General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

registration ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 05:09 AM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
registration ?

on his update thread Andrew says he is going to 'register' his truck, I will presume he is talking about liceince plates and such. How many of us do that? Where I live there are a few brave souls driving trucks with no plates, with the snow and the cold and the tailgate down, noone seems to notice them, snow plowers mostly. Must you have a plate where you live? DF

Old 12-07-2000, 05:17 AM
StockMan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
registration ?

[FONT COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE="3" FACE="Veranda"]
There are NO states that do not have a registration requirement for motor vehicle, most also have a financial security requirement. Bending the rules may get you by, but you are just living on borrowed time. I have seen many fatal accidents involving unlicensed, illegal vehicles. You may run the risk of criminal prosecution not to mention the civil liability if there is an accident.
[/FONT]

[LINK:www.hometown.aol.com/tbeeee|http://members.aol.com/tbeeee/page/67registry.jpg]

Old 12-07-2000, 07:56 PM
oleblue70
Elder User
registration ?

I know this,in the state of Mo.You do not have to have a plate on the back if you have farm tags!
See all kinda farmers with a Deere tag on the back and sometimes Ford tags.
1970 f250 4x4

Old 12-07-2000, 09:00 PM
trouble
Senior User
registration ?

In missouri not only farm tags but any truck with over 18,000lbs plates you only get 1 plate for your truck
By they way oleblue were in MO are you located im in Rolla
Trouble

Old 12-07-2000, 09:10 PM
daywalker
Senior User
registration ?

This is pretty sweet. I have a 18,000 lb plate up front and a skull shifter **** on the back where you mount the ball hitches. I also live in Springfield, MO. Small World.
Daywalker
92' F-250 351 4x4 xlt 4.10 5spd sprcab lngbed

Old 12-07-2000, 10:33 PM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
registration ?

Stockman is right every state has motor vehicle laws, but what is a motor vehicle? In Michigan and Minnesota, the two states I have researched, a motor vehicle is a titled vehicle that is used for transportation of passengers or frieght, FOR HIRE. This is different from an automobile that carrys the owner and his property only. There is also an exclusion for snow removal equipment. It seems clear after reading the statutes and several court cases that most of us have been tricked into registering as a commercial carrier. I don't get paid to drive myself or my stuff around, do you? If you have a title for one of your trucks, look who is in big letters at the top, the state, not you. The state just put your name on to show who is taking care of their stuff. Because it is the states truck, they can tell you when you can and can't drive it, and how you must maintain it. One of my trucks has a bill of sale, no title, and no plate, but rather my name on the tailgate. I'm looking at how to insure it, if someone runs into me I want to be able to fix it. Plates and registration have always bothered me, if the roads belong to all of us collectively, and I own my truck, why should I pay the state extra money to use my truck on my roads? The entire DMV would appear to be a scam. What do the rest of you think? DF

Old 12-07-2000, 10:36 PM
oleblue70
Elder User
registration ?

Hey , a couple of "Musura" boys huh?lol!
No,I live in NE Ks just a little 5min jaunt from the Mighty Mo!
I do live way up hill however!lol.

I go to Mo all the time and always see those plates,most guys take advantage of the situation some dont.

...blue

1970 f250 4x4

Old 12-08-2000, 05:51 AM
StockMan
Posting Guru
registration ?

[FONT COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE="3" FACE="Veranda"]
NY used to allow Farm tags for $1. They realized after the 1990 census that something was wrong because the population of farmers here didn't jive with the exhorbitantly high number of farm vehicles registered. They now require insurance on farm vehicles just like every other registered MV. NY will not give anything other than a commercial type plate for a pick-up. That doesn't mean you necessarily have to pay extra for weight, but you do pay a base registration fee on the unladen weight, plus extra money for however much weight as might be carried counting passengers and/or any weight being towed. NY does allow year of manufacturer plates, but you fall under an antique and classic standard which requires a special insurance certificate. Nothings ever easy.
[/FONT]

[LINK:www.hometown.aol.com/tbeeee|http://members.aol.com/tbeeee/page/67registry.jpg]

Old 12-08-2000, 06:46 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
registration ?

18,000 lb. plates on a pickup is kinda heavy, aint it?

In North Carolina, all vehicles must first be insured and then plated to operated on the states roads. Pickups can be plated with a 4000 lb. plate that is equal to a car. The next one is 8000 lb and is commercial. I have commercial insurance on one of my trucks ($1,000,000.00 liability), but still a 4000 lb. plate. I don't know if I have seen a farm truck plate in a while, but that allowed the farmer to get tax credits on his fuel and things like that. This state also has no fault insurance, so that your vehicle can be fixed in case some out of state vehicle with no insurance caused harm to yours. Of course you have to pay it back over three years.

John
jowilker

66 F100s
In the still cool hours of the night, you can hear chevys rusting away.

Old 12-08-2000, 09:22 AM
daywalker
Senior User
registration ?

A 6,000 lb truck with a 12,000 lb fifth wheel just barely tipped the scales at 18,000lbs. Never said it was a good setup, just that it worked when it needed to.

92' F-250 351 4x4 xlt 4.10 5spd sprcab lngbed

Old 12-09-2000, 07:53 AM
dinosaurfan
Cargo Master
registration ?

here in my state, Michigan, we pay for the roads with tax money from the sale of gasoline and diesel fuel. Of that pool of money, the newspaper says that we give the DMV 80 million dollars. So even though they charge you 15 $ for a driver liciense and 100 or more for plates, they claim to not take in enough money to be self supporting. So if they are collecting millions of $$ in fees for their 'services' and they get 80 mill from the state, and they produce no product that has to be paid for, just where does all the money go?! Seems to me there must be some state workers going home with pockets stuffed!! What does your state pay for roads with? DF

Old 12-09-2000, 01:49 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
registration ?

$.40 per gallon tax on gasoline.

John
jowilker

66 F100s
In the still cool hours of the night, you can hear chevys rusting away.

Old 12-09-2000, 07:27 PM
trouble
Senior User
registration ?

In missouri if you own or lease more than 10 acres and have any type livestock you can get a farm tag for your truck .As far as 18,ooo lb plate put a loaded gooseneck behind one , and let DOT weigh ya and you'll be glad you had them
Trouble

Old 12-09-2000, 08:20 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru
registration ?

Hi, here in n.j. I have passenger plates on my truck but had to up the weight a passenger plate starts at 5,000 lbs. my truck weighs 6800lbs. so I registered it for 7200 they never stop you but if you get in an accident and it is registered light????
Hey BLUE how far are you from Cameron Mo. that is where the ex and the kids are!!! John (FATFORTY)

Old 12-10-2000, 11:18 AM
bgodkin
Elder User
registration ?

The whole time I lived in Neew York while growing up and working around a dairy farm I learnded that The DVM of that state is the biggest PITA in the whole world. I can remember taking an afternoon off of work to go and get a vehicle registared or swap a title over. When I bought my 86 in August it took me 15 with waiting in line. I couldn't believe it. The only downfall to the farm tags in NY was that there was a certain distance you were allowed to drive from the "Farm" with them. I know if you got caught outside of your radius with farm tags you were going to get nailed with a healty fine and lose your farm tags. One thing I have noticed about NY in the last couple of years though. I was home onl leave 2 years ago and a buddy of mine had let the insurance expire on his car, Well he got a call from the DMV stating that he need to get up there and turn in his plates NOW. He blew it off and 3 days later the Troopers came a knocking with a screwdriver in thier hands to get his plates. I think he might have also wound up getting his license suspended over that lol.

Brad Godkin
1986 F350 CC/SRW
6.9liter/C6

Quick Reply: registration ?