Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Information about propane conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 03:01 AM
David from Wales
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Information about propane conversion

Has anyone got any experience of getting a V10 F250 Harley converted to propane ? I live in the UK and am hoping to import the beast very soon. I have an Explorer which I had converted when I bought it new in '98, and it has been no trouble whatsoever. All the dealers I have spoken to when trying to source a Harley with the V10 have told me that it is an unpopular engine, " lots of problems and requires a large purse to run it " I think they just can't get their hands on one and then steer me towards buying a diesel. By searching the airways I have found a 2005 Harley with the right engine and fully loaded and hope to have it in the next week ready for shipping from Florida, but if anyone can recommend a good propane kit and a firm to fit in that vicinity I would be very grateful. By the way the price of gas in the UK is approx $7.40 Diesel, $7.64, and propane is $2.75 ( all are UK gallons ) NOW YOU CAN SEE WHY PROPANE IS GOOD.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-31-2005, 07:27 AM
Wrenchtraveller
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi David, welcome to the V10 Forum . I can't help you with your propane conversion but hopefully someone can.

The dealers that told you the V10 is unpopular, lots of problems, and needing deep pockets to run are not familiar with the Ford V10. They might be getting it mixed up with the Chyrsler V10 which is closer to that description.

The V10 is not that common in pickups because the North American buyers of heavy duty pickups prefer Diesel engines. There are still a lot of V10s out there, but not as common as the Diesel.

There are many Ford V10s in Class C motorhomes.

The V10 has a very solid reputation and for a 6.8 litre gas engine, the fuel economy is good. All my previous Ford trucks with gas V8s burned more fuel.

Take care and good luck getting your truck back to the UK. Wrench

Old 12-31-2005, 09:59 AM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
There were a couple of posts in the last year by a fellow in Norway who was running his V10 on propane if memory serves. Just do a search on "Norway". Or it might have been on the SuperDuty forum.

Old 12-31-2005, 11:42 AM
larspetter123
Junior User
Norway is still here.

I run my Excursion V10 on LPG. My system comes from Canada, from a company called ECO FUEL, try www.ecofuel.com. I got my conversion installed here in Norway by a certified LPG shop. This is my third LPG converted vehicle. My two previuos were a 97 Chevrolet Astro 4,3 V6 awd and a 97 Chevrolet Suburban LT 5,7 4x4. And now I have this wonderful V10 running with the same fuel cost as my wifes -03 Chrysler Neon LX 1,6.

The price of fuel in Norway are quite similar as in UK regarding the difference between gas and LPG, gas is close to 3 times the cost of LPG.

The system I am running now is a LPG injection system. So instead of the mixer in the inlet tube wich I had on my previous vehicles, I now have 10 (2 x 5) beautiful injectors mounted on top on each side of the inlet manifold, right next to the gas injectors. With this system I do not have to worry about back-fire, it always start on gas, and switches automaticly to LPG at a preset engine temperatur. By this I also keep the gas system operating a few kilometers every day, so it don´t dry out. This is perfectly save "on the run", no need to make the switch at stand still.

I am very pleased with my LPG converted V10. I have had no engine problems, neither on gas or LPG. It´s running very smooth and very cheap. I think I finally found a vehicle that I´ll keep for a while.

Happy new year to everybody.

Old 12-31-2005, 03:30 PM
David from Wales
New User
Hi Lars, and all my new friends,

Thanks for the information and I have sent an E-mail to the firm in Canada. It is so encouraging to know that there are people out there to provide help and experience if needed. One question, why do you call a sun roof a moon roof ??????????

HAPPY NEW YEAR from Dave & Carol in Wales ( not Oz )

Old 12-31-2005, 04:20 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
larspetter123 - Glad you're still around and having such success with the V10 and LPG. Based on your success I may look into this when I retire in 18 months or so. Thanks for the response.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:42 PM
samhagar1
New User
Originally Posted by David from Wales
Hi Lars, and all my new friends,

One question, why do you call a sun roof a moon roof ??????????

HAPPY NEW YEAR from Dave & Carol in Wales ( not Oz )
The reason I was given, is that a sunroof does not open, but a moonroof does... Doesnt' make much sense to me either..

Old 01-01-2006, 06:58 PM
captchas
the moon roof as it's called is because it lets you see the moon at night.
this area is getting better all the time now. a 2 valve on lpg and soon a 3 valve on lpg. i can t wait to find this one out .but on a down side here in the usa right lpg costs as much as over a cross the big pond. 325 gals for heat at $2.87 usa price talk about going broke fast.
barebones i beat you by a few the last day worked was nov.11th. only mine is forced retirement called s.s.d.i. from degenerative disc at 15 levels and a need for 2 new joints.a knee and shoulder.

Old 01-01-2006, 07:19 PM
BareBones
Posting Guru
Ouch. My adult son is also looking at shoulder surgery. He might not have the use of the arm for 6 weeks, just from this one operation, but what can you do but go after it with a positive attitude. A friend of mine at work has had two hips replaced - twice! He only wishes he'd done it sooner. Best wishes.

Old 01-01-2006, 08:00 PM
RDRAY
Junior User
Unhappy

Originally Posted by BareBones
Ouch. My adult son is also looking at shoulder surgery. He might not have the use of the arm for 6 weeks, just from this one operation, but what can you do but go after it with a positive attitude. A friend of mine at work has had two hips replaced - twice! He only wishes he'd done it sooner. Best wishes.
Had the shoulder surgery on October 17th. Haven't been back to work yet and probably won't for another 6 to 8 weeks and it will be light duty. Hopefully your son's shoulder isn't as bad as mine.

Old 01-02-2006, 03:57 PM
captchas
shoulder? this will be the 5th time for this one. only it's being replaced this time.
i feel for any one have to go though it.
doc who's going to do it asked which zipper line i want him to use. same with the knee which zipper. wife went back and asked him how he wanted to die. doctors and hospital nurses man can they bust each other.
but this 3 valve v10 on lpg i really want to know how it runs and stands up in power levels from being dead stock.