1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Where to find Trailer tow mirrors for E-350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 05:07 PM
al_e._gator
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hangman54
One other thing,what type of mirrors did Your van have from the factory?? Mine has the small plain power mirrors(singles not doubles).
this mismatch has Me confused
My van came with non extendable power double mirrors. It shouldn't matter, the doors are all the same except for older vans only having three holes. I think they added the fourth hole because they started offering the bigger mirrors and needed extra support for the increased weight and wind resistance.

Old 04-10-2007, 05:12 PM
hangman54
New User
I stopped by the local Ford dealer today and talked to the parts man and He told Me that Ford does make telescoping power tow mirrors for 2002-2004 E-series.
1aauto sells their mirrors as fitting 2002-2006 E-series so anyone looking for these mirrors be advised that they may not fit the older models.
So now its off to see if I can return these mirrors without taking a hit on restocking fees!!

take care...
...hangman

Old 04-10-2007, 06:20 PM
al_e._gator
Senior User
1AAuto has been selling those mirrors on eBay for a long time and you're the first person I have heard about having a problem with the mirrors. I think someone may have just pulled the wrong part or mixed your order up with someone else's. Just think, somewhere there might be an F350 owner scratching his head trying to figure out why the bolts on his new tow mirrors are too short!

Old 06-19-2013, 02:37 PM
rebar13
Senior User
Originally Posted by hanno2s
just did this on a 92, needed to drill two extra holes, plus minor relocation of the existing top and bottom door holes. An air grinder with a metal burr (not a grinding wheel) made it much easier, but it still took a few hours. Also, on 92 there is a brace (at an angle of course) in the double wall where one of the new holes has to be. Much time spent grinding that sucker away. Result is worth it, now can see everything, plus my wife will now actually use reverse. ..
Mines a 1995 and Im having the same issues..

Well I just received the mirrors today and they will not fit!!
My original mirrors have 3 bolts but the bolts only extend past the base about 1.25 inches,the new ones extend about 3 inches with a large "boss"surrounding the base of the bolt...plus the over all length of the black plastic base is almost 14 inches,where as the old is only 13 inches.
Can someone that has done this swap please give Me some advice
HELP...
hangman has the same mirrors as I. The base is bigger and all holes have to be redrilled/located looks like.. Then mount it from the inside skin instead of outside with fender washers?

Boy, I wish someone would confirm this before I hack up my door and then find out it wont work and can no longer mount the originals.

Originally Posted by al_e._gator
1AAuto has been selling those mirrors on eBay for a long time and you're the first person I have heard about having a problem with the mirrors. I think someone may have just pulled the wrong part or mixed your order up with someone else's. Just think, somewhere there might be an F350 owner scratching his head trying to figure out why the bolts on his new tow mirrors are too short!
Im not sure about that.. Hangman is describing exactly what Im looking at.. The box says 03-13 econoln

As you can see with my template, the base is larger, but if mounted correctly would simply cover the window rail now.. I hope..

Old 06-19-2013, 02:45 PM
rebar13
Senior User
Originally Posted by hanno2s
just did this on a 92, needed to drill two extra holes, plus minor relocation of the existing top and bottom door holes. An air grinder with a metal burr (not a grinding wheel) made it much easier, but it still took a few hours. Also, on 92 there is a brace (at an angle of course) in the double wall where one of the new holes has to be. Much time spent grinding that sucker away. Result is worth it, now can see everything, plus my wife will now actually use reverse. ..
Mines a 1995 and Im having the same issues..

Well I just received the mirrors today and they will not fit!!
My original mirrors have 3 bolts but the bolts only extend past the base about 1.25 inches,the new ones extend about 3 inches with a large "boss"surrounding the base of the bolt...plus the over all length of the black plastic base is almost 14 inches,where as the old is only 13 inches.
Can someone that has done this swap please give Me some advice
HELP...
hangman has the same mirrors as I. The base is bigger and all holes have to be redrilled/located looks like.. Then mount it from the inside skin instead of outside with fender washers?

Boy, I wish someone would confirm this before I hack up my door and then find out it wont work and can no longer mount the originals.

Originally Posted by al_e._gator
Im not sure about that.. Hangman is describing exactly what Im looking at.. The box says 03-13 econoln

As you can see with my template, the base is larger, but if mounted correctly would simply cover the window rail now.. I hope..

Picture link

Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 PM
rebar13
Senior User
Looks like the various manufactures mirror should work well. None of the bolts/"boss" pedestal matched the existing holes. Make a template and it fits ok but may take you all day.

Pics

Old 06-20-2013, 05:41 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I'm not sure where you are in your process here but I'll state categorically its NOT a good idea trying to adapt or fit any mirror intended for '03 and later years onto the '02 and earlier door shells!

I've done it, its a mess and you do run the risk of ruining the mounting location for the '02 and earlier doors. Were it me and I truly needed or wanted the larger towing mirrors I'd strongly consider swapping out a decent set of '03 or later used doors. All doors from '92 to 2013 fit the same, the main differences being the mirror mounting provisions.

Don't scoff because all things considered this is easier and the better way to go.

HTH

Old 06-20-2013, 01:48 PM
rebar13
Senior User
Originally Posted by JWA
I'm not sure where you are in your process here but I'll state categorically its NOT a good idea trying to adapt or fit any mirror intended for '03 and later years onto the '02 and earlier door shells!

I've done it, its a mess and you do run the risk of ruining the mounting location for the '02 and earlier doors. Were it me and I truly needed or wanted the larger towing mirrors I'd strongly consider swapping out a decent set of '03 or later used doors. All doors from '92 to 2013 fit the same, the main differences being the mirror mounting provisions.

Don't scoff because all things considered this is easier and the better way to go.

HTH
Maybe.. If someone was parting out a E350 locally, I would have been all over that weeks ago.

Since I passed the point of no return.. Its done and I'm confident the mirrors are mounted securely. Im not sure about the quality of the mirrors, but for less than $200 I can see the sides of my 8'6" wide trailer.

Trick was a accurate template. Not the foam gasket, so you drill once.

M6 bolt lengths are 1" for the top three and 1 1/2" for the forth bottom bolt. Fender washers will be needed and trimmed.

Pics here

Old 06-21-2013, 06:09 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Looks like you did a good job---we both know this is NOT the easiest path to the newer style mirror mounting!

FWIW any E-Series from '92 to 2013 interchange, from the E150 all through the various GVWR's---same body, different frame/suspension in some cases.

Template-wise I used the mounting studs as marking points, pushed them into a flat piece of cardboard---this gave me the perfect location for drilling the centered stud holes. For the mirror base lugs that were offset I trimmed the template with hole saws so the base would fit perfectly onto the door shell.

After a few attempts my hole locations were suitable so the template was trimmed to simulate the mirror base. Only then did the drilling commence!

Problem was after I installed the '03 style dual element mirrors I hated them but by then it was too late, couldn't go backwards then. Now that I have an '03 with those same hated mirrors I've modified them to '07 configuration which eliminates that lower convex piece in favor of a larger main mirror. Adding a small spot mirror on both sides gives me great rear views with high confidence no one is in the blind spot. Since I don't tow the telescoping feature isn't of interest but those would be invaluable to anyone pulling something large.

Next up is a heated mirror option---non-factory of course, complete with timed off too!

Old 06-21-2013, 07:48 AM
rebar13
Senior User
I will agree.. Two new doors would have been easier. I must have installed and removed the mirrors 20 times before I was satisfied and I still have to remove them one more time for the gasket. 8 hrs install time.

I haven't used my mirrors yet, but I imagine after you pointed out the short falls, I will probably want one large mirror as well..

All I know is it's illegal to tow something wider than your mirrors. And now I'm legal.
Ever towed and not been able to see behind you? Its no fun.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:05 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Hey Rebar---glad to have you legal now---hate to come up on you and "disappear" in your blind spot!

Just for grins here's a non-scientific comparison of the two type mirror glass, '03 factory dual element then '07 and up single element:

Without the division of separate mirrors I feel a quick glance to the right before lane changing gives me a better idea what is there, how close it is should I need to make a fast lane change. I've tried getting accustomed to the '03 styles but after using the '97--02 pedestal types with their huge viewing area it was tough.

I'm experimenting with stick-on spot mirrors of different sizes to get an even wider right side field of view. Nothing conclusive yet.......

Old 06-22-2013, 09:09 AM
rebar13
Senior User