General Automotive Discussion

Bonded title?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 10:49 PM
ranger74
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bonded title?

I just bought a 79 F-100 from somebody for $300.00 It runs great, needs a master cylinder. I have no title, no bill of sale, and the truck is from out of state. Has anybody here been through the bonded title circus?

Old 11-23-2005, 05:30 AM
captchas
took me 1 year of bs here in new jersey to get a title for my 53 f100. a super big pia. and the truck had never left nj. built in edgewater. sold in sussex county left in a farm barn for 45 years untill the new owner of the farm wanted it out.
i had to load it on my flat bed race trailer tow it to the state police to check all the vin numbers, place adds trying to find the first and only owner, apply for paper work. wait of a title, just a major pain. if it was not a 100% stock almost rust free 53, i would have simply parted it out on ebay

Old 11-23-2005, 05:53 AM
jonm61
Senior User
Personally, I would go with http://www.its-titles.com/ or one of the others.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:01 AM
captchas
thanks man
they want $175.00. did not cost me that much and i got the full run down about the c.o.o. from ford not that i had not run the vin my self. and found built in new jersey sold in new jersey and kept in new jersey under canvass and hay in a barn.other then frozen brakes and clutch it ran but smoked.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:10 PM
ranger74
Senior User
Thanks for the info, looks like I'll be scrapping another truck.

Old 11-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Steven@nd
Elder User
Originally Posted by ranger74
Thanks for the info, looks like I'll be scrapping another truck.
Don't give up so easily. It varies from state to state. Go to the DMV and ask what you need to do.

Why won't the person you bought it from write up a bill of sale? Do they have proof of purchase for themselves?

In ND it's fairly easy to get a replacement title with a bill of sale. Dunno how AZ works in that realm.

Old 11-23-2005, 02:01 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
If it's not possible to obtain any of the documentation you need, then it's time to get resourceful.

Need a bill of sale? Make one up. The DMV doesn't verify signatures. Also have the "owner" write up something that says he lost the title, there are no liens on the vehicle, and it's his free and clear.

Go to the DMV with everything. If you don't get what you want, then go again on a different day and get a different teller. Some are stricter than others. Some don't care at all, they just want you out of their hair.

I'm not advocating that you break the law to be sneaky - but if you are honest, and the truck is really yours and you're not pulling a stunt, then I encourage you to do whatever is necessary to get it done. When dealing with the DMV, in my mind, the means justify the end.

I have done this before. I got my title.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:39 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by andym
If it's not possible to obtain any of the documentation you need, then it's time to get resourceful.

Need a bill of sale? Make one up. The DMV doesn't verify signatures. Also have the "owner" write up something that says he lost the title, there are no liens on the vehicle, and it's his free and clear.
You're suggesting the commission of a felony. What if it turns out there is a past problem with the vehicle and it is caught when it is taken to the DMV and the ID is run? It could have been stolen or been involved in a hit & run or anything.

People used to get titles from Alabama because they were the easiest place to get untitled vehicles titled. There were "dealers" down there to assist you.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:58 PM
go_racing84
Elder User
I didn't get a title when I got my '72, but I DID get a bill of sale. It doesn't matter if you have a title or not... always get a bill of sale when you buy a vehicle from a private party! No one knew whose name the truck was in (it wasn't the person who I bought it from), so in order to find that out, I had to send a copy of the bill of sale along with a notarized affidavit stating that I had "vested monetary investment" in the rig. The DMV sent me back the name and address of the title holder.

It just so happens that about that time the person who sold me the truck found the signed title at his house, so I was able to just submit that and do a regular title transfer.

Had he NOT found the title, I would have to contact the title holders, make sure the truck isn't stolen, see if they had a title they could sign over and mail to me, and then do the title transfer to my name after I had it (if they couldn't find the title, I would have to of paid a lost title fee AND a title transfer fee).

That's my 2 cents on the process. I really thought about just forgetting it because of the red tape, but it was worth it in the end. It really helped to just go to the DMV, give them the information I had (in my case, my bill of sale, [expired] plate number on the truck, and VIN number) and ask what I should do. People had been telling me that I could just apply for a lost title and do a transfer if I had the VIN and plate numbers, all kinds of conflicting stuff. If anyone should know the procedure, it's the DMV. Maybe my local DMV is atypical, but the guy at the counter was sympathetic and willing to just tell me what I needed to do.