Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Torque converter lockup failed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 08:19 AM
m_disco
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Torque converter lockup failed?

I have a '99 xlt 4x4 with the 4.0 SOCH. A couple of times this spring the o/d off light started flashing. I took it to my mechanic and he pulled the code:
P0741 - somthing like 'torque converter lockup failed' I can't quite remember what exactly the coed means.
Thing is this hasn't happed again since around March and I also noticed it only came on when driving in the rain.
Is it possible that someting goes wrong when the torque converter gets wet or could it be an electrical connection or something not working right when wet?

Also I was wondering what the noise sounds like with the SOCH timing chain guide issues. Not noticing anything right now but would just like to know what to look for.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2004, 09:11 AM
m_disco
Junior User
Anyone????

Old 06-01-2004, 09:12 AM
hallaalex
New User
I had the same problem code with my '97. I changed the fluid and filter but the problem persisted. Finally took it to the dealer and had a complete fluid replacement done (make sure Mercron V is used) and the code reset. No problems since!!! If this had not fixed the problem then would have replaced the lockup solenoid located just inside the pan.

Old 10-01-2004, 01:07 PM
m_disco
Junior User
Had the fluid replacement done, and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Old 06-13-2005, 06:11 PM
m_disco
Junior User
I need to bring this thread back from the dead.

So I had the problem I posted above last year, and the light started coming on a little more frequently, from once a week too once every two weeks. At the beginning of July I had the transmission fluid flushed and the problem went away Until November. The light came back on in November, and once again in February or March or something.
Now starting around mid May (this year) It started coming on about once a week, and has been getting more frequent, now it seems to be occuring once a day. I can drive to work in the morning (30-40 min drive) without the light coming on, but then coming home in the afternoon it will turn on. I'll usually pull over (depending on how close I am to home) shut the truck off and restart it to clear the tranny from 'limp home' mode and it doesn't come back for the rest of the day.

Today driving home the light came on on me twice during my drive home. I stoped in at my mechanics and had the codes pulled and it was the same code P0741 (Torque Converter Stuck off) as before.

Driving wise it seems to shift fine, but I did notice the torque converter lock up kinda early once ( I think I was doing between 50 to 60 km/h).

Searching aroud here it looks like it may be the lock-up solonoid or the valve body. Why would a fluid change fix the problem for a while only to have it come back though?

I'm waiting for my Ford Service CD to arrive before I try to actually look at the truck.
Any help or suggestions in narowing down the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:09 PM
m_disco
Junior User
no one????

Old 06-24-2005, 12:17 PM
gjmcclain
New User
This same thing happened to me. O/D light flashed pretty much every time I drove it towards the end. Did you do the fluid change yourself? The reason I ask is to see if you saw the fluid before it was changed. Mine was black, with lots of fine metallic particles in it. I changed it out, but that didn't stop the flashing light. Otherwise it seemed fine. Then one day, the transmission just went out. The torque convertor had failed, and when it did that, it caused the pump to lock up. I had a mechanic rebuild everything for $1300. In your case, if the same thing is happening, then I'm guessing maybe the new fluid helped the torque convertor hold on for a little while, then as the fluid degraded, it started slipping again and caused the error code again. Had I paid attention to this a little more, maybe I could have put in a new torque convertor and avoided the rebuild. Could be the same thing with yours.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:57 AM
m_disco
Junior User
No, I didn't change the fluid myself. I had a flush done by a lube shop. I checked the condition of the fluid the other day (just using the dipstick) and it didn't seem dirty, still red. The more I think about it, the more I think it may be the torque converter rather than the solonoid or vave body gasket seeing as the problem is intermitent rather than all the time.