1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Thinking of starting over with another Truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Broomfieldbum
Laughing Gas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Thinking of starting over with another Truck

Hey, just wanted to put out the question, at what point would you guys give up on your current truck and get another? I have a 57 F-100, and I found rust all the way through in the upper left corner of the cab. I found a cab, and they only want $250 for it, but I also found a truck 550 miles away I can pick up for about $2500. The cab I found has a few needs. It needs steps, step riser, and inner and outer cab corners. I don't know that I can do the welding on the plates, and therefore I am looking at $1700 minimum before the cab would be ready. Being a perfectionist doesn't help me. The truck I found has no such needs, It is a instant daily driver. The last sinker I have is my monthly budget isn't great, a couple hundred a month. I can get a loan for the good truck. Let me know.

Broomfieldbum

Old 08-07-2005, 08:33 PM
husker
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I've considered that proposition with my 54 F250 as my motivations have changed since we got the truck. Also, the cab appears to need more than I thought. I will probably go ahead and keep it because it was my first attempt and has been a learning tool and recreation. I have considered several F100's as occasionally one comes up that isn't too much money. There is a lot to be said for an instant daily driver, plus you may be able to recoup some of the costs if you can sell the current project. One of my original motivations was to learn by doing, but I've found that too much of that isn't much fun either. Given your parameters, I would be tempted by the new truck.

Old 08-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 57 F100 as my 1st attempt. I went after it because I was born in 57. I didn't know just how hard it would be to get parts for it. I think some things are more available now than when I started mine. I went off on in a direction with it that I shouldn't have. It was a decent driver when I bought it ($900), but it never drove under its own power after I drove it home.

I literally gave it away to make room for my 54 that I have now. I like the looks of the 53 - 56's, but I miss the distinction that the 57 had. I wish I had it back. Besides, the 239 that came with my 54 is harder to find parts for the the 57!

I would no doubt go for the cab without the rust out. Most of the body panels you mentioned are available for the 57, but they are hard to get installed right, even when done by a pro.

What size motor is in the 57 driver?

Old 08-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Broomfieldbum
Laughing Gas

The 57 has a strong running 272/2bbl, with a 4 speed. The alternate truck has a 223/1bbl, and 3 on the Tree. Three on the tree is more attractive to me, mainly because most people can't drive em, and I can.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
If I were anywhere near Colorado, I would go for the driver. The 57 292 is supposed to be the best Y block made. The later years were detuned. Is this driver a stepside or styleside?

Old 08-07-2005, 10:12 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 616 Likes on 382 Posts
You're smart to be considering your alternatives now, not regretting it after you've sunk a bunch of money into it! Go for the driver, unless you're 25 years old and have ten yrs to put into the truck, have so little money the difference really matters, or you just love frustration. The real joy is in the driving.

Old 08-07-2005, 11:00 PM
51ford fan
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What really hurts is when you get $7,000.00 invested in your truck and its still not driveable. Then you go to an Antique Auto swapmeet scrounging for parts and some guy drives in with a nicer body style truck. In better condition for sale for $3,400.00, and to top it off the wife gives you one of those looks.

Rod

Old 08-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Earl
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've already got $11,783.57 invested in a rolling chassis and engine - not counting $3,581.89 in tools. And no, it's entirely stock so there are no expensive performance parts on it. 'course, EVERYTHING has been restored to new condition - not that my wife understands that part.

All-in-all, the money has paid for something I really enjoy - plus I get to spend time with my boys and grandson. I doubt I could go bowling once a week for the past 7 years for the money I've spent on the truck. Lessee, 52 weeks/year x 7 years x $10 per session (including food) ... carry the 12 ... square root ... that's $3,640. Hmmm, maybe I should have taken up bowling! Nah, I hate bowling.

You know the old saying:

You know how to make a small fortune restoring old trucks? Start with a big fortune. BWWA HAAA HAAA HAAA

Old 08-08-2005, 02:21 AM
e william
Elder User
Just my opinion....
If you have to drive it everyday with no other vehicle as backup...get as good a truck as you possible can afford for reliability.
If it is a project, get something that makes you grin...but choose within your expected skill level, willingness to learn as you go and or wallet depth.

I would personnaly try to keep from financing something that I had to count on AND needed repairs (if on a tight budget) just for the simple fact of being repair money poor after all the monthly payments.

If it is a project that you just fall in love with at first site, but have to finance... then maybe an occational cold one in the garage while looking at it and dreaming about it isnt so bad either. One day the money will come around, but until then you could look at it as an investment.

again...just my opinion... Ed

Old 08-08-2005, 04:49 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Being a perfectionist is your worst enemy. I also leaned toward perfection but learned a number of years ago to accept something a little less. It made my life easier in many respects including my truck. I still have to fight my perfection tendency occasionally and even now sometimes find myself spending hours on some part I could have been done with in a few minutes. My old truck will never be perfect, but I think I can live with that...

Vern

Old 08-08-2005, 06:02 AM
don1077
Junior User
There's a lot to be said for having a truck you can drive from the get-go.
You get the opportunity for some enjoyment before the pain. I think it would be great to have the opportunity to drive it while laying out your grand plan.
I literally brought my 53 home "in a bucket". The pain started as soon as it got pushed into the garage. My advise, Get the running driver. Devise your plan, save your cash, build it as you can afford it.
Oh by the way George, Taking up Golf will get you to that $11,783.57 a lot faster than Bowling.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Perfection is very time consuming, something younger, single people can better afford.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Broomfieldbum
Laughing Gas

Smile

I do have a 1996 F-250 Powerstroke for a daily driver, but I want the old truck, because they just drive better. You have to pay attention to what you are doing. Old trucks are less forgiving than my powerstroke, and that is what makes them great. I will most likely end up sharing drive time between the old and new trucks. I think after hearing all your comments I may end up getting the new truck. One person has already emailed me about possibly buying part or all of my 57. I guess I will just post what is left on here, and see what I can get.

Thanks all,

Broomfieldbum

Old 08-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Broomfieldbum
Laughing Gas

Talking

Originally Posted by Fifty4F100
If I were anywhere near Colorado, I would go for the driver. The 57 292 is supposed to be the best Y block made. The later years were detuned. Is this driver a stepside or styleside?
Both the truck I have and the one I am looking at are stylesides. I like the step side truck if the whole truck is that way. If the cab is styleside I like the bed to be too.

Broomfield bum

Old 08-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Fifty4F100
Laughing Gas
Keep us up to date as to what you are going to do.

Quick Reply: Thinking of starting over with another Truck