Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum128/)
-   -   Where to find Trailer tow mirrors for E-350? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/452592-where-to-find-trailer-tow-mirrors-for-e-350-a.html)

Tony1790 01-21-2006 12:25 AM

Where to find Trailer tow mirrors for E-350?

I can't find the replacement extendable trailer tow mirrors for my E-350. I looked on Fordparts.com and Fordaccessories.com and googled it. Any idea where to look, or are they even available??

Thanks

Tony
New to "Big" Vans

Fordcr 01-21-2006 06:58 AM

ebay........

Adventure 01-21-2006 09:23 AM

For most years there, are no replaceable extendable mirrors. They existed for the F series but not the E series. The difference was a four bolt pattern (F) versus a three bolt pattern (E). Others had to drill another hole to get them to fit (of course, I am only talking about the power mirrors, not the manual mirrors). I would recommend clip on extensions for when you plan to pull a large trailer.

al_e._gator 01-21-2006 01:50 PM

Factory E-series extendable towing mirrors for 2000-up are available on ebay everyday. If you shop carefully you can get them for $225 a pair or less shipped . In fact there is a pair listed right now for less than $100. Be careful and make sure you are getting a pair. One of the sellers ha a misleading ad. 2002 and older vans require a fourth hole to be drilled in the door to fit properly. Installation is 30 minutes per door. I do not believe these are same mirrors as the F series.

wrbahc1 01-21-2006 08:39 PM

i just got a pair from 1aauto.com for $119 each for power mirrors like the f250 extendable power mirrors. i put them on a 98 e350 and had to drill two holes to make the four studs line up. took a little time, but nothing too bad.

Adventure 01-22-2006 03:07 PM

Let me rephrase my early posting . . .

You won't find a replacement e-350 towing mirror to directly replace the factory power mirrors. The towing mirrors require a 4 hole mounting pattern while the factory power mirrors only have a 3 hole mounting. The door is not manufactured with 4 holes, only 3, so you need to modify the mounting for the towing mirrors to fit.

. . . for only $119 a piece those mirrors look pretty nice. Any trouble installing them at all other than drilling the holes?

al_e._gator 01-22-2006 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Adventure
Let me rephrase my early posting . . .

You won't find a replacement e-350 towing mirror to directly replace the factory power mirrors. The towing mirrors require a 4 hole mounting pattern while the factory power mirrors only have a 3 hole mounting. The door is not manufactured with 4 holes, only 3, so you need to modify the mounting for the towing mirrors to fit.

I have factory power (adjustment) telescoping towing mirrors. I bought them on eBay for $190 plus shipping. I installed them myself and did not have to drill holes or splice wires. Here's why, 2003 and newer vans already have four holes in the doors from the factory. Tony1790's van is a 2005 so they will fit his van without modification. These mirrors come on most E450s and E550s used for ambulance and box conversions. Many conversion companies prefer to use VelVac mirrors so they remove the factory mirrors and sell them.

Tony1790 01-22-2006 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by al_e._gator
I have factory power (adjustment) telescoping towing mirrors. I bought them on eBay for $190 plus shipping. I installed them myself and did not have to drill holes or splice wires. Here's why, 2003 and newer vans already have four holes in the doors from the factory. Tony1790's van is a 2005 so they will fit his van without modification. These mirrors come on most E450s and E550s used for ambulance and box conversions. Many conversion companies prefer to use VelVac mirrors so they remove the factory mirrors and sell them.

That's where I've been confused, I keep looking for E-350 Trailer tow mirrors on Ebay and can't find much to choose from. But if I am to understand that the same mirrors from the F250/350 fit on the E350, then I should be able to find those much easier. Is that correct??

Thanks for all of the info.

Tony

al_e._gator 01-22-2006 09:10 PM

No, E series mirrors are not the same as F series mirrors. Look at auctions 8032095900 and 8032095904 for single mirrors from 1AAuto or auction 8028593651 for a pair. The auction for the pair has the word "truck" in the title but the description says they are for E series vans. Try searching for E350 and mirror together (leave the dash out, E350 not E-350). Make sure you search descriptions and titles both.

Tony1790 01-23-2006 02:02 AM

Thanks for the clarification, I looked at the auction #'s that you sent me and am bidding on the pair. Wish me luck.

Assuming that I get the trailer tow mirrors, it'll be time to get a trailer :-)

I need a dump trailer, can't see filling up the van with garbage, yard waste, etc

Tony

hanno2s 03-15-2006 11:52 AM

just did this on a 92, needed to drill two extra holes, plus minor relocation of the existing top and bottom door holes. An air grinder with a metal burr (not a grinding wheel) made it much easier, but it still took a few hours. Worst was cleaning out the residue inside the door (and the broken pieces of grinding wheels). Also, on 92 there is a brace (at an angle of course) in the double wall where one of the new holes has to be. Much time spent grinding that sucker away. Result is worth it, now can see everything, plus my wife will now actually use reverse. All the above posts are right on, get van mirrors, not F series. Got mine on e-bay, about $200 to my door, electric adjustment (had to splice on my old connectors), manual telescoping and convex mirrors. What a difference, even when not towing. Now, a set of 16" alloys.....

Tony1790 03-15-2006 07:24 PM

I received my TOW mirrors ($150) and put them on, no drilling or anything...totally easy. My 05 van has 4 bolt holes and so did the new mirrors, plus they just plugged right into the wiring system.

I also bought a nice dump trailer, but it is a little overkill, like needing a volkswagen and buying a panzer tank.

Tony

hangman54 04-09-2007 04:56 PM

Hey Guys,I have been following this thread and ordered a pair of mirrors from 1aauto on ebay,with the knowledge that I would have to drill 1 maybe 2 holes to mount the tow mirrors.
Well I just received the mirrors today and they will not fit!!
My original mirrors have 3 bolts but the bolts only extend past the base about 1.25 inches,the new ones extend about 3 inches with a large "boss"surrounding the base of the bolt...plus the over all length of the black plastic base is almost 14 inches,where as the old is only 13 inches.
Can someone that has done this swap please give Me some advice,I am pretty sure these mirrors must be from an F-series truck

HELP...

2002 E-350 Super Duty Cargo Van

P.S. The wiring harness plug is totally different

al_e._gator 04-09-2007 07:28 PM

I think you were sent the wrong mirrors. My mirrors had ~1.5" studs and the plug was an exact match.

hangman54 04-09-2007 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by al_e._gator
I think you were sent the wrong mirrors. My mirrors had ~1.5" studs and the plug was an exact match.

Wow,just My luck.
These new mirrors are designed to bolt to the inside door skin instead of the outside skin
My doors right now have small holes in the outside and large holes on inside(to allow the socket wrench to fit thru)
The new mirrors would need holes just the opposite... large on the outside,small on the inside.
I was thinking that maybe Ford changed the Vans halfway thru 2002 (as the mirrors were advertised fitting 2002-2006) My van is an early 2002,but You're saying that a 2005 has the short bolt configureation,there goes that theory!!
I guess its time to contact 1aauto.

Thanks for posting back about this...

later...
...hangman

One other thing,what type of mirrors did Your van have from the factory?? Mine has the small plain power mirrors(singles not doubles).
this mismatch has Me confused