shield-gaskets that should be used with the ram horn's and I cant find it. 46Yblock help me out here. I've posted the # here before and now I cant find it.

Kevin Bigwin

Last edited by bigwin56f100; 02-18-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:19 PM
wild.bunch
Senior User
The part # for the Ram's Horn dipstick is C1TZ 6750-A

The book says:

25.14" from shield to end
24.02" from shield to add
23" from shield to full

The Ram's Horn tube and bracket is part # C1TZ 6754-A

19 1/2" long

I think that the important thing is, whatever parts you use, to put in the quantity of oil you know the engine should have, and then check it with whatever dipstick you use. (Naturally, if you change the oil, you'll need to make sure the filter is full.) If the dipstick you are using doesn't read full, you will need to figure out how to correct that.

(BTW, "Ram's Horn" is the Ford name for the manifolds.)

Old 02-18-2006, 01:27 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 848 Likes on 480 Posts
I understand the Ford part # but I dont think they are available thru ford any longer. I buy my heat shield gaskets thru NAPA for the Rams Horn manifolds. Thats the part# I am looking for so he can stop in and get a set. The new ones thru NAPA had the ford part# on them but they dont go by that # at NAPA.

Kevin Bigwin

Old 02-18-2006, 02:16 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Kevin I thought I had saved that number, but now cant find it.

Old 02-18-2006, 03:48 PM
wild.bunch
Senior User
I was not addressing the issue of NAPA parts. My point in posting the Ford data is for someone to be able to fabricate something if they cannot find what they are looking for. The dimensions would provide a good starting point for that.

Since the Ram's Horn motors were only offered for 3 years, 61 to 64, it is unlikely that NOS could be found, and the dealers would have cleared out their stocks something like 30 or more years ago.

If I recall correctly, the stock installation came up between the exhaust ports of cylinders #2 and #3, behind the manifold. Many cars and trucks, and especially vans, had very long dipsticks and one of these could be cut down and used. Since newer dipsticks are much thinner and narrower than the old Y Block ones, there would be many ways one could route a serviceable replacement for the original.

Old 02-19-2006, 07:28 AM
azwafree
Senior User
too bad you can't find that NAPA part number guys...I'd like to have it if it turns up...

Doug

Old 02-19-2006, 08:17 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
There is a guy who makes Ram horn dipstick tubes out of stainless tubing. It is the same length as the original, but curved to go around the ram horns. I bought one for $20, it works great. It bolts to the block in the same location. Do a "Y-block" search on ebay and they show up periodically.

You can make your own or bend the original with a good tubing bender as well. If you want a picture, let me know

Old 02-20-2006, 09:07 PM
captradiator
Elder User
I took a close look at my 312 today and located the spot for the dipstick on the front of the block. Looks to be at about the same elevation as the side-mounted one so I believe the original one will work there. Thanks to all of you for y'all's advice/comments/assistance.

Johnny

Old 02-20-2006, 09:41 PM
46yblock
Postmaster
Johnny,
Didnt I see in your profile that you are a radiator professoinal? If so, how about some ideas on mounting original or aftermarket aluminum radiators? A friend is getting ready to install an alum. unit in his 65 Chevelle, and told me he is going to use some sort of U shaped rubber saddles, to hold the bottom, and a similar retainer at the top (dont have a real clear mental picture). Sounds like it could be a winner, being it is not hard mounted or bolted to the rad. frame, yet supported and semi-floating. If you come up with a brainstorm, put it in a new thread.

Edit: Sure dont mean to put you in a spot here, just thought you'd be a good person to pass the inquiry to. I have a couple other radiator questions also.
Mike

Last edited by 46yblock; 02-20-2006 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Ram's Horn Dipstick?