Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Wanna good laugh--read this!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 09:54 PM
cowgirlmechanic
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Wanna good laugh--read this!!

I've got a 1994 EXT E4WD aero, but the hubby drives a 1995 Saturn 4-door sedan......so here goes the story.....

Hubby was getting ready to leave for a trip to Chicago. Just before he walks out the door, I say to him "you better check your oil before you go..."

A few minutes later, he comes storming into the house holding a white quart sized bottle, swearing and cursing up a storm.....apparently he took my advice.... he checked his oil, found out it was low. Went into his trunk, got out this bottle and topped off his oil....

WITH POWER STEERING FLUID!!!!!

He was sooooooo mad!!! I asked him didn't he READ the WRITING on the bottle BEFORE he used it....No, of course not.....he just assumed that a bottle that shape and size was oil.....EVEN THOUGH the biggest letters on the thing IN BOLD PRINT said POWER STEERING FLUID!!!!

I had to fire up the Aero, go to town and buy some more oil. We had to drain all the oil out and refill it with fresh. Fortunetly he hadn't started the car, so the power steering fluid hadn't circulated. It just drained down into the pan. I bought him Quaker State oil in the green bottles to have in his trunk, so the next time he wants to "top off" his oil he won't confuse it with power steering fluid!!

The Satty still is running like a good little beast though, none worse for the wear!!

Just thought you all would enjoy the laugh!!

the Cowgirl Mechanic

Old 09-29-2005, 10:51 PM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is almost lucky to have a wife like you.

Quaker State oil is not the best in the world of oil to run. It is a wax type oil that coats everything in this film of crud, which over time ruins things (Penzoil is the same way.) I would have went with Mobil 1, or Motorcaft (both black bottles.)

Otherwise good story!

Old 09-30-2005, 12:54 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ever watch a guy that chews and spits in a bottle, drink beer and get the wrong bottle?

th look on his face is priceless

guarentteed to sterilize and deworm a cowboy

cgirl,
how's that Aero runnin?

Old 09-30-2005, 06:24 AM
TrickStyle3L
Freshman User
Exclamation Oh, She Caught Him!

lololololol, I'm sorry, but C-Girl Mech.... that was just a damn good story to hear.
What you just witnessed was just priceless, humorous, and at least he took your advice. Well it could have been worst.. at least he didn't start up the car and then run it/drive it, LuCKy!
You know that whole story should be made into a commerical!

Old 09-30-2005, 06:32 AM
cowgirlmechanic
Senior User
96_4wdr, the Aero is running good! Have had some minor issues that I have been pondering on, getting mental and financially ready to fix them....... like occasionally when I turn the key to start it nothing happens. Just a humming noise from under the dash. Me thinks a starter solinoid is beginning to go bad. It also seems to "lose" coolant, about a gallon every 3,000 miles. Never see a leak, nor do I smell it anywhere, nor burning out the back, so must be so small that it might have to get really bad before I can locate the source. Just little things that don't really worry me, I just know to keep watch for the warning signs that it's time to dig in and fix them!!

93nighthawk, didn't know that about oil!! I'll have to pick up some motorcraft or Mobil 1 next time to keep in the car for top offs!! I tend to go to the local quick oil change (the one I trust) for my 3,000 mile changes. Any opinions?? (maybe have to start new thread?...)

the Cowgirl Mechanic

Old 09-30-2005, 10:48 AM
copper_90680
Postmaster
If you change oil & filter every 3000 miles, I don't think it matters what oil you have in there. I have used Penzoil for the last 170,000 miles on the van and never had any problem. You can buy Motorcraft oil at Autozone or ....ugh.... Walmart.

OK, about husband, I envy him. I always wish my wife could change oil while I watched and had a brew or two

Last edited by copper_90680; 09-30-2005 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:41 PM
krankshaft
Elder User
I pick up a carton of Mobil 10W 30 at the local Sam's Club and have had no problems. Don't know why I chose Mobil probably because its a reputable name brand. I never would pick up a no name brand no matter how cheap it was.

Old 10-02-2005, 03:38 PM
xuzme720
Elder User
Originally Posted by 93nighthawk

He is almost lucky to have a wife like you.
almost? sounds like she is a lifesaver! props to cowgirl for saving his butt! now if you can just teach him to read.

BTW I'm with copper when it comes to name brands. always used castrol myself, but when you consider that your oil is the ONLY thing between direct metal-to-metal contact on your bearings(read: instant engine death) a good oil is a cheaper expense in the greater scheme of things.

Old 10-02-2005, 07:35 PM
rickm5
Senior User
anybody know about valvoline? what about that "maxlife" stuff. can you change to synthetic after 60 thou miles? could be too many questions rick

Old 10-02-2005, 08:21 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
all you wanted to know about oil and then some

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

Originally Posted by rickm5
anybody know about valvoline? what about that "maxlife" stuff. can you change to synthetic after 60 thou miles? could be too many questions rick

Old 10-03-2005, 06:59 AM
tomucen
Senior User
Originally Posted by krankshaft
I never would pick up a no name brand no matter how cheap it was.
I always look whether the oil meets manufacturer specifications. My personal benchmark is "Mercedes-Benz sheet 229.1" - if it meets or exceeds that, it's good. I don't worry that much about the brand name, usually most of the stuff comes from the same refinery or is a budget sideline of a large oil producer.

Old 10-04-2005, 09:04 AM
cowgirlmechanic
Senior User
The added bonus to all of this--I'm 7 months pregnant!! Just imagine it.....

Angry husband under the car on jackstands grunting and swearing that he can't get the oil pan plug off. That it must have been the quick oil change guys using an air tool. Me telling him, no they don't use air tools or I'd hear it when I get the oil change done. Him, about ready to strip the bolt and me telling him to let me try.....

So I get down under the car and realize that he's been using the wrong size socket! It was a tad too big and what that the plug is a *metric* size not a standard. So with him saying I'm wrong, I get the 14mm socket, put the ratchet on the plug and give it a few good tugs and wa-la! It comes loose and the oil can be drained......

I bet right then he felt a lot more foolish that his pregnant wife had to save his a** twice!!!.......

Poor man!! Maybe I'll have to find something else around the house for him to fix to regain his title as "Man of the House".......

Oh yeah!!! And he like to cop out of reading stories to the younger nieces and cousins by saying he doesn't know how to read!!! Maybe there's some small truth hidden in it after all!!!!

the Cowgirl Mechanic

Last edited by cowgirlmechanic; 10-04-2005 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:08 PM
copper_90680
Postmaster
Are you sure it's you who is 7 months pregnant and not him?

Old 10-04-2005, 01:28 PM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
actually, 1 pint or even 1 quart of power steering fluid would not have damaged the engine.
almost the same thing as what comes out of engine oil bottle, good old straight 20 weight dino fat oil with some anti wear, lots of anti foam and oil seal conditioner, might have even been good for that seal/gasket externally lubricated leaking GM product.
about the same thing as what's in those consumer marketing gimick engine oil sealers that retailer for $9.95 a pint

Last edited by 96_4wdr; 10-04-2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:15 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
We use to clean engines by dumping a quart of tranny fluid in the engine right before changing the oil. Like I have always told my wife, don't let any component run out of fluid, even if you have to put engine oil in the power steering or transmission because running a pump dry is worse then running the wrong type of fluid/oil (besides water).

Quick Reply: Wanna good laugh--read this!!