General Automotive Discussion

Subaru center "third eye" headlight

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:39 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Subaru center "third eye" headlight

I've been looking online for a decent used Subee, and came across one described as haveing a "third eye". I have only been able to find references to this online, but no pictures. Does anybody know about this system, or have a picture of it? Is this something that will go away with a grill change, or be hidden by rally lights?

Old 01-03-2006, 10:45 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
I've been looking online for a decent used Subee, and came across one described as haveing a "third eye". I have only been able to find references to this online, but no pictures. Does anybody know about this system, or have a picture of it? Is this something that will go away with a grill change, or be hidden by rally lights?
I haven't seen the subaru one, but it is not a new invention. The Tucker automobile in, I think the late forties, had one. It moves left to right as the steering wheel is moved. It was located in the middle.

Old 01-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
I'm familiar with the idea, I just don't know where they put it. I know the Tuckers had it high above the grill, but I can't really picture where it would be on that car, or what it would look like on there.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:14 AM
DonsFx4
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember the commercials for it...it's obviously in the center of the grill but is hidden by a large medallion that flips open when the light comes on.

Well, the medallion wasn't THAT huge. At least it wasn't as fugly as the new Tribecca grill.

Old 01-04-2006, 12:29 AM
coatit
Senior User
they had this in the early 80's maybe 83 give or take a year or two. You couldn't tell what it was there. when you pulled the stalk mounted switch it flipped open acted like a passing light of sorts. Not to worry not a deal breaker. those little cars go 250,000 plus with little care.I have a 95 with about 165,000 and it has only had regular mantiance

Old 01-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Yeah, I had an 82 for about a year and a half, finally snapped an oil ring at 195,000. I'm looking to get a new one in the same era, but a 4x4 this time. Thanks for the info, I knew the they did some weird things in the past (four wheel independant suspension with torsion bars and inboard disks in the late 60's comes to mind, as well as 2-stroke engines and freewheeling hubs), they've gotten really bland in the modern era. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be driving down the highway with this odd grafted on eyeball.

Old 01-04-2006, 03:04 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Aw crud- I really am getting old. Yeah, we owned one like that- hides behind the center emblem. It was a single fog/driving light, as I recall. Worked pretty well too- like the rest of the car. Had a '84 too, but it had a conventional quad headlamp setup. I miss those old bodystyles- I used to call them japanese Saabs. Hey, at least they had some personality.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:16 AM
coatit
Senior User
saab is selling a rebadged impreza now so now we have a swedish subaru, I havn't seen one but I bet is a better looking care than if it was a real saab

Old 01-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Yeah, GM's influence is doing a good job at killing both brands. You can even get a Trailblazer that thinks it's a Saab.

Old 01-04-2006, 11:09 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
More bad news for Subaru- they just got bought by toyota (GM owned the biggest chunk). Word has it Toyota bought Subaru.....

so no one else would get them. Pretty rare Toyota takes the competition that seriously. Naturally, GM was on the selling end of that deal. Heck, maybe Toyota might want Buick or Pontiac too?

Old 01-04-2006, 11:38 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
PB...how is that bad news for Subaru?? You'd think they would be glad to shed GM influence and pick up on some styling, engineering, and pretty deep pockets.

The basic Sube is a very good vehicle...I've had several. But their styling is gawd-awful and you can see the recent GM influence there. With Toy's hand in the works, things can only get better, I would think.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:10 AM
polarbear
Post Fiend
Here's the counterpoint- GM pretty much left Subaru alone- and although their styling was getting bland, the public liked it, as sales figure show. A lot, actually. The wierd styling (Tribeca) didn't come from GM- Subaru hired some guy from Alfa Romeo. Toyota didn't get into the game to help Subaru- they just bought it so one of their competitors wouldn't own them. Kinda like Shell buying Texaco.

Old 01-05-2006, 12:42 AM
DonsFx4
Elder User
Thanks for clearing that up!!

Old 01-05-2006, 03:49 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
http://usmb.net/gallery/slideshow.php?set_albumName=album75

It's a slideshow, pay attention to page 9 in the bottom left, and page 12 has it listed on a diagram, among others. Poor quality pictures, but it should help you get the idea. Unless you knew to look for it it just looks like some kind of emblem, pretty small.

That was a pain to find, but you got me pretty interested.

Last edited by tdister; 01-05-2006 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:57 PM
jasonbbq
Freshman User
I owned an 81 4x4 wagon. It drove great in the snow and slick mouddy roads. Even with new syncros I would grind the gears 10% of the time. It would eat up the front tires in half the expected time. Not much could be done about that, it was just the steering geometry. The passing light worked but it was just easier to hit the brights than to find the 3rd eye switch. Good luck with your search.

Quick Reply: Subaru center "third eye" headlight