Sponsored by: Moser

Late 70's Drop Pitman Arm hits the 6" Spring Clamp

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 03:27 PM
HighProCam
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late 70's Drop Pitman Arm hits the 6" Spring Clamp

I'm sure, I'm not the first to put a Skyjacker lift on a Ford, but I can't find posts that have had this problem.

I've got a 6" lift with the drop pitman arm and a drop drag link. But my steering travel is limited a little by the srping clamp on the front of the spring pack. And further if the spring clamp was removed (theres one on the back of the spring pack too), the pitman arm could swing over the spring pack and when I hit a bump while turning (turnin and burnin), Blam-Oh, the spring compresses into my steering box.

I know, cross-over steering, ...but really is this the best engineering Skyjacker can do. I'm wondering what you guys have done. If maybe I could raise the steering arm on the axle up, keep the drag link, and put the stock (higher) pitman arm on. And have all the clearance I need.

Let me know...

Old 06-16-2005, 04:25 PM
Amtek
Senior User
hmm, could you take pictures of your setup? I'm having a hard time picturing it in my head.

(whoa..an earthquake just rolled through)

Old 06-16-2005, 04:53 PM
HighProCam
Senior User
Earthquake... Wow, ya the other day. We had some tsunami warning thing. Like an E.Q. in Eureka is going to get me wet all the way up here in Olympia.

Back to Business.

I'll get a pic tonight, but the pitman arm hangs out towards the driver side tire and when I turn left it moves forward towards the front spring pearch. The pitman arm has a key way in it so it can only go on in 90 degree increments.

Example, from what I know to make it x-over steering you turn it back 90 so the pitman arm is point back over the axle not pointing at the tire. and run your drag link over to the passenger side.

Since I've talked about it twice now. I don't want to do a x-over, but its the only answer I've found so far. If someone knows what parts I'm going to need and its a bolt on, I just might do that instead. But I'd like to find a fix for what I've got if possible.

Anyone raise the steering arm thats bolted to the axle.
Or maybe flipped the drag link so that the tie rod end are on top of the pitman arm and axle arm.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:09 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
You cant flip it because of the taper in the arm. I think my steering arm was blocked around 3", before i went cross over.

Last edited by mark a.; 06-16-2005 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:43 PM
HighProCam
Senior User
Here some pics

Old 06-17-2005, 04:28 PM
HighProCam
Senior User
Did you have to fab up an arm off the passenger side axle and or the x-over link?

Nobody has a 6" suspension with the drop links like me, huh?

Old 06-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Amtek
Senior User
Ah i see what you'er talking about. I never though there would be clearance issues on a setup like that. But I think you're tall enough to justify a cross-over steering setup. The angles on that drag link are awful! I think there are spacers you can put ontop of your knuckle, but It wont help if your pitman arm are hitting the leaf spring. I guess the only other option is to get a pitman arm with less drop and a spacer for the knuckle. Have you called skyjacker about this?

To do a cross over steering setup you simply rotate the pitman arm, buy a crossover steering arm for the left knuckle of your axle and fabricate a draglink between the two with your choice of using Tie rod ends or Heim joints.

Old 06-18-2005, 12:05 AM
460 Crew
Elder User
Bullet proof http://bulletproofsteering.com/main.html has drop pitman arms that are fully adjustable and different size drops or you could even get your crossover steering stuff from them I have their rockproof draglink with spherical rod ends with no complaints. Purchased my left side knuckle steering arm I got off a guy on ebay if your interested send me an email or PM

Old 06-20-2005, 10:29 AM
HighProCam
Senior User
Thanks for the info. That web site has a lot of nice stuff for x-over steering.
I guess I'll start researching this x-over steering idea.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:26 AM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The easiest solution is a bigger lift. Seriously though, I've seen several local guys running that exact same setup and none of them had any problems with the pitman arm hitting the spring. That's a new one to me! I will tell you that I got one of them to build a crossover steering system and his truck handles a lot better since I talked to him last. I have a gallery that covers some of the details for crossover that you may want to check out and see if it helps you at all.

Old 06-20-2005, 12:41 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
I think URU makes a raised arm for the 44. I know i've seen blocks advertized for them somewhere, maby Trail Master ?

Old 06-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Amtek
Senior User
http://www.offroadunlimited.com/stor...products_id=99

This kit has everything you need and wont have to fab anything up. Its pricey, but its a one time fix. Though its still just a Dana 44. If you plan to off road much and run bigger tires, you may want to consider swapping in a Dana 60 and work off that.

Just got my ORU X-over steering arm yesterday, it came with cone washers and I only need to get longer bolts then its ready to be put together.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=80174&.jpg

Old 06-21-2005, 12:05 AM
460 Crew
Elder User
Heck ya thats pricey I normally don't care what it costs when I want something but I pieced together my crossover setup for around 300 bucks thats with spherical rod ends, I had fun piecing it together. Most ppl say im not right in the head but it's a matter of opinion I guess.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:25 AM
bigcrunch2
Freshman User
I did a cross over steering on my 76 f100, it has f250 axles, works fabulous, send your knuckle to parts mike if it has the flat spot with 3 bumps underneath it, he makes arms too. use a steering box from a mid 70's 2 wheel drive half ton, some welding required take it ti a certified person for that.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:29 AM
bigcrunch2
Freshman User
also heims are illegial to use on steering on some states

Quick Reply: Late 70's Drop Pitman Arm hits the 6" Spring Clamp