Wireless entry problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 01:10 AM
PMDRACER
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wireless entry problem

Newbie here. Not sure where to post this, but...

Just bought a 1999 F250 Super Duty with the V10. Love the truck, but I've had it for about a month, and 5 times now the remote keyless entry has quit working. I'll walk up to the truck, hit the unlock button and nothing happens.
Took the truck back to Ford and of course the problem doesn't surface the entire time I'm there, and they give me 2 brand new fobs. Since then it has happened 2 more times.

The funny thing is that it only does this at my work. I work in a building with an underground parking garage. I stopped setting the alarm and just locking the doors because I got tired of explaining to the bored and well-armed Sheriffs that come running whenever they hear the alarm go off when I have to open the door, put in the key and find the valet button under the dash.

So today, when I leave for work it does it again, so I just unlock the door with the key. Of course as soon as I open the door, I check the operation of the buttons on the fob and all works fine. Again, it only happens at work. I set the alarm/door locks anywhere else and never have a problem.

Anybody have any ideas? I'm about ready to go back to Ford and tell them to replace the keyless entry module.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:19 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Hello- Welcome to FTE! I have moved your post to the specialized forum we have here for your question. Check out the list of tech forums we have here. There is a wealth of information and expertise here to help you. There are a number of links in my sig below to help you also. Have fun!

Old 11-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Have you tried parking in different areas of the garage? There may be some equipment in the building jamming the signal.

Old 11-18-2005, 04:39 PM
PMDRACER
Senior User
Yes, in fact I've parked in three different areas. It has to be some sort of interference, but what, I dunno. Just checking to see if any others have run into this. It's really driving me batty, not to mention really p!ssing off the Sheriffs!

Old 12-19-2005, 10:26 PM
PMDRACER
Senior User
UPDATE: Problem solved

After two more trips to the dealer, the last one resulting in a loud argument with me trying to explain the problem to a closed-minded service manager. He tries telling me the alarm controlls the door locks and i know nothing about my truck. I'm telling him he is 100% wrong, and the alarm gets it's signal from the keyless entry system (Ford calls it the GEM - General Entry Module). He counters with "That's what the key fobs are for". I then ask him for all to hear "Then why the f**k did my truck come with the fobs BEFORE the alarm was installed?" At that point I told him to "just fix the #$%@& truck, period" and left.

Granted, I wasn't proud of my actions - ususally I keep my cool.

An hour later I got a call from the service manager himself. "Mr. Bauer, the GEM module is faulty. Your truck will be ready in an hour."

It's been working fine for 3 weeks now.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:52 PM
lilpowerstroker
New User
test test test

Old 09-11-2013, 02:46 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Hi lilpowerstroker, I got your message. What's up?

Old 09-11-2013, 09:07 AM
lilpowerstroker
New User
FOB Problems

Originally Posted by Tugly
Thanks; I have a 1999 F550 2LCustom. It had a aftermarket security system with working FOBs. I didn't like the system and I unhooked it cleanly. I resoldiered the 3 wires that were cut.1 ignition and 2 elec lock wires to driver door. Every other wire had quick crimps. The door lock buttons and everything works fine except the FOB system. The truck had 2 new factory FOBs in the dash still in plastic bags. I cycle the key 5 times as the book says to do and the locks activate. Then I get no response from clicking the FOB. I have tried it 5-8-10 times. No response. I used one of the FOBS on another F350 (and it worked fine) just to make sure I was doing it correctly and that they work. Im at a loss as what to check next. The wires in truck are in good shape and I don't see anything else out of place. The aftermarket FOBS worked fine so its hard to imagine the system is not in tack. I fill like there is a wire cut or unplugged that I am missing. Please Help Thanks Paul

Old 09-12-2013, 06:21 PM
lilpowerstroker
New User
Fobs

Originally Posted by Tugly
Thanks; I have a 1999 F550 2LCustom. It had a aftermarket security system with working FOBs. I didn't like the system and I unhooked it cleanly. I resoldiered the 3 wires that were cut.1 ignition and 2 elec lock wires to driver door. Every other wire had quick crimps. The door lock buttons and everything works fine except the FOB system. The truck had 2 new factory FOBs in the dash still in plastic bags. I cycle the key 5 times as the book says to do and the locks activate. Then I get no response from clicking the FOB. I have tried it 5-8-10 times. No response. I used one of the FOBS on another F350 (and it worked fine) just to make sure I was doing it correctly and that they work. Im at a loss as what to check next. The wires in truck are in good shape and I don't see anything else out of place. The aftermarket FOBS worked fine so its hard to imagine the system is not in tack. I fill like there is a wire cut or unplugged that I am missing. Please Help Thanks Paul

Last edited by lilpowerstroker; 09-16-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:39 PM
lilpowerstroker
New User
F550 Door Fob Problem

Thanks
I have a 1999 F550 2LCustom. It had a aftermarket security system with working FOBs. I didn't like the system and I unhooked it cleanly. I resoldiered the 3 wires that were cut.1 ignition and 2 elec lock wires to driver door. Every other wire had quick crimps. The door lock buttons and everything else works fine except the FOB system. The truck had 2 new factory FOBs in the dash still in plastic bags. I cycle the key 5 times as the book says to do and the locks on all 4 doors activate as the book says it should. Then I click the FOB and I get no response at all from the door locks. I have tried it 5-8 and 10 times with no response. I used one of the FOBS on another F350 (and it worked fine) just to make sure I was doing it correctly and that the FOBS did work OK. Im at a loss as what to check next. The wires in truck are in good shape and I don't see anything else out of place.
1 The system activates the locks correctly at 5 key cycles tells me that wiring is in tact from all of the doors to the controller.
2The aftermarket FOBS worked the doors fine so its hard to imagine the system is not in tack.
I fill like there is a wire cut or unplugged that I am missing somewhere. Please Help Thanks Paul

Old 09-16-2013, 12:37 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Sorry it took so long to reply, I was occupied with an event from the 13th until today.

1999 F550 2L - Is that an early or a late? I have the wiring diagrams for both (I think).

With all your wiring woes, you're sure you found all the bad ones?

Old 09-16-2013, 02:13 PM
lilpowerstroker
New User
F550 Fobs

It has man date of 05-98 so id assume that is a early 99 model.
Thanks a lot for your help.
Another person reminded me that the locks were working off of the A/M controller before I removed it. I was thinking the A/M controller still just activated the factory controller. That being said the factory controller can just be unplugged but I don't have a clue where it is at and with the wires all in a harness I cant trace wire colors.
I have been all under the dash and have had the dash panel out and I don't see anything obvious unplugged and the wiring is in good shape. Nobody has butchered on it. Thanks Paul
New Info: in my quest to fix this I was looking at it again and I found (with the light switch out of the dash) that a main box is behind the fuse panel with a lot of wires and plugs going to it. On the side by the drivers door there are some wires the same size and color as the door lock wires in the door. They are all plugged up good and nothing is cut or tampered with. Thanks Again for helping me. Paul

Last edited by lilpowerstroker; 09-16-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: New Info
Old 09-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
While I have never had problems with my GEM (door locks, cab lights, etc...), I recall it was located behind the fuse block. You're on it now. If the FOB is malfunctioning on the receiving end, it could be the GEM... but I have no idea where the antenna is and that would be the first thing to check for proper connection (assuming there is one).

Old 09-19-2013, 08:08 AM
lilpowerstroker
New User
F550 FOBs

Thanks;I don't see anything that looks like a antenna wire but I think I am going to remove the fuse box and pull the GEM down and take a closer look at everything this weekend.
This must not be a common problem or a easy fix since I don't see anybody else offering any advice. Thanks for your help. Ill let you know what I find. Thanks Paul

Old 09-19-2013, 10:58 PM
shorod
Logistics Pro
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
It is possible that the fobs you have are not correct for your vehicle. Since they were in bags, they did not come with the truck which makes them that much more suspect. You might do some Internet searching to find out what the part number is for stock fobs for your truck and compare that against what the fobs you have show for a part number.

-Rod

Quick Reply: Wireless entry problem