Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Five-Hundred - 3.0L Duratec is a dog

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 02:58 PM
jbabbler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Five-Hundred - 3.0L Duratec is a dog

My brother-in law just bought a new Ford Five-Hundered to be used as their family car. It is very spacious and the interior is very nice to look at. Much of the plastic feels cheap and hollow though and the I think I could put my fist through the dash with little effort. The exterior is sharp and I think it sits nicely with definate German characteristics.

That being said, why did Ford decide to put the underpowered 3.0L Duratec engine in that huge car? I was extremely dissapointed with the power and performance of the 500. We had to floor it to get to merging speed on the hiughway and the motor sounded like it was going to explode. He has already mentioned trading it in for a 300 or Magnum.

My neighbor works at the local Ford plant and he stated that Ford is scaling back production at the 500 plant but increasing output at the Fuzion plant. He said that the Fuzion plant workes are on mandatory OT while they are working short shifts at the 500 plant.

I for one think the weak engine plays a huge role in this. Do you think Ford will recognize this before it's too late for the 500?

Old 01-11-2006, 05:50 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, as a matter of fact they've already got a 3.5L with 250 hp for use in the Zephyr and it'll probably make it's way to the 500.

Old 01-11-2006, 05:57 PM
V8EXPLR
Elder User
I saw a recent report that the 500 does 0-60 quicker than the 300 Touring edition, which is the V6 model 300. So it must not be too, too gutless. With that said, I hear the CVT helps and hinders the car in regards to it's power output.

I as well like the style which could be made better, but hopefully this 3.5L mentioned by 73Fastbackv10 will help this dog get up and go. Still think they'll need to offer a V8 version, maybe the 4.6 with specs as close to the 300 5.7L HEMI as possible. I just can't see Ford trying to have the 500 compete against the 300 SRT8 though.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:23 PM
mgazak
Laughing Gas
My dad has an 05 Freestyle (same platform and powertrain as 500). Although it could use more power, I certainly wouldn't consider it a dog. I've driven it several times and really like it. In fact, my wife will probably get one when the lease is up on our Explorer. By then, it may have the 3.5 V6 which is definetly going into the 500/Montego/Freestyle/up-coming Magellan in 07 or 08.

If nothing else, take comfort in knowing that your brother-in-law's 500 got the Gold rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, one of the few cars that did.

One other thing I just thought of... I drove a Magnum this summer while the Explorer was in the body shop following an accident. It only had the base V6 so power was nothing special (certainly no better than the Freestyle). I then did some research and the other two engines offered, the bigger V6 and Hemi, although offering more power require at least mid-grade gas and the mileage goes down too. With gas prices the way they've been, the difference certainly could add up quick.

Last edited by mgazak; 01-11-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Percys Armory
Posting Guru
I have no problems getting to highway speeds, but yes the engine can be noisey.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:17 PM
BadHabitinVA
Senior User
My wife & I bought a Five Hundred back last July. It has the 3.0L V-6 and 6 speed tranny.

I have to ask...what kind of performance are you looking for? We paid $19,000 for this car and we are very pleased with its performance. We are really impressed with the fuel mileage. We get 22- 24 in day to day driving and 29-30 on the highway. That is tremendous in a car large enough to seat 5 comfortably and haul 3 more in the trunk.

As for looks...it grows on you after time.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:27 PM
jbabbler
Senior User
I have to ask...what kind of performance are you looking for? We paid $19,000 for this car and we are very pleased with its performance. We are really impressed with the fuel mileage. We get 22- 24 in day to day driving and 29-30 on the highway. That is tremendous in a car large enough to seat 5 comfortably and haul 3 more in the trunk
Well, I guess that knowing its obvious Volvo lineage, he was expecting it to perform as well as it looks. That car looks like a European sedan but doesn't act like it. I think the 3.0L should stay with the car as the entry level motor. The 3.5L sounds like it may help but I also think a super coupe or V8 is in order as well. That car looks like a BMW, why shouldnt it act like one?

As far as safety, he loves it and that was one of the main reasons for buying it.

Last edited by jbabbler; 01-11-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:31 PM
BadHabitinVA
Senior User
I too would like more performance...but at this point in my life (two kids in college, 3 hotrods in progress) I want the $19,000 price. I'm sure adding $10,000 dollars to the price and slipping a 4.6L 3V would make this car out perform all the cars mentioned.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:16 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
The 4.6l wouldn't fit.
I did hear that the 4.4 Yamaha V8 (as fitted to the Volvo XC90) could fit in the car...

Having said that, I think the 3.0l is more than adequate for the car - it is a lot quicker than it feels, the CVT can be very decieving.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:09 AM
BrianJ77
Senior User
Originally Posted by BadHabitinVA
My wife & I bought a Five Hundred back last July. It has the 3.0L V-6 and 6 speed tranny.

I have to ask...what kind of performance are you looking for? We paid $19,000 for this car and we are very pleased with its performance. We are really impressed with the fuel mileage. We get 22- 24 in day to day driving and 29-30 on the highway. That is tremendous in a car large enough to seat 5 comfortably and haul 3 more in the trunk.

As for looks...it grows on you after time.
Wow, that's really good gas mileage for such a large car! I have been thinking about getting a Freestyle as our family car. Have you had any problems with your 500? Is that motor a flex fuel motor? I would like to burn E85 so that I'm not giving as much of my money to OPEC.

Old 01-12-2006, 06:29 AM
BadHabitinVA
Senior User
The car has 14000 miles on it. We have taken it on two long trips (2500 miles each way) and it has performed flawlessly.

We had to take it back to the dealer for the fuel tank recall, but that is it.

The 3 things my wife has mentioned that she doesn't like about the car are:

1) The engine seems to take longer to warm up in the mornings compared to her Taurus (same engine)

2) The head rests seemed to project too far forward. I fixed that by swapping them sie to side and turning them around.

3) She doesn't care for the grills appearance. We are ordering a billit grill that bolts over the factory one.

It is not a flex fuel engine. We live out in the country, so I don't know what a "city" mileage would be.

With the 6 speed, it is kinda odd feeling getting used to the car shifting 50 feet after you pull off.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:11 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbabbler
Well, I guess that knowing its obvious Volvo lineage, he was expecting it to perform as well as it looks. That car looks like a European sedan but doesn't act like it. I think the 3.0L should stay with the car as the entry level motor. The 3.5L sounds like it may help but I also think a super coupe or V8 is in order as well. That car looks like a BMW, why shouldnt it act like one?

As far as safety, he loves it and that was one of the main reasons for buying it.
The difference is it is not priced like a BMW. This car was never meant to compete against BMW or Volvo. It was meant to go head to head with Toyota. Its funny everyone talks about buying super coupes but the reality is most everyone buys the best looking, most fuel effecient, cheapest car they can get. Thats what you get with the 500.

Old 01-12-2006, 09:54 AM
jbabbler
Senior User
Originally Posted by tmyers
The difference is it is not priced like a BMW. This car was never meant to compete against BMW or Volvo. It was meant to go head to head with Toyota. Its funny everyone talks about buying super coupes but the reality is most everyone buys the best looking, most fuel effecient, cheapest car they can get. Thats what you get with the 500.
I hear what you are saying, however... Why not have the choice for a larger, more powerful motor. We could make the same case for the Ranger and say "Why do we need a 4.0L when the 3.0l is just fine?" or "Why do we need 3 different gasoline motors for the F150?" The truth is, people like what they like and to me and my BIL, the Five-Hundred, as it is today, has an underpowered engine. For this to be a great touring car, it needs to be able to get-up-and-go alot faster. I live in Atlanta and quite frankly, the car performs poorly on the ATL interstates. His car does not have the CVT by the way, maybe the CVT makes it quicker...

Old 01-12-2006, 10:16 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
jbabbler, I don't think that Ford had any intention for the 500 to be a touring car. It is just a family car and priced accordingly. I don't find the Camery or the Avalon for that fact to be great touring cars and I have owned both. Could the 500 be a touring car, sure but it will cost much more money to make it so.

What I have been told though is with the CVT and from test driving the AWD model I did find it was a little underpowered but overall it was fine. I think we will see another engine for the 500 sooner or later.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:25 PM
AZwhite350
Junior User
I got a 500 SE as a company car - replacing a 2003 POS Taurus. I have put about 12,000 miles on it in six months, and have to say that I think it's a pretty decent car. The drivetrain makes a lot of noise when you step on the go pedal. The CVT takes some getting used to, but when you step on the gas, the car moves out.

The seats are pretty mediocre, but the seating position is really nice for someone tall (like me). It doesn't have the tire-grinding understeer that the Taurus had either (thank god).

Quick Reply: Five-Hundred - 3.0L Duratec is a dog