5r55e - Harsh reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 08:22 PM
dirk_diggler79
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5r55e - Harsh reverse

I have a 2002 Ranger 4x4 with the 5r55e trans. that I just fixed up (was wrecked). When the transmission is cold (like first start-up of the day), it shifts into reverse normally. However, once it warms up to normal operating temperature, there's about a 2-3 second delay before it engages, and then it engages HARD. I'm not noticing any problems in the forward gears, just reverse, and then only when it's warm. Fluid is up at the normal level.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? I did have the battery cable off a few days ago, but I don't think it's just the computer not being adapted yet. It's engaging way too hard to just be that.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:26 PM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrrr, the 5R55e....

Just so happens this tranny is the same, so I am told, as in my 2004 Lincoln LS. Nice car, tranny sucks.

Anyway, at least with the car, the tranny is known to have problems with harsh shifting, delayed reverse etc. Ford has several TSBs out on it. At least for cars under warranty, Ford is fixing them free and including a free rental if needed. I also think if you moan about it, Ford has a customer satisfaction program where they still take care of the problem under warranty even if you are not.

What happens is that the valve body and solenoids appear to have problems. After awhile, my 2004 had 14,000 when it needed repair, the tranny has a delayed shift to reverse or delayed upshifts or extremly harsh(feels like you got rear ended by a bus) shifts in higher gears. These conditions eventually lead to overheating and damage of varying degrees. You may have just one sympton or several, the problem is still the same.

What Ford does is first add some tranny additive and or reflash the computer. If that doesn't work they drop the tranny and take a peak. In my case the improver did NOT work and they dropped the tranny saw evidence of overheating and replaced the valvebody and solenoid pack and I think did some minor rebuild type work. Car runs great now.

You could go to the Lincoln LS page that is similar to the Ford Truck page we are on now and do a search, lots of bellyaching on this topic.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Only thing that worries me, is that some of the guys there have had this problem happen more than once and had to have another valve body or solenoid pack put in, under warranty at least.

I am not sure how your tranny might be different but on the cars, there is NO Dipstick and the only way to check the fluid is to pull what looks like a drain plug. There is a little pipe in there that is above fluid level. If fluid dribbles out, you have it, if none does, then you need fluid. Man I hate that. Supposedly to add fluid you cannot just pour it in, there is no place to pour, it has to be pumped in thru the little pipe. I have also heard there is a fill plug somewhere on the side of the tranny, but I haven't needed to do that yet, only had the car since March this year.

So good Luck, but you sound like you have the "classic" problem us Lincoln owners seem to have, lucky guy.

Jim Henderson