Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tornado fuel saver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 03:12 PM
xxX Hefty Xxx
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tornado fuel saver?

Anyone have any experience with these thigns? I've started driving more and I can afford gas and other things, but I was wondering if one of these things can help me save some cash or atleast give me better then 15MPG. Anyone?

What if I were to add a cold air intake by K&N, would it work for this too or what?

Last edited by xxX Hefty Xxx; 09-06-2005 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:14 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
waste of time to buy tornado thing. do a search covered before.

on k&n cold intake, may help a little.

a good tune-up, new wires, plugs, cap and rotor, air filter, clean throttle body, clean egr, oxygen sensor etc. will help more in my opinion.

also taking it easy on gas has helped me.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:18 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tips to Reduce Automotive Fuel Costs
• Keep your engine tuned. Studies have shown that a poorly tuned engine can increase fuel consumption by as much as 10 to 40 percent depending on a car's condition. A faulty oxygen sensor alone can reduce fuel economy by up to 40%. Follow the recommended maintenance schedule in your vehicle owner manual; you'll save fuel and your car will run better and last longer.
• Keep your tires properly inflated and aligned. Underinflated tires cause fuel consumption to increase by six percent. Refer to your vehicle owner manual for proper tire pressure.
• Check and replace air filters regularly. Clogged filters can cause up to a 10 percent increase in fuel consumption.
• Use the grade of gasoline recommended in your vehicle owner manual. In most cases, using a higher than recommended octane gasoline offers no benefit.
• Use the grade of motor oil recommended in your vehicle owner manual. Using a different grade of oil can reduce mileage by 1-2%.
• Keep wind resistance to a minimum. A loaded roof rack can reduce fuel economy by up to 5%.
• Drive slower. The faster you drive, the more fuel you use. For example, driving at 65 miles per hour (mph), rather than 55 mph, increases fuel consumption by 20 percent. Driving at 75 mph, rather than 65 mph, increases fuel consumption by another 25 percent.
• Commuting. Shift your work schedule to avoid rush hour to minimize starts, stops and idling, carpool, or, if your employer and occupation permit, telecommute.
• Use overdrive gears. Overdrive gears improve the fuel economy of your car during highway driving. Your car's engine speed decreases when you use overdrive. This reduces both fuel consumption and engine wear.
• Do more in a single car trip. Several short trips taken from a cold start can use twice as much fuel as one trip covering the same distance when the engine is warm.
• Remove excess weight from the trunk. Avoid carrying unneeded items, especially heavy ones. An extra 100 pounds in the trunk reduces a typical car's fuel economy by one to two percent.

Old 09-06-2005, 08:17 PM
MemOrex
Postmaster
LOL, the tire thing I now believe. Last week I had my front tire nearly flat. After repairing it, I gained .7MPG! I am now at a whopping 13MPG

I think the only thing the tornado does is make a whistling noise similar to a supercharger...(or is that the TB spacer?)

Old 09-06-2005, 09:01 PM
xxX Hefty Xxx
New User
I don't even want to think of what my truck needs far as a tune up. I was under the impression my dad took care of it and it would be pretty good. But all I'm really finding is work, some of it is just me and if I didn't care about it at all I wouldn't even care. I need the shackles fixed but I can't wait till november to fix them cheap at my automotive class, Driver inside door handle and tailgate need to be replaced. Don't know about the shocks, and I really want to cut the cat off and just replace it with a straight pipe, I think I was told about that on here. Doesn't bigger tires your MPG a bit more?